1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you a Baptist?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Why are you a Baptist rather than a Lutheran, Methodist, or Presbyterian?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Theological, primarily, with particular regard to (in decreasing order of importance) soteriology, high Biblicism, pneumatology/ charismatic-cessationist balance, and ecclesiology. I'm an evangelical first and foremost and a Baptist second

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I am baptist for the same reason we all are...because mama was [​IMG]

seriously, I am baptist because when I was at a time looking for the denomination that is closest to the truth I found two mainstream sects from which all other denominations seem to come from. First is the catholic church, from which all prostant and ortohdox churches get their doctrines and traditions from. (yes protestant churches differ on leadership and doctrines of salvation but their traditions still cling to catholic origins). Second is the Baptist Church from which all modern non denominational, chrismatic, pentecostal & one faith denominations have sprung from. Since these two are the main stream on doctrines and traditions I felt my two choices were of these two. Since I find just too many traditions in the catholic Church that are completely unbiblical (and a few that the bible strictly forbids) that helped me push out any protestant or catholic church. All that was left is the baptist and their spin-offs. Since I believe in the trinity and I do not believe in the modern tongues and healing movements, Baptist doctrine is what I see as being the closest thing to being a descendant of the Church started by the apostles. we believe what the Bible says and what it says we believe. To tell the truth, before I did a full study on doctrines I was intending on becoming a methodist. [​IMG] Nothing wrong with methodist I just believe in the baptist doctrine

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Theological conviction that no other group could touch.

5. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

Craig
    Sof far the answers have all been gobble-dee-gook or non specific. I was going to ask you the same thing, but you beat me to it.

1. B: Bible authorty c.f. tradition and others
    2. A: automony of the local church
    3. P: priesthood of the believer
    4. T: two ordinances: baptism, Lords Supper
    5. I: immersion of believers only
    6. S: salvation by grace through faith alone
    or S: security of the believer
    7. T: two offices of pastor/elder and deacon
    8. S: separation of church and state

Lately many have changed one of the "ts" to Tithing wihci I strongly object to.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why am I a Baptist?
    Why, if I weren't a Baptist I'd be ashamed. [​IMG]
    DHK

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

'cuz Jesus was-uh, bless God-uh ... Can I get an Amen-uh???? :D ...

Seriously, because the baptist distintives are what I believe the NT teaches. To be anything else would mean I would have to compromise what I believe Scripture teaches. Others of course can disagree with me and that is fine. I am not of the opinion that only Baptists are going to heaven. I just think the others are inconsistent with certain parts of the NT.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto Pastor Larry, the Baptists distinctives are my personal conviction as to why I am a Baptist.

However, exercising my soul liberty, I would like some kind of enhancement or refinement around the distinctive of the two offices pastor/deacon.

We lump under the one word "pastor" several functionaries such as "elder", "bishop" and "pastor" calling them synonymous terms.

"bishop" being extracted from "episcopos".

At one local Baptist church in which I was a member we had three offices: pastor, elder and deacon. In which I held all three (assistant pastor, elder, deacon) offices simultaneously.

No, I am not schizoid (well not any more anyway).

HankD

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists hold to sound biblical polity as contrasted to "denominations" or other evangelical groups.

When enough Baptists have gone the way some are doing (liberals like American Baptist or looney like the kjvo hyles type) then I will identify with another group . . that holds the same biblical polity.

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I began as a Baptist because I grew up in a Baptist church. I am still a babpist (I Think) because I have found the distinctives to be compelling, especially Security and Immersion. I do have a question though. If I think the Bible teaches a plurality of elders for the local church, am I still a Baptist?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course (according to Soul Liberty).

HankD

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

13. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

you mean there is something else to be rather than baptist? Oh, I thought you were either baptist or lost lol (j/k)

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am a baptist because I am a Christian.