1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are christians judged according to their works?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I don't need to prove anything. The Bible is sufficient. It disproves your argument. You simply don't know how to read it.

I'm amazed that your church hasn't called you out.

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well here's another strawman argument you folks make when you can't deal with Scripture. The burden of proof does not lie with me. It is not my job to "prove" to anyone anything. I am merely supposed to repeat Truth.

You are the one that has charged me with being wrong, so why is it my job to prove I'm right when you are the one that has laid the accusation? I've never understood that. Why is it so difficult for you all to "prove" your beliefs with Scripture if in fact you are SO right? Why are you always throwing the ball into someone's court. If you make the accusation take the ball and put it through the hoop. Again if you are SO right it shouldn't be that difficult. So I'll await your PM so we can start our discussion.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Really so your only responsibility is to tell people they are wrong. You don't have any responsibility to show them or tell them the Truth . . . wow . . . you all get more amazing as the days go buy.

Well we can actually agree on that statement.

So again I'm just supposed to stop believing what I believe and believe like you because you say so. Give me a break.

By all means please enlighten me then master reader of the Bible. Oh wait you don't have the responsibility to the Truth other than to believe it right. You don't have to share it with others. I remember. :laugh:

4. His Blood Spoke My Name

1 John 3:2 (KJV) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Since the Word of God says we will be like Him when we see Him, He cannot send the Child of God to Hell. We will be like Him when we see Him. If we are like Him and must go to hell to be purged, then He would need purging as well.

No, we will be pure when we see Him, we will be spotless and without blame.

The above verse is enough to prove that a Child of God will not go to hell.

5. His Blood Spoke My Name

What Scripture? You haven't produced any Scripture. Only incessant ramblings.

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's my point! I see that you have put one forth, so let's see if it proves your point.

7. bmerr

bmerr New Member

DHK,

bmerr here. Actually, 1 Cor 3:13-15 needs to be kept in it's context, which begins in verse 4. The Corinthians were dividing (denominating) over different ministers, which Paul sternly condemns in his letter.

3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

Paul brings the work of the minister into perspective in the following verses:

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
    6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
    8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
    9 For we [Paul and Apollos] are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

So far, we have Paul and Apollos as labourers, and the Corinthians identified as the labour, or the work.

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation [planted], and another [Apollos] buildeth thereupon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
    11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
    13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    14 If any man's work abide which he hath built therupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself [the labourer] shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

Now how can I say such things? There are several verses in which Paul refers to his readers, his converts, as his work, his labour, their being built on the foundation of Christ, or their faithfulness affecting his rejoicing at the Judgement. Here are a few. Look them up and see for yourself.

1 Cor 9:1; Eph 2:19-22; Phil 2:15-16; 1 Thes 3:5; 1 Pet 2:5

Additionally, in this same letter to the Corinthians, Paul speaks of his own self discipline and self control, and the reason for it, namely, "...lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway" (1 Cor 9:27). Paul was not speaking of rewards here, but of his own eternal soul.

I know this goes against the popular OSAS doctrine, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I think you have a misunderstanding of the passage.

In Christ,

bmerr

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well let's just see if that holds up to be true or not.

Here is the verse that you have put for as your "proof":

1 John 3:2 (KJV) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Now here is "your" commentary on the verse:

Here is the problem with "your" commentary. You say that the "Word of God says we," and you assume the "we" means all Christians. But there is nothing in that Scripture that says all Christians. It doesn't every imply all Christians.

Once again you have read something into the text that is not there to "prove" "your" point.

The verse says the "we" are the sons of God. So now you are going to have to produce a passage of Scripture that says all children become sons.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Problem.

There is no "go to hell - get purged - go to heaven - be a saint, be happy" in all of scripture.

There is no "soul goes to hell - spirit goes to heaven" in all of scripture.

When you get to the point of having to rely on teachings that can not be found in all of scripture - it is time to choose another horse.

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    hmm - I agree with DHK there on just that part.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is true. but more pointedly NOTHING says "the wicked spend x-years in hell then go to heaven, then are happy, then are saints, then are pretty much ok"

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

(I can't believe I am agreeing with HBSMN again)

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly no "Gospel promise" of "spending 1000 years in hell then going to heaven"

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

If it isn't in the Word of God, there is no sense in trying to add it. There are severe consequences for doing such.

Revelation 21:27 (KJV) And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither [whatsoever] worketh abomination, or [maketh] a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Cor 5 and Romans 2 speak to the Judgment seat of Christ as does James 2.

But 1Cor 3 does not. 1Cor 3 does not involve anyone dying or a future judgment scene. It speaks of Evangelists PREACHING (Apollos and Paul in this case) and states that the substance of their teaching must be built upon the foundation of Christ. IF their teaching is found to be some thing inferior it (the TEACHING) will be purged away from the body of Christ.

The CONTEXT is a discussion about SAINTS who are in this case evangelists - whose teaching may not always be absolutely perfect in all areas.

Hopefully some of you can identify with that.

But the point in 1Cor 3 is not that "God will deal with them at the JSOC" it is that "God will purge away the TEACHING from the true church of God" rather than let the degrees of error fester.

Of course the true church of God is spiritual and so even when the formally organized church goes astray - as did the Jews at the time of Christ and the RCC in the dark ages - the true church continues on - without WAITING for the JSOC due to the principle of 1cor 3 that has nothing to do with the JSOC!

Ahhh - I am back to differing with DHK - ok all is well again.

In Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bingo!!

You are right - and as it turns out 2Cor 5:10 IS About the Judgment seat of Christ whereas 1Cor 3 is not!! So you get A+

Now and then Xd surprises me!

As Romans 2 and Romans 6 state clearly the "wages of sin is DEATH" the reward for those bad deeds - is hell, torment in the lake of fire - the 2nd death. Bad stuff.

The bible does not say "by your good deeds you will know you".

Ever wonder why that is?

in Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is true according to Romans 3 that ALL are still today fully condemned as sinners and guilty of hell according to the Moral Law of God that STILL exists and still shows humanity to be "sinners".

It is also true that through the Gospel we are "born again" and the blood of Christ covers our sins.

But at the JSOC - the Romans 2 rule is used.

At the JSOC the James 2 rule is used.

At the JSOC the Dan 7 result of "Judgment passed in favor of the saints" is according to the Rule of Christ in Matt 7.

And that brings up the problem that this thread is trying to resolve.

In Christ,

Bob

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

So the logical question is why do you do it so much? :laugh: Because I'm not the only one that has pointed out your ability to do just that.

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

Not only do the majority agree with my stand on this topic, but also the Word of God agrees with my stand.

The Child of God will not be put in hell for a thousand years. Christ's righteousness has been imputed to the Child of God and Christ is the advocate or lawyer for that Child.

I have never seen a defense attorney argue for a stiff punishment for his client. Nor will Christ impose such a sentence on the Child of God.

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Oh here we go with the illogical "majority" argument. By the same argument had you been living in the times of the NT you probably would have sided with the Pharisees and Saduccees huh, they were in the majority too.

Just becuase the "majority" agrees with some doesn't make it right. And actually the "majority" is not really where one wants to find himself in the lukewarm church that we have today according to Scripture.

That argument holds no water whatsoever.

Well you keep saying that, but you haven't put your money where your mouth is yet, so I'm still waiting.

Christ's righteousness being imputed to us for eternal purposes. We are talking about the 1000-year reign of Christ. Those are different subjects.

And Christ is our Advocate before the Father IF we will allow Him to be. That is not an automatic.

We are to prove ourselves worthy for the 1,000-year reign of Christ.

Well sorry, but personal experience does not make Truth.