1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why are you saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by dan e., Feb 14, 2007.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is.
    What is your experience of salvation? How did you become a Christian?

2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Blessings be upon thee!! Amen!!

O for a thousand tongues to sing!! Hallelujah!!

:godisgood: :jesus: saves!!

#22 DQuixote, Feb 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2007
  3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Saved because "God so loved the WORLD that HE gave..."... Saved because "God convicts the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment".. saved because "God has warned us to FLEE from the wrath to come".. saved because we were urged to "choose life wrather than darkness".

Being WARNED to FLEE the wrath to come- the sinner turns to the gospel - convicted of his sin and need and desperate situation and accepts eternal life.

Your question is -- but wouldn't the depraved sinner be more noble by choosing God out of a sense of selfless love, because of a desire to enter into pure holy fellowship with his savior and creator God?

I think that higher nobler motive is there in some small way as he leaps out of the fire into the and of the Divine Fireman. And I think that the motive you speak to grows stronger over time.

But it is like a man in a canoe with two oars rowing to a straight line. Both oars are needed.

How do I know -- look where the lake of fire is manufactured. It is done AFTER the 1000 years. That is very very instructive as it speaks to the way that BOTH oars are being used. Notice that Rev 14:10 places the destruction of the wicked "IN THE PRESENCE" of the lamb and of His holy ones. The ones LEFT to REMEMBER it are not the wicked - but the righteous as we are told Matt 10 He "DESTROYS BOTH body and soul in fiery hell" during that event.

Accepting the Bible just as it reads - yields a lot of valuable answers.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Tazman

Tazman New Member

The whole message of salvation not just part of it!:thumbs:

mature Love comes over time, you commit and learn to love. Do you think people who heed Jesus' call is not grateful for the oppertunity. God loves such a heart.:godisgood:

5. Tazman

Tazman New Member

short version:

grew up in church, mainly evanglical, baptist and a few other things

Read my bible and prayed and fasted

sexually immoral - wishing for death

hateful - horrible relationship with parents

young stupid

Best friend becomes a disciple of christ

I studied the bible with him and other brothers, got convicted with the truth of my sin, repented, got baptized and added to God Kingdom.:godisgood:

that's it.

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I heard a preacher say one time,

"People say that Hell isnt a good reason to get saved, well It aint a bad reason".

If it wasnt for hell, what is it all about? Lead me to the nearest bar.

7. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Tell me about it!

No Hell, only Heaven? Great, that pretty much lines up with most major religions that reject Christ.

Usually people who don't want to acknowledge that realities exist concerning life after death are the same people who treat or teach others that God is a sugar daddy with no wrath.

IF YOU BECOME A CHRISTIAN YOU WILL BE WEALTHY LIKE YOUR PREACHER. GOD WANTs TO GIVE WEALTH TO YOU ON EARTH..

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't find any fundamental problem with yours, but it seems that we differ in terminology and in how to describe the processes of what we experience. As for this issue, let's continue in other threads where bmerr and DHK are ( knowledge for salvation)

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Why am I saved?

Because 25 years ago...after about 2 years of conviction...God drew me to Himself and indwelt me with the Holy Spirit, sealing me into His body and securing me for heaven.

PRAISE GOD! :godisgood:

Mike

10. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Hopefully this comes across the right way, but:

I noticed that you and a few others make a habit of elevating your experience above Jesus' teaching regarding salvation.

Just because God helps us like he would ANYBODY, does not mean that we are saved at that moment. What this actually means is that if we have a conscience we should then seek Him (His way and on His Terms).

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am saved solely because God is gracious and merciful, and I am a loser in my own right.

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmmm.....after reading everyone's review I confess that I asked the question the wrong way. I confess that I may not communicate as clearly as I'm thinking. Anyways....allow me to re-direct.

As a believer in Christ, fully aware that Jesus has saved me from Hell....and I will not have to face that, my reaction/response to those who may ask me about my salvation is not about avoiding hell. When I hear the first words out of someone being that they don't have to go to hell I wonder what kind of joy that they are having in Jesus right now...in the present. Or, are they thinking in terms of life is all about being in heaven, or being in hell. All about where you end up. I would say that life is more about being with Jesus now just as much in the future. Think about it, if you are in relationship, communicating with Jesus......what kind of life would that bring you? It should bring you joy! I think that is what God wants....for us to have joy in living in a relationship with him! I think the fire and brimstone impression nonbelievers have when someone responds with "I'm a Christian so I won't go to hell!" is "so what? I don't even believe in hell....so what does that matter?" Rather.....our relationship with God in the present communicates a transformation that Jesus can do for people....which also teaches that we are saved from hell.....but should teach more than that. It should reveal a certain freedom in the present. It reveals a freedom that only Jesus gives. If hell is all that is on someone's mind.....I wouldn't doubt them, but I would wonder if they are experiencing Jesus' gift now.

13. Tazman

Tazman New Member

I'm still thinking I understood you just like a few others even after the above post.

I guess in any case, it still doesn't seem like the appropriate question.

Just my opinion