1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are many Christian colleges full of liberal Profs

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dallasdid, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

I am wondering why many of todays Christian colleges are filled with liberal teachers. I know of a school in Missouri that is Southern Baptist and the missions teacher teaches this meditating junk like Christians stuff mixed with eastern asian cult stuff. And at this same college there is a teacher who supports evolution teaching science there and a teacher who does not think Bible is inspired. Why are so many Christian colleges hiring liberal unscriptural teachers that will influence so many pastors, missionaries and men and women of God.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Dallas,

You paint with a broad brush. Firt how do you define Christian College - TCU and SMU, Princeton, etc and to some extent Baylor are or were "Christian Colleges" I think that for the most part students know the type of school they are going to before they go. If they want a very conservative Christian College there are many to choose from. If they are looking for a "prestige" college that has Christian elements to it they have many choices there as well. I think that they or their parents can find out how liberal the college is in advance and make thier choices accordingly.

As to the question of a SBC college in MO. with a missions teacher teaching eastern religions, what is the source of your info, or is it someone heard from someone else? Does the sience teacher actually believe in evolution, or does he/she teach it so that the students are prepared to discuss/refute evolution in the real world - by that I mean outside of college. Many of the students are probably pre med etc, and will need to have a good grasp of evolutionary concepts as they further their studies.

I am sending a child to a state school next year and are well aware of the doctrines that will be shoved down her throat, fortunately she is strong spiritually and plans to join and be active in either BSM, Navigators or Campus Crusade

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is a perceived need to fill a slot by someone.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not just in the colleges. I ran into that a lot in the second church I pastored. It was SBC too.

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

College professors are prone to use logic and think for themselves.

To a certain kind of pharasaic fundamentalist, this is anathema.

6. aefting

aefting New Member

Although I don't believe that fundamentalists are pharasaic, I do tend to agree with you. :eek:

There is not much original thinking among fundamentalists. We tend to be good parrots but not good thinkers. Don't get me wrong though, our thinking still needs to be bounded by the Word of God and orthodoxy.

Andy

7. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Though I think I know what you mean, I want to point out a couple of important things here. First, fundamentalists do not necessarily eshew critical thinking. Many of them do, of course, so you will have many examples to fling back at me. However, many liberals, moderates, and conservatives are equally unthinking, accepting their own conclusions without giving it a second thought.

Second, though perhaps more important, thinking for oneself is not honoring to God. If our thinking is not bound by the word of God and does not submit to Him in all things, it is sinful. I do not think that you meant that we should be autonomous in our reasoning (separated from God in our thoughts), but I thought it worth pointing out that the secular man's idea of thinking for oneself is completely at odds with the biblical conception of reasoning. I think that we should use our minds to the utmost (this is commanded of us in Scripture), but we should remember that our thoughts and reasonings should be always be held captive to the word of Christ.

Lon

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't that kind of like asking why did Henry Blackaby recently state in address that so many people are conservative theologically and yet are a practical atheists.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal as in what?

As in not fundamental? (That doesn't make you a liberal)

As in not young earth? (That doesn't make you a liberal)

As in not KJVo (Thank God, that doesn't make you a liberal)

10. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

As long as what you teach doesn't violate the Word of God then its not liberal. Some of what was mentioned above does but I think a lot of SBC college's are probably just liberal compared to IFB churches that are legalistic.