1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you a Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Union Brother, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I guess it is my turn to answer my own question. When I was praying to be delivered from the burden of my sins I visited many different churches seeking a home. To name a few Free Will Baptist, SBC, Methodist, even Pentecostal, but none of them felt right. When I went into the Union Old Regular Baptist Church it felt like home and I have been there ever since. I love the doctrine, the order, the spirit filled preaching and singing. Simply put I love her ways. In short, I fully believe that God led me to being an Old Regular Baptist.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is Simple....

....I believe that I cannot lose my salvation. End of discussion. Once you are saved, and He writes your name in the Lamb's Book of Life, He will not erase, delete, or white out that entry.

No other denomination believes this, and I feel sorry for those who attend churches and make frequent trips to the alter to "be saved" again!:tear:

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't say it any better than that. The Old Baptists most definitely make you feel at home, and you're dead on spot about everything else.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    REVMAC,
    It is you who limit the atonement. The atonement Paul taught was a full atonement...100%.....the one you speak of tries to atone but does not as all in your atonement do not get saved.
    The biblical atonement was accomplished once for all time for those sanctified.
    Hebrews 10:10-14. This is what i mean by the historic faith .
    Some say the bridge is too narrow in calvinism......but our bridge goes all the way across. Your bridge sounds as if it only goes part way.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

On a thread that was titled why I am a baptist AIC remarks;
    Hey sag38.....where is all your righteous indignation with this foul comment?Like it or not almost all historic creeds are calvinistic. For him to blurt this out almost declares that His 'church" is almost devoid of truth!
    You do not seem to be upset at all with this....but I know somewhat where your sympathies lie.

You say in your church:
    Okay...so maybe I missed it...was AIC not deliberatately insulting Cals?
    Was he edifying the Cals here? If he is that rabid in his dislike of historic truth, I am not looking to co-operate with error to this extreme.
    This is not a game..or a light thing...If AIC..or you or anyone else wants to despise truth that is your right. Did you think I should have given him 4 thumbs up????
    I have been involved with churches that have all different kinds or levels of understand..or lack thereof.....no one even in there disagreement says what non cals say here...because they realize that if they are wrong...they are speaking directly against the truth of God.

You are welcome to your opinion as I am to mine. You say i am arrogant to respond to him this way..Fine, you believe what you will.....your self righteousness might be clouding an objective look at it.
    For AIC to refer to those who believe the scripture as showing up with " nonsensical drivel.... then point out they[his local church] reject calvinism when the thread is not about that....tells me what i am dealing with here.

#25 Iconoclast, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2011
  6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

That's simply not true.

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of Course....

....You would know that this is "simply not true!" Tell me, which denomination believes you cannot lose your salvation.

You make a declaration, but fail to provide an answer. Curious minds would like to know what you know! I would like to know what you know and claim, "is simply not true!"

Tick, tock, the clock is ticking. Share your knowledge, so I can no longer live in an be uninformed world! :tear:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Getting a little personal dont you think......let me add then that we reject humanistic free will ism.:p

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen brother:thumbs:

10. matt wade

Presbyterians believe in eternal security.

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

true, true, Presbyerians hold to perserverance of the saints, as do the Churches of Sovereign Grace Ministries, and many churches in the Evangelical free church of America (not sure if this is in their main creeds, or just the churches I know of ).

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hank,
    You understood correctly.....he posted what he did ....like a little boy looking for a cookie...after he thinks he did something worth a reward.
    Sag...and a few others just pile on and instigate....because that is mostly how they respond.:wavey::wavey:

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with you "righteousdude2"

Living with being saved today and the fear of being lost tomorrow, then having to wait until Sunday morning to make it all "official" again..., has got to be a drag and a terrible burden to face every day.

Hey, being a Christian should not be a burden.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Southern Baptist, to be exact. Entry point was a gracious one.

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Why are you a Baptist?

It happened this way,

SB.

Age five found I feared God.

Not all at once, but through the years my Sister, Mom, Brothers, Dad joined that Baptist church about 3 blocks from our house.

Sunday school, church, then BTU Sunday nights, Wednesday prayer meetings, and you name it, we were there. I was a visitor at the church.

These are not the exact words of the messenger, but at Age 9 a visiting Preacher at a two-week Revival meeting preached (Hope OK to say this here) Hell Fire, Damnation, and blood. What awaits the sinner looked to be the question? I knew I had at least One Sin by the time I was at the age of 5. That was bad enough, but the preacher was piling on more. He said everyone of you here today, including me, have sinned because we came into this world as a sinner, and we remain that way. We all have committed every sin that we can sin; but if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for your Salvation, YOU will be saved!! DO YOU BELIEVE THIS? Do you believe John 3:16? Who ever you are, God will save you, if you believe what He tells you.

I came to understand this before I walked the aisle. I was told if I wanted to join that church, I would have to be baptized. I said OK. All we six in our family belonged to the same church. That old church is now of another religion, but makes no difference for we all six are in the Real Everlasting living Church.

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Matt.....

.....thank you for following through! It would have been musch easier for you to have posted this info with your first comment, but, like I said, "that would have been easier!" Right???

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks
    HankD

18. matt wade

I thought you might have been able to figure it out on your own. You are right though, it was easier (for you) that I just gave you the answer.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, the Freewill Baptist churches, as a whole, believe you can be saved, and then, turn your back on the Lord, and walk back out into the world and be lost again.

There is a sect of United Baptists that also hold to this doctrine. Thye say you make "shipwreck of your faith", or something close to that.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I wanted to inform you, Bro. Paul!! I love you Brother!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

20. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Freewill Baptist churches, as a whole, believe you can be saved, and then, turn your back on the Lord, and walk back out into the world and be lost again.

There is a sect of United Baptists that also hold to this doctrine. Thye say you make "shipwreck of your faith", or something close to that.

convicted1, I agree with them in that "anyone" can walk back into the world at "anytime" given the right circumstances. But losing their salvation? No. I can't identify with that doctrine. Those who become so distraught returning to the old ways will come back. Wouldn't any "father" with compassion try to encourage his own son to come back? Of course they would. So why not our Heavenly Father?

This doctrine is a "club" used over the heads of their membership(s). A fear tactic. The Catholics are known for excommunicating those who don't toe the party line and many of them are terrified of this possibility.

Such confusion and we all know the Lord is not the author of confusion.

I had a Pentecostal member tell me once that, yes, I was probably "saved", seeing as how I was a Baptist..., but I wouldn't sit at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb unless I had received the Gift of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. I asked him if Jesus was aware of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.