1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why a carpenter?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rubato 1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Why was Jesus a carpenter? Why not a shepherd? Why not a stone-mason? Or goldsmith?

Surely his occupation on earth was significant to his purpose?

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

He was considered to be the Carpenter's Son, by those that knew His family. That is why He was associated with the profession. If Joseph had of been a shepherd or stone mason then He would have been associated with those vocations. Other than that I don't see any special significance unless you want to spiritualize it and try to come up with something based on that.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Interesting question. As a carpenter, He took scraps of wood and made beautiful things out of them. Things that were also useful and made for the purpose that He (the creator) intended. As carpenters do sometimes, He may have inscribed His family name on the piece He made so that others would know who designed and made it.

He did the same thing with me. He took scraps of a broken human and made something beautiful. Then He put His name on me so that others would know who I belong to.

Not scriptural. It just popped in my head. :)

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Amy, those are interesting points.
    I am sure that everything was done for a reason, including the occupation of a carpenter.
    Exactly why I am not sure but that is an interesting speculation.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if carpentry was a widespread job back then or if being
    a farmer was?

In other words, were there bunches of carpenters back then, or just
    a lucky few?

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about the fact that he was going to build his church... or that he has gone to prepare a place for us? That might show the link.

I don't usually try to make a spiritual link out of everything in the life of Christ. For me it's like over-detailing the parables of the Lord Jesus.

7. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

The real question is whether or not he was a carpenter. He may have been a stone-mason. The word translated as "carpenter", can also mean builder.

Either works.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why a carpenter?
    He might have started as a Computer repairman but the demand for them just wasn't strong in those days.

Rob

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Could it be so that trendy 21st-century Christians could have stickers on their cars sayin, "Carpenter from Nazareth seeks joiners!"?

Seriously, though, the only place in the bible where He is said to be a carpenter is in Mark 6.3, in the words of those who were offended by Him:

"Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" And they were offended at Him.​
    The corresponding passage in Matthew has "carpenter's son". I think it worthy of notice that nowhere do we read of Jesus referring to Himself as a carpenter. The only occupation He applies (figuratively) to Himself is that of shepherd.

#9 David Lamb, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

David, that is very true. And that is the reason I was wondering...

Thanks for the responses, and fell free to give me more.

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Rubato,

I believe it gives us a picture of the Son of God as creator and householder whose Father, like Joseph, was His Teacher.

Two reasons:

1) To me, it brings out the dispensational aspect of creation -- of "building" His "house" from scratch and in "phases."

2) Another thought is that He is the one in charge of the "house." We find this especially in the "kingdom of heaven." I find this application particularly poignant in Mt 24:36 and 43 where Jesus says a) not even I know when that (rapture) day will come but b) "if the goodman of the house [householder] had known what hour, he would not have allowed His house [church] to be broken up." The church is going to be "broken up" between wise and unwise virgins at the rapture (described in Mt 24:40-41).

Perhaps others can think of other applications after considering these(?) :jesus:

skypair