1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why are you debating me?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So you are an old man who ought to know better.

[snipped]

#21 Luke2427, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Guys, this is bad. Hundreds read through our threads looking for answers to their theological questions and they have to read this. This doesn't represent us well, as believers, or as participants on this board. Edit your own comments or I'll be forced to do so.

Discuss the topic, not each other. PLEASE.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, I believe that to ordain something means to command it, yes. That is why I showed the definition several times from the dictionary. I know that you will DENY that ordain means to command, but that is simply you playing with the true definition of words. That is what you Calvinists do, you have your own set of definitions for words that is quite different than everyone else.

But what did Shakespeare say?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Shakespeare must have known some Calvinists.

Look Luke, if God has "determined" what must happen, that is the same as a command or decree. If God has determined a sinner must sin, then he cannot do anything but sin.

That is not what I believe. I believe God knew that Judas would betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. It was absolutely certain to happen, because God's foreknowledge is perfect and cannot be wrong. God allowed Judas to betray Jesus to bring about his crucifixion.

But in theory Judas could have repented. Only in reality he could not because God's foreknowledge is perfect and knew exactly what he would certainly do.

My view does not incriminate God. God did not cause Judas to betray Jesus, he simply knew he would.

This is not your view and you know it, Calvinism rejects this view. But now you are stuck with the problem of trying to explain how God is not the author of sin.

You really think non-Cals do not understand this? We get it, and that is why we reject your view.

#23 Winman, Jan 13, 2013
  4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Thanks for the nice testimony Hank. :thumbs:

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought he was a fictitious character made up to keep me in line.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

Oxford English Dictionary:

http://public.oed.com/resources/for-students-and-teachers/a-level/

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/dictnotes/def.htm

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, that is the way the OXFORD dictionary orders words for ENGLISH definitions.

The point still stands.

Any view that says because ONE OF FIVE definition OPTIONS is command that the word defined ALWAYS MUST MEAN command is eat up with stupid.

Skandelon, note I said the VIEW is eat up with stupid- not the person. You seem to think that as long as you are insulting the view like Winman does then it is perfectly ok.

I'm just capitalizing on what you allow him to do. 10-4?

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, please clarify. The view that "Dictionaries always put the most likely definition first and in descending order from there"—is that view moronic, idiotic, or just plain stupid?

#28 Jerome, Jan 13, 2013
  9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you know the difference between wrong and idiotic?

A person can be brilliant and wrong.

But a person who thinks a certain way can HAPPEN to be right and be a complete moron.

Do you understand that?

For example a person can be wrong about how the OXFORD ENGLISH dictionary orders its definitions. Anybody can.

But anybody who thinks that any ONE OPTION must be the only one and must always apply to every usage of the term has a view that is utterly ridiculous in the highest degree.

If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.

There is a right way of thinking that sometimes leads to wrong conclusions.

Then there is just a totally wrong way of thinking that HAPPENS to be right rarely.

The latter is that of ignorant person.

The former is that of an imperfect person.

I hope you can discern between the two.

10. Skandelon

Jerome is rightly pointing out that your reply to Winman was uncharitable while also not completely accurate. There is no reason to imply others are stupid, moronic, dumb, or idiotic because they disagree on some matters of faith. There is no reason to tell other posters they are in over their heads, needing more education or other personally insulting statements. It is unnecessary and a poor reflection upon us as Christians and Baptists.

Both Winman and Luke seem to be very uncharitable in your replies, which is why I asked you to edit your posts and try to discuss the topic and not each other.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I concur.

12. Skandelon

Why?

Back to the question of the OP, for the determinist: Why do you debate?

1. Do you believe you can change my will or the will of someone reading along?

2. Do you believe that the reason you debate is because God determined you to have the desire to debate? And the only reason I might believe your arguments is because God determines me to believe them?

3. When you are faced with a choice to act do you honestly believe in your heart that you could refrain or not refrain from that act? For example, you are now faced with the option to reply to this post. Do you believe right now that you could willingly respond or refrain from responding? If not, why not? If so, has God lead you to believe contrary to the truth because determinism isn't a livable philosophy of life?

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes.
    Yes.

Yes.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you define "Determinism" though?

15. Luke2427