Why callest thou me good?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by RaptureReady, Feb 9, 2004.

1. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

In Matthew 19:16-17, Mark 10:17-18, and Luke 18:18-19, Jesus was asked a question, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?" Jesus answers this question with a question, "Why callest thou me good?"

My question is, why do some, if not all other versions ask something different, particarly in Matthew 19. An example would be, "Why askest thou me concerning that which is good?"(NASV) or "Why do you ask me about what is good?"(NIV), etc.

2. Forever settled in heaven

Forever settled in heaven
    Expand Collapse

because they're the divine original, that's why.

:rolleyes:

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Because that is what the text says: Why do you ask me concerning what is good (peri tou agathou). This is a textual variant in Matthew.

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos
    Expand Collapse

The Greek texts contain a variant in verse 17. Aleph, B (which omits eis), D, L, Theta, and 892, read "ti me erwtas peri tou agathou; eis estin 'o 'agathos." However, C, K, W, Delta, f13, 28, 33, 565, 1009, 1010, 1071, 1079, 1195, 1216, 1230, 1241, 1242, 1253, 1344, 1365, 1546, 1646, 2148, 2174, all the Byzantine Gospels (about 400 of them), all the Lectionaries, most of the ancient vernaculars as well as the 4 most ancient and reliable Church Fathers all read "ti me legeis agathon; oudeis agathos ei mh eis o Theos" which, roughtly translated, reads "Why me you call good? No one good except one, God."

It would seem, except for the irrational bias in favor of Aleph and B, the reading as found in the KJV, NKJV, Geneva, Tyndale, etc., is the more trustworthy.

5. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows
    Expand Collapse

I'll stick with the KJB on this one. As Skan said there are different verbs here. The one in Siniaticus is "erotao" - this means more to ask than to say. The more attested veriant has "lego" which is to say, speak, or call. This seems to make more sense given the question as put before Jesus.

6. Anti-Alexandrian

Anti-Alexandrian
    Expand Collapse

Because someone(gee,I wonder who) wants The Saviour to be guilty of violating Colossians 2:8,thats why;the mss. behind these better "bibles"(200+ conflicting authorities)were prepared by gnostics and philosophers in Alexandria,Egypt;kinda brings Matt 7:20 to mind..dont it?