1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why All the Choking At Rev 1:19?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Wow Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! TC Greek you figured out something 46 of the best translators, who could “speak” Greek (better than every person on this board put together) could not figure out. Hummmmm

Just an observation,
    And just think men actually spent time thinking and dialoguing on this :laugh:

Ehud
    If it an't broke don't fix it

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am grateful the KJV translators didn't take this advice

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The KJV has done well on Rev 1:19.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice the different ways these three versions translated the Greek word, "καὶ".
    I've bolded the word as it is used in the different versions.

When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, “Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,
    and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
    “Therefore write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after these things.

Revelation 1:17-19 NASB95

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
    I am he that liveth, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
    Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

Revelation 1:17-19 AV 1873

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.
    I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
    “Write, therefore, what you have seen: both what is now and what will take place later.

Revelation 1:17-19 TNIV

The word "καὶ" is found 9 times in the [NA27] Greek text shown above [10 times in the Hodges/Farstad Majority text]

The NAS consistantly translated the word as "and" all nine times.
    The KJV also translates it as "and" seven times but also translates it with a colon twice in verse 18.

The TNIV follows the KJV in verse 18 but employs a colon in verse 19 too.

If I remember correctly "καὶ" is frequently untranslated in the gospel of Mark.

In the BAGD Lexicon [391-393] there is a rather lengthy discussion of the words different uses which contribute "greatly to the distictive coloring of the NT style"

Rob

#24 Deacon, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rob, the translation of kai has always been problematic, as seen in the various translations.

The point I'm making is reflected in some major translations while others have taken a different approach.

The NET, a very good translation, has:

"Therefore write what you saw, what is, and what will be after these things."

but the following as a textual note:

"Grk “Therefore write the things that you saw, and the things that are, and the things that will take place after these things.” Verse 19 could also be translated (taking καί…καί [kai…kai] as “both…and”): “Therefore write what you have seen, both what things currently are and what is going to happen after these things.” The structure of this verse is debated."