1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you here?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Union Brother, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Before I go on my rant, you need to know I am neither Calvinist nor Arminean so what does that make me? One poster on here described me this way
    I like the way it was quoted.

I’m fed up! Why are you here? It appears some of you believe that this board is your personal mission field. One poster said
    You are not going to change me. I am firmly grounded in my beliefs on election and grace. I have searched the scriptures and know what I believe. If you are secure in your belief structure why do you feel the need to debate it? Your arguments will not persuade me or anyone else that is firm in their beliefs.. Arminians will remain Arminian and Calvinists will remain Calvinist. I will debate what I feel is unsound doctrine and quit the debate when it degrades to the same old tired worn out debate.
    Once more I’ll ask the question why you are here. I’m here to learn by reading debates and taking part in debates. As one of our posters says iron sharpens iron.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This I can agree with 100% and I wish all on BB would do so

Otherwise, Are you only talking about the A/C debate? If so then cool down (its a joke - get it? :tongue3:)

Some time ago, I started a thread about "What Bible Doctrines have you changed"

Some interesting comments -

I am here to hear all sides of a debate.
    Even if I dont agree with you, it may help me to understand why you think the way you.

#2 Salty, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  3. Old Union Brother

Amen!! Thanks for adding that. That is exactly where I was going with this.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I post here because it's good to hear and debate other views.
    Not long ago, I participated in a protracted futurist vs. preterist debate and learned quite a bit.

Debates show up the weaknesses and strengths of doctrinal positions on any given subject and help to bring spiritual maturity as long as they remain civil.

The downside:
    When ad hoiminae or accusations questioning one's salvation/spirituality begin, it is IMO a good sign that the accuser has lost and has no other facts to offer.

Sometimes the accusations are subtle or oblique and I suppose they are crafted that way to avoid censure.

Overall it's a good learning experience.
    Even the downside bad stuff teaches about human nature.

HankD

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I first came to this board to learn what others thought, especially those who identified themselves as Baptists. One thing I have learned is that there is very little agreement amongst Baptists on lots of issues. The two issues that seem to draw out the most obnoxious people on both sides are Calvinism and KJVO.

Another thing I have been amazed at is that higher education does not equate to deeper spiritual knowledge in all cases. I have seen some people with churches and doctorites get banned, and I have some people with an education about like mine who are really insightul into Scripture.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That'll go for me, too.

There are some things which are settled for me.

There are other things which I can say, this is where I am today. I believe I'm right, but am open to more light.

In these areas, I ask questions and read a lot of posts.

Where I'm pretty sure, I don't mind extended debate. Can't ever tell when somebody might say, "wow, Tom is right, I see it now."

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why am I here? Not really sure sometimes! I like abuse? :laugh:

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

haha! me too ;)

OK, I'm not really a debater (although I've jumped in a few times), but I do love to read the different sides. I've learned tons. I also like the fellowship.

9. Dauntie27

Dauntie27 New Member

I'm new here. Should I get while there is still time? :)

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Welcome to BB. No, you should stay. You can learn lots, and there is a vast wealth of knowledge here. If you are not a debater, I would stay away from the Calvinism and King James only threads. A few posters on this board are fixated on one issue, and will start thread after thread on the same subject.

11. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

This is an excellent thread. I hope all participants enter a post.

. . .

Why am I here? My answer may get me in trouble. But here goes.

. . .

I enjoy history and doctrine discussion. What interests me the most is the social context of doctrine. Another way of saying that is: I like to observe the pattern of theology.

I also enjoy jumping in and defending the out-of-favor position. For example, I am not KJVO; however, I have and will continue to defend the rights of KJVOs to maintain a single scripture source and translation. KJVOs have been the target of billion dollar scholarship and marketing campaigns. Yes, I believe they have a right to defend their scripture and their position. Thus, I find myself defending their right more than their position.

Many times I will read a discussion to observe the process of the discussion in the thread. I also find myself studying the writing skills of many of the posts--particularly the rambling and personal name-calling and prejudice. Some posts are attacked not so much for what is written, but for who does the writing or what camp they represent.

I love to learn and I will follow a thread or jump into a discussion because I want to learn. For me, why a person believes may be as important as what they believe. Terrible, I know. But that is the way I am wired.

Another reason I am here is because I am working out my personal theology through some of my posts. Someday I hope to go through my posts and print out a theology of what I believe.

And, as many of you know, I like to add graphics to many threads. Sometimes I do this to add a lighter side to the discussion. Sometimes I do this because I find a graphic online that says more than I can ever say about the topic, and says it in a graphic or two. Sometimes as I hunt for these graphics at Google images, I find myself learning about the topic simply by viewing the various pictures. In many ways, a picture is worth a thousand words. Of course, some may be offended by these graphics in the sense that I am inserting a "graven image" in a holy discussion. That is not my intent. I insert the graphics because I want to give the readers a new angle to think about.

I am also here because I enjoy the fellowship. I would like to develop some kind of relationship with many of you. I think all of you are really neat people--even if I do disagree with your theology.

...Bob

[​IMG]

12. Old Union Brother

Good post Bob. I am thankful for the friendships that I have made as a result of the BB.

Peace and Prayers

Jeff

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The reason why I am here? Uhhhhhhh, lemma think......

First, to show people my immense level of stupidity that some one here think I have obtained.

Second, so that they can find out that I am a "Gnostic", "Semi-Peligian", "Heretic", etc.

Third, to be to "welcome mat" for my DoG Brethern to wipe their feet on(LOL)!

In all seriousness, I am here to learn more about my Saviour! I love to read the posts of my Brothers and Sisters in Christ and see what they have to say about their beliefs. Even if I don't agree with their point of view, I can go back, read the Word, and pray that God will endow me with His wisdom, and not mine!! By doing this, I can obtain a deeper level of wisdom and knowledge from and by Him!!

i am I AM's!!

Willis

#13 convicted1, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have tried, and often failed, to live by the words of Abraham Lincoln:

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

On occasion I have offered an opinion or two here, only to have them ripped apart. It is not pleasant to have your precious arguments knocked into a cocked hat. In fact, it is humbling.

It has happened so many times, and that's the reason I am so humble--and proud of it.

15. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To learn; maybe to impart a nugget or two of wisdom from time to time; to fellowship; and to pick the brains of everyone in the computer forum when my PC acts up. :D

I don't post often, but I'm always lurking.

:)

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I check in here mostly for the entertainment. Arguing doctrine is mostly futile here. Every once in a while there may be an intriguing topic, but seldom.

:type:

17. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Talk to you later...

[​IMG]

...Bob

#17 BobinKy, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  18. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I'm here because I enjoy the discussions, and because I have much to learn. I don't post often because I don't have the knowledge or maturity that many of you have. Thanks for helping me to grow in my faith.

Priscilla Ann

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Start a good thread then

20. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

I am here because of my pride. I love to debate but hate the fact that I love it. I used to justify it by saying I was defending the truth of God or that I was sharpening my mind but the fact is it only feeds my pride. I have never "won" a debate. No one ever does in these kind of debates. I would love to be able to impart some "wisdom" or even help someone gain a little better understanding in the things of Christ but I always get in the way. My constant prayer whether I am preaching or writing or "discussing" is for the Lord to get me out of the way.