1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whosoever Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Winman

When you show where I suggest that prayer to GOD is evil [on another thread] then I will consider responding to your posts.

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

No, God does not love the wicked. In fact, that's exactly what the bible says.

The love of God is everlasting. The idea of God's love ending is against the scriptures, and the idea of God allowing one He loves to go to hell is against the very character of God.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I did answer you and you know it. I showed your quote. But if you wish to play childish games go ahead, I can't stop you.

But John 3:16 says God does love the ungodly. He loves the world which means all of mankind, not just the elect.

And I showed you where the scriptures say Jesus loved the young rich ruler who was not saved.

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

4. OldRegular

You lie Winman!

Post #57 of the following:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=64153

#24 OldRegular, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

You sure like to call folks liars. Post #57 in that thread shows your quote. Here it is again.

Once again, you seem to imply that if I or anyone else prays to God to stop abortions, that somehow that is usurping God's sovereingty.

Just what can you do without usurping God's sovereingty in your doctrine?

Now I know why Cals/DoGs are called "The Frozen Chosen" !!

6. OldRegular

If you will read above Winman I was associating some of your posts with the attitude of the Word Faith heresy. They believe thay can pull GOD's chain and get what they want. You imply this when you state
    That was the context of the statement:

To which you replied:

So you see Winman you accused me of suggesting that praying to GOD is evil. THat is a lie! In fact it is an evil lie because it is basically accusing me of blasphemy. As you continue to post on anything regarding the Doctrine of Sovereign Grace your attitude has become increasingly bitter! You would do well to heed the following Scripture:

Acts 8:22,23.
    22. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
    23. For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

To this question you replied:

Then OR says:

Why do so many of the Calvinists here attempt to divert any thread in which an answer is given to which they cannot reply without showing the errors of Calvinism?

8. OldRegular

Snow

Your above post is one of total confusion. You are connecting posts that have no relationship to each other. The post by me that you quoted above had absolutely no relationship to the posts by Winman and RAdam. I started this thread and have no desire to see it derailed.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, I am not familiar with those Word Faith folks, I have no idea what they believe.

But we can pray for personal needs and desires, Jesus said so.

Matt 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Jesus himself speaks of us asking for just about anything, and things we desire. I did not say that, Jesus did.

Now, I do not for one second believe God will grant an evil desire or want. You can't pray for your neighbor to fall dead because you are having an argument with him. You can't pray to win the lottery because that is a dishonest way to get money.

But if something is good, God will give that to you. If you are out of work and need a job to support your family, you can pray about that and I believe God will answer. He wants you to support your family honestly.

Hezekiah prayed for his health and God added 15 years to his life. Paul prayed for his health. God did not grant Paul's request, but the point is, Paul knew it was acceptable to pray for his health. If it was sinful to do so Paul would not have prayed like this. Paul knew scripture and God's will better than any man other than Christ himself. If Paul prayed for health, then it is not wrong to do so.

But then you make that smart remark about praying to end abortion, and that somehow God has to grant it because I have power.

This is what I meant by you making prayer to be evil. I explained it, and I am sure everybody reading here understands what I am saying.

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So does world mean all of mankind when Jesus says, "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you?" Does it mean that when John tells us "love not the world, neither the things that are in the world?" Does it mean all of mankind when children of God are contrasted with the world?

The love of God is everlasting. It never ends. To say that God loves people that are in hell, or that God loves people but would allow them to go to hell, is not only against scripture it is against the very character of God.

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Take it easy Regular,

You know you have no intention of doing anything except what you have done in the past. Ask a question and ignore every answer and claim they don't answer your question.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Context, context, context!

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "when the Lord says "Whosoever," I cannot get out of that circle. It is a big net that seems to entangle all men in its meshes. "Whosoever." If I call upon the name of the Lord, if you call upon the name of the Lord, if the man who lies upstairs a-dying calls upon the name of the Lord, we shall be saved. What a wide word that "whosoever" is!" —Charles Spurgeon, The Whole Machinery of Salvation

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus told us to be like his father and love those that hate us.

Matt 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
    44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
    45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
    46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
    48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Jesus said if we only love those who love us, how are we better than sinners? They love those who love them. He told us to be like his Father who loves his enemies and blesses both the evil and the good.

The young rich ruler went away unsaved, but Jesus loved him.

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
    22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
    23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

#34 Winman, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  15. OldRegular

Your excuse for saying that I believed prayer is evil is totally irrational to the point of spiritual sickness.

#35 OldRegular, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  16. OldRegular

You are taking the same irrational path of Winman!

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Nope, just stating Baptistboard history.

18. OldRegular

Getting back to the OP noting that no response has been made to my well meant request:

When confronted with the Doctrine of Sovereign Grace in Salvation those who lold the doctrines of Pelagianism, semi-Pelagianism, Arminianism, or Freewillism like to fall back to Scripture such as the following:

John 3:16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Revelation 22:17. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

I would sincerely appreciate if those who hold the above Freewill doctrines would show how the Doctrine of Sovereign Grace in Salvation is contrary to the above passages or contradicts any other passage they use to defend their beliefs!

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We use the above Scriptures. They are in the Bible. I trust they are in yours as well. Perhaps the better question is: How does an extreme Calvinist as yourself use these Scriptures when God does all the regeneration before a person is even saved, and the "whosoever" in the verse, then becomes absolutely meaningless. I didn't know the Bible had meaningless verses.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

It's a trick question to begin with. These verses do not contradict DoG doctrine, but it must be understood they redefine "whosoever will"

We understand whosoever will to be any man who is willing.

They understand whosoever will as those enabled to be willing.

It is the same with "whosoever believeth", non-Cals interpret this to be any man that believes, they define it as those only who are enabled to believe.

So, it's a trick question to begin with. No one is fooled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.