1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why bother?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN BROTHER:applause:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your trying to explain what...."PARADOX"?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surprised they did NOT jump all over you on that one! Is there truth to it? They dont walk the sacrament / works justification. I dont know any non-calvinist baptist that goes to Mass & tells his or her sins to a priest.

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

God will change a goat like Saul and bring him back into His flock, then there is hope for anyone at their crossroad to Damascus. Saul is the one who was cut out for unbelief and now is included back in because he did not continue in his unbelief. Saul is the message of hope for anyone even a goat leading men to destruction

#104 psalms109:31, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I present the truth of scripture to anyone willing to explore biblical truth. I have presented specific scriptures showing Arminianism is a mistaken view of scripture and I have presented specific scriptures showing Calvinism is a mistaken view of scripture. But rather than anyone actually engaging, I get dismissive remarks to the effect my mind is closed, from Calvinists.

I believe the lost can be saved, Calvinism teaches if a person was not chosen individually for salvation before creation, they are damned and nothing anyone does will alter that outcome.

Whosoever believes becomes whosoever was chosen and given the compulsion to believe shall not perish. Total rewrite to put man's doctrine over God's grace.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    get behind/past the sacraments, and lookm at the fact BOTH groupps see man has able to freely assist in the salvation process, as we will be the deciding factor on getting saved!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that a Sinner can freely decide to come to jesus and get saved than?

8. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

Both groups? Surely you are not referring to Calvinists as being one of those groups.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gee Whiz, someone actually noticed Yeshua1 simply posts mistaken views serially? :)

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitchback

Could the first soil of Matthew 13 come to Jesus? Nope. Rather than asking me what I believe, why not study what God has taught in scripture. Does scripture actually say no one seeks God at any time unless regenerated? If not then you can see that the doctrine is man-made! Then you can read about the other three soils of Matthew 13 that did seek God and trust in Jesus. So the T of Calvinism is an obvious total fiction. But wait, they say, no one seeks God effectively. Yet another fiction. Was the fourth soil regenerated? Calvinism will claim yes, but note such regeneration is not mentioned, it is just added by Calvinism. If you can add to scripture, rewrite verses and redefine words that scripture can be nullified by the clever stories of men.

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

No, I believe as Jesus said, "the VERY WORDS that I speak to you are spirit and life..." (john 6)

Aaron, TRUTH is powerful! Someone might even say, oh I don't know, 'the truth will set you free'....naw, sounds like Harry potter. :rolleyes:

When Aaron speaks of 'a preacher' he doesn't think of them as Holy Spirit indwelled messengers of the inspired gospel, proclaiming the very words of God, speaking God's life-giving truth, the powerful appeal for reconciliation, the double edged sword of the spirit, NO, what Aaron believes is that when a preacher talks its not really a work of God at all, but just some everyday dude talking about neat stuff. And that stuff becomes relevant for a preselected few people only after God changes them irresistibly.

12. Skandelon

Predetermined by whom? You said God foreknew all things, so how does that translate into God predetermines all things? Isn't there a distinction between foreknowing and predetermining?

Sure. But historically God is not known to 'work in us' by some irresistible force that controls our desires and thus our decisions. When he wants to influence or provoke our wills he uses 'normative' means. He used signs and wonders. He used envy to provoke the Jews. He uses persuasion and appeals brought by human messengers. He sends warning and rebukes...rewards and punishments. At times when he wants to ensure obedience, as in times when he wants to make sure a message is delivered, he used means such a blinding lights and big fish. Could God have simply snapped his finger and made Jonah want to preach to Nineveh? Of course he could, but that is not how He chooses to work. Yet, Calvinists want us to believe that's virtually what he does with everyone who decides to follow Christ. That God 'snaps' (irresistibly awakens them by a inward secret work of regeneration) supernaturally changing their desires and effectually making the choice for them. It makes little sense to me to suggest that God went to all the trouble to use a storm, a big fish and all those means of convincing the messenger to go, only to 'snap his fingers' and make the messenger's audience choose to accept his message.

So, while I would gladly admit that God uses means to assist, influence and appeal to our wills, I will not conclude that He, in essence, makes that decision for us. Without Him and the means of the gospel, His revelation, His Spirit bringing conviction, our wills would have NO HOPE, but with all those means our wills have NO EXCUSES!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is difficult at times to untangle Yeshua's commentaries

Here is what he said:

Much of modern non cal though more akin to catholic thought

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now there is an interesting potential topic for you Yoshie...compare & contrast the differences between Catholics & Non Calvies! Bet it will get tons of action from RC & Non Calvies alike. :smilewinkgrin:

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line is that for BOTH groups, the basis of getting saved by God is to assist Him, as the catholics see God giving them Sacramental graces, while Non cals see it in the Gospel itself as giving "Graces" to allow them to freely deicde for Christ!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless the lord [repares beforehand the soil to receive and hear the Gospel, it falls upon 'deaf ears"....

17. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

The soil is ruined by us cursed by us for the innocent blood we shed. God gave the few the tools to work the ground His word and the Holy Spirit. It is our curse to work the ground not God and God as man started it off. We work in the field and God causes it to grow. The only one's who believe man has no role in salvation of man is Hyper-Calvinist. The soil is so horrible right now and so rocky. The farmer who sits and does nothing has no crop and God is making His appeal through us. A good shepherd uses His sheep to heard in the lost.

#117 psalms109:31, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  18. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

Well, this falseaversy has been been put to rest.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for proving my point. :thumbs:

20. Skandelon

What point would that be? The one where I quoted Jesus or the one where I quote Paul, or both?

And who did you quote exactly? Oh, yeah, yourself.... hmmm...telling...