1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHY BOTHER?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It is interesting that both Paul and Christ shared information about believers who went to other believers to let them know of their errors. To claim that this is from Satan is a violation of not only the posting rules on this board, but a violation of Scriptural teachings. A gross violation - one more to add to the anti-Scriptural attitude that is often shown in your sarcasm.

Ask Will Kinney about that. A few weeks ago, I admitted that I was incorrect about a passage in Revelation, and he accepted that apology. So, really, you're wrong about that as well.

And you have never apologized to me about your sarcastic remarks, so why intimate that you had?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And who do you expect to convince to change their position by this thread you started? If you don't expect such, then "WHY BOTHER?"

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If an argument like that has any validity, this Bible Versions/Translations board then indicates the NIV must be the Word of God, since it is the translation which is most often attacked. No one on here has called the KJV a "perversion" or inspired by Satan; many have done so with the NIV. [The NIV is not my choice, but I'm just taking your reasoning to its conclusion.]

4. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

that's it, tiny, I have never dome anyone like that. I will admit i have read another's version and handed it back to them and told them how unfamiliar it read to me. I remeber the deabte really heated up around 1972.

I lived in Marietta and was 12 years old. I heard preachers on the radio carrying on about it and one of them said what I truly believe is the case. If the KJB isn't the Word of God, then why do so many fight against it so? hey, that convinced me right then and there, and get this, I was L O S T!

Everytime i picked up another version I read it a little and put it back down, it was just too unfamiliar. I read some that seemed close, but then all of a sudden there would be a word or a phrase that didn't seem to make sense.

Oh well, read whayou want to, you're gonna anyway, but when the uestions do come, get a KJB and pray,get a good concise dictionary, learn the words and their defintions and see what God has to say to you. And ignore certain people who have no sense of humour!
    </font>[/QUOTE]Amen Precepts! I also glanced at some of the MV and it just didn't sound right. Like it wasn't pure or something. Weird to tell the truth.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

And who do you expect to convince to change their position by this thread you started? If you don't expect such, then "WHY BOTHER?" </font>[/QUOTE]This thread wasn't addressed to KJVO believers, it was addressed to those of like mind with me on this issue in order to discuss the biblical methods of handling disagreement, which btw I have recieved many great answers. Thanks for the concern.

6. Skandelon

It is actually a good idea to use the KJV when with them. If I'm debating someone who prefers to use the KJV on here, I try to quote from it if I quote scripture.

Preferred practice, however is a whole different kettle of fish than actively TEACHING misinformation and untruths and requiring something extrabiblical--exclusive KJV use-- as a standard for church membership, sometimes as a standard for fellowship, and in extreme cases, as a standard of "true" saving faith.

And it seems to me that this is a pretty close parallel to the judaizers who required that new believer be circumcised. It's making an extrabiblical rule a requirement. Paul certainly didn't feel the judaizers should just be--well--coddled. He had some pretty harsh words for them in his fight against their TEACHING.

Don't you think that if someone was TEACHING that believers ought to abstain from food offered to idols, rather than just abstaining themselves, Paul would have been outspoken against them? If someone had been spreading untruths and misinformation, wouldn't he have thought it ought to be opposed, and opposed fairly strongly?
    </font>[/QUOTE]You have persuaded me. I agree. I do believe that we should handle all brethern with love and kindness and seek to submit when possible as I'm sure you agree, however I also agree with you in that we must fight against false doctrine when it attempts to add on to the faith by making ones choice of Bible version a criteria for salvation.

Thanks for your thoughts, I respect your views.

(btw, I'm still waiting for a response on the C/A board. ;) )

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skandelon, I'm not simply GUESSING that KJVO is a false doctrine; I KNOW it is. For hundreds of years, God has provided His word in just about every major language despite all the efforts of the RCC to stop it, and all at once some people tell us that every Bible made in English for the last 400 years is bogus. This in itself is highly suspicious, but the final nail in their doctrine's coffin is their complete inability to provide any tangible PROOF to support their doctrine. Therefore KJVO is a man-made MYTH and not a viable doctrine.

The devil has succeeded with guile where brute force failed. He's tricked some well-meaning Christians into actually believing this false doctrine. The Christian has a D-U-T-Y to fight false doctrines tooth & nail, so this I do, within the limits of law and human decency, of course. Whether or not these efforts get one person to discard the KJVO myth doesn't matter; I have to answer for what "I" do, not what "THEY" do. And, KNOWING KJVO is false, I am in sin if I just keep silent, same as any of us would be if our churches advocated gay marriage & we said nothing.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether I change any Christian's mind about the KJVO myth isn't my main concern; they're already savedRather, my chief concern is the lost or the new Christian who is exposed to KJVO hooey for the first time. I want them to know KJVO is a false doctrine. If they wish to use only the KJV, fine, but they should know that God has a lot more to offer them should they wish to use other versions as well.

9. russell55

russell55 New Member

Haven't checked there in quite a while. I only participate there sporadically when I have the extra time and energy.

10. Skandelon

Haven't checked there in quite a while. I only participate there sporadically when I have the extra time and energy. </font>[/QUOTE]I understand. But I must say I do miss your honest and objective dialogue. You are one of the few who actually deals with the issues when you do show up. That is refreshing. Just letting you know I miss ya. [​IMG]

11. Precepts

Precepts New Member

It is interesting that both Paul and Christ shared information about believers who went to other believers to let them know of their errors. To claim that this is from Satan is a violation of not only the posting rules on this board, but a violation of Scriptural teachings. A gross violation - one more to add to the anti-Scriptural attitude that is often shown in your sarcasm.

Ask Will Kinney about that. A few weeks ago, I admitted that I was incorrect about a passage in Revelation, and he accepted that apology. So, really, you're wrong about that as well.

And you have never apologized to me about your sarcastic remarks, so why intimate that you had?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

12. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Double post, but this still stands.

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If someone only wants to read the KJV and fellowship with those who read only the KJV, NIV, NASV, RSV, or any other V, that's perfectly fine and appropriate. It's perfectly biblical to fellowship with like-minded folks. However, to assert that ONLY your translation should be used by everyone, everywhere, well, that's not biblical. I draw the line there.

14. Skandelon

If someone only wants to read the KJV and fellowship with those who read only the KJV, NIV, NASV, RSV, or any other V, that's perfectly fine and appropriate. It's perfectly biblical to fellowship with like-minded folks. However, to assert that ONLY your translation should be used by everyone, everywhere, well, that's not biblical. I draw the line there. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, but was it biblical for the Judiazers of Romans 14 to insist that Christians abstain from eating meat? No. But still Paul submitted. Right?

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only when Paul was in the Judiazers presence, did he obstain. He did what he wanted to when he was not being watched. He did not let them dictate his life all the time.

16. Skandelon

Only when Paul was in the Judiazers presence, did he obstain. He did what he wanted to when he was not being watched. He did not let them dictate his life all the time. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I agree. Use whatever version you want when your not around these types of believers. I'm just saying when you're with them is it really necessary to try and convince them its ok to use other versions once it becomes evident that their minds are made up?

17. Orvie

Orvie New Member

My two cents: "To "V" or not to "V", that is the question. :eek: i.e. (KJV:kjb)...to "B" or not to "B". :rolleyes: I know, my two cents isn't worth any "sense" :D

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not quite. It's the old "When in Rome" thing. If I'm visiting a KJV church, I'll use the KJV. That's different than espousing a KJVO position for all Christians.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. I'd have to say No. What's the use of having a battle of wits with an unarmed crowd? [​IMG]