1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are there so many religions?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That doesn't mean such a belief is a staple of Reformed Theology. It is not. There are Arminians that believe all sorts of wierd stuff that isn't consistent with mainline Arminian theology. That doesn't make it so either.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Dr. Hopkins is not uncommon, I will quote more Calvinists later who hold this same view.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Again, that doesn't make it so. You're trying to assert that this is a core Reformed belief, yet the Calvinists in this thread are all telling you it's not so.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, many Calvinists of today will probably not know who Dr. Samuel Hopkins is.
    And, this is one is said with no malice aforethought, you sometimes come across to me (and I only speak for myself) as somebody who is a little childish because you tend to jump to conclusions and then end up apologizing.
    I will advise you to weigh very carefully what you are going to say, and bear in mind that not everyone in any soteriological camp or color may share the same opinions or doctrines, and avoid making sweeping statements.
    For example, among Primitive Baptists, to which kyredneck and I belong, there is a disagreement on missions.
    There are Primitive Baptists who hold to Absolute Predestination, and this Dr. Hopkins will find a lot of allies among them.
    There are Primitive Baptists who are right now on the path to Calvinism, and there are those who are strictly Old School in their doctrine of election.
    There are Primitive Baptists who are freewillers, and these are mostly among the Black Primitive Baptists, although there are certainly Old Schoolers among them, as well.
    There are Primitive Baptists who do not hold to the doctrine of hell, notably some in Indiana.
    The majority of Primitive Baptists do not have Sunday Schools and do not use musical instruments, but those who call themselves Progressives use recorded music for accompaniment and hold Sunday Schools and Bible studies.
    On this board alone, not every Calvinist will agree on certain aspects of doctrine, and so with Arminians.
    So be careful with words you use.
    Just a fatherly advise.
    Take it and we just might be friends.
    Leave it and you'll end up clashing with a lot of people here.
    Personally, I would rather be friends with people, especially with those who name the Name of Christ, and that doesn't exclude you.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am not saying all the Calvinists here believe that, although there have been a few.

All I was doing is showing that some Calvinists themselves agreed that if God changed man's moral nature, then this makes God responsible for sin. That is what Dr. Hopkins was saying.

So, I am not slandering Calvinism, Calvinists themselves have held this opinion many times. You may not like that, but it is the truth.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this ape/dawg don't.
    So, don't use the word "you" because that sounds sweeping.
    Reference the source and ask why "he"/"she" believes that, and we'll give our yes or no's and aaahh's and ooomphs.

God is NOT the author of religions, man is.
    And the reason Jesus Christ came is to show His people how Jehovah God, the Creator, is to worshipped: in Spirit and in truth.
    The reason He created ministry and dispatched His apostles is so they can teach His people how Jehovah God is to be worshipped: in Spirit and in truth.
    The reason He called Paul late is so Paul can teach Gentiles how God is to be worshipped: in Spirit and in truth.
    Religion is not worshipping God in Spirit and in truth.
    Human religion, that is.
    That is Cain's religion, and God didn't author sin.
    On the other hand, Abel offered up a creature, something not a product of his own hands, something with blood, which is in accord with the act of God for Adam and Eve's iniquity where he slew an animal, shed its blood, and used its skin to cover Adam and Eve's nakedness.
    That seemed good to His eyes and that's what he meant when he told Cain, if thou doest good wouldn't thou be accepted (not verbatim).
    Cain knew what God required, remember that his parents were alive at this time, and they undoubtedly told him what happened at Eden.
    He knew, but he refused to submit to God's way.
    That is total depravity.