1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whosoever Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Listen to yourself. I am sure if you talk with Olson on your problems he will talk with you. State a few?

Mediate theology will be the way forward. Calvinism will fall. Just watch and see. Time goes bye. It's amazing the way people protect Calvinism as if it's Scripture. The guy burnt someone to death. And all in the name of God? :)

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Then you really do need to read Martyn Lloyd-Jones [Particularly his 3 volume set of sermons on theology.] who was also Welsh Calvinist Methodist!

3. David Michael Harris

I like Jones but a couple of things put me off him, one was he thought testimonies were stupid and a waste of time and another he said, that people should at some time in their life seek an experience of the Holy Spirit. Some time? Geez.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I made the same point in my last post.

5. OldRegular

Perhaps in the final apostasy? No! Not really, the Doctrines of Sovereign Grace will never fall!

6. David Michael Harris

Shields up.

7. OldRegular

Sorry! Had not read past his post.

8. David Michael Harris

Calvinism is Scripture?

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

So "whosoever shall call" does not mean "anyone who calls"? What does whosoever mean to you? To me it means that ANYONE who calls on God for forgiveness and salvation WILL be saved. God does not turn ANYONE away who truly repents and seeks His forgiveness.

10. David Michael Harris

Big John Elias fan here btw. Mainly because he preached to the unconverted. He was a strong predestinarian as I am in my puny way. They call him a hyper calv on wiki but I have never seen him look like that in his books. Most are in Welsh and not translated I will agree.

11. RAdam

RAdam New Member

The wicked, though the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Because for some strange and unfathomable reason they want to believe that God is incapable of saving everyone if they all came to Him, and so they say that He choose to save some and not others. That is totally unscriptural. My God is bigger and better than that. He is not petty, weak, or unforgiving to some and forgiving toward others.

His offer of forgiveness is to ALL. What we do with that offer is up to us. That's where free will comes in since we are not puppets on a string.

13. David Michael Harris

And? What's your point? Is that to Calvin?

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

That's what whosoever means--those who will believe. It is our choice to accept or reject Him--our choice to believe or not. He "foreknew" who would or would not accept Him, and He chose us according to that foreknowledge. God knew everything that would ever happen long before the creation of the world.

15. David Michael Harris

What you will find Jon Marc is most who hold to this are brought up in today's fellowships of various historical backgrounds and not born again off the street.

Not all.

When you say His offer is to ALL you will get flak on that.

16. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So, after ten pages of debate, we still haven't identified this "Whosoever Will" person. Perhaps he's the brother of "Trespassers Will", the person who caused great strife to Winnie The Pooh.

18. David Michael Harris

Well, enlighten us Spock. :)

Off to eat, back later.

19. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I say that? I said that whosoever believeth does not strictly connote "anyone CAN believe."

I explained this earlier. It means "[all] the ones who..."

Yes, I agree with this. What I was explaining was that whosoever does not specifically dictate ability. It mere states the qualification.

Too many people misunderstand the English word whosoever as it translates "all the ones... ___ing." People think that the word itself stands alone as some declaration of universal ability. The word does NOT say anything about the ability of everyone to do X. It only says that the ones who actually do X are the qualifiers.

20. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So when Paul says we believe according to the working of His mighty power which He wrought in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and set Him at His own right hand in heavenly places, etc, he was mistaken? According to you Paul should have written that we believe according to our own free will decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.