1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why can't Christians get along??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 16, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take a look around this board and you will see lots of fighting, name calling, open judgments, tension, strife, and division. Its one thing to disagree, its another to personally insult others. Some whom have attacked me many times I have tried to be nice to them, only to be treated like dirt in return. Its sad so how too respond to such people? In my imperfection I can get frustrated, angry, and such and have negative thoughts. I also can be divisive at times, and do not fully submit to the role to be a SLAVE OF GOD.

I think a great way to respond to such people comes from this glorious passage of scripture. For some reason the 1984 version is no longer available online and it only exists in my print versions, but this new version does illustrate the point.

1 Cor 13

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

2. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There has to be something to show how much I appreciate your saying this...hmm...

[​IMG]

(To those who don't understand, it's an internet meme.)

3. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    And may I add--
    "As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master[a] that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand."

"10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
    and every tongue shall confess to God.”
    12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God."
    ~Romans 14:1-4; 10-12 ESV

#3 evenifigoalone, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I belong to several beagle discussion boards and it is the same as this one when it comes to disagreements. People don't use their true identity is one reason for bashing and another is most people on discussion boards personally don't know one another, if they did they would be more kind. I also think board members don't want to appear as not knowing anything because knowledgeable people take this as weakness and want to usurp authority over them in their pride.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Outstanding analysis, SM!! :thumbsup:

Now I don't need to say anything. :laugh:

6. Archie the Preacher

Getting Along

Actually, Christians do get along pretty well, considering. Yes, there have been clashes in the past between various 'Christian' factions, but when studied closely, the actual warfare has been over who gets to control the money, lands and authority rather than should we say Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit.

So what we have is differences of opinion and squabbling over those opinions. And I can see several reasons for it.

One. We are humans, and as such, fallen. So, we do not always conduct ourselves as the redeemed and eternally forgiven children of God which we are. (Except for me, of course; my deportment is beyond reproach [he said, fighting down a coughing fit.])

Two. Tradition. We all come from backgrounds in which we have been taught 'the correct view' of certain doctrinal and even theological issues. In some instances, that teaching has been formal and intentional, the result of denominational convictions; in some cases, it has been informal and off-hand, comments by parents, older Christians and possibly some teachers in a weak moment.

The formal issues are probably best illustrated by the distinctions between Calvinism and Arminianism - two explanations of the same function (salvation). Traditional issues are exemplified by pastors wearing robes while preaching or not; methods of governing individual congregations; means of financing church operations and funding mission work; use of musical instruments in worship and total abstinence from alcoholic beverages.

(Side note: Don't bother attempting to change anyone's mind on ANY subject if that person starts with "My Mother told me..." Just - go get a doughnut.)

When Galileo Galilei published his observations regarding the movement of the Earth around the Sun (about 1632), he was decried as heretical. (Actually, there was a bit of lapse between the publication of his book and the official action of the RCC; this is condensed.) Various Bible citations 'proved' the Earth was the center of the 'world' - the concept known now as the Universe. At some point following, the Christian community realized the truth; not that the Bible was wrong, but - traditionally - misread. For those who want to hide behind the excuse "That was the Catholic Church"; nonsense. All Christians reading the Bible at the time accepted the Aristotelian view of the solar system.

Three. Sometimes, people have facts wrong. For instance, just recently I wrote something about the connection between the NET and NEB. Rippon and RSR (if I recall correctly; if not, my apologies) both corrected me in my misapprehension. To be fair, I didn't want to be corrected; but it turns out I was wrong about it. Giving glory to God, they were right in NOT allowing me to continue in my ignorance. Being loving, showing the love of God one for another, does not require a brother Christian to ignore inaccuracy. In fact, allowing a brother to continue in ignorance is quite unloving.

Four. Mentioned in Proverbs 27:17, arguing sharpens the mind. When I argue with someone, I am required to examine the opposing view and determine if I am wrong in my 'accepted' views. Hopefully, the other person will do likewise and examine their own 'accepted' views. Sometimes, both sides will realize the weakness of their 'accepted' view and find they are both in error - totally or partially. But usually, one doesn't admit that in public.

At least not right away.

So why don't Christians 'argue' more 'charitably'? Probably because our egos are no more under control than anyone else's.

7. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taking time to learn about logical fallacies and the rules of honest debate helps. But eve then, it's no guarantee that everyone's going to be charitable about it.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I ask, in the meme which character is you and which one is Evangelist? The one running to the door or the one running through the door to get away from the one coming to it? ;)

9. Archie the Preacher

Ooooohhhh!

Now there's a radical thought!
    Well, yeah...

10. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Sorry to interrupt, but the first part of your post reminded me of this piece of satire: http://www.larknews.com/archives/813

(Did I say it was satire, if not it is satire folks).

Now carryon, back to bickering about how we shouldn't bicker. :wavey:

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

In truth, it boils down to one simple principle aptly enunciated by the fictional detective Harry Callahan.

We are all legends in our own minds.

12. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol I am the one over enthusiastically showing my appreciation :)

13. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. I've had some discussions with atheists and nonbelievers who are so convinced they are more logical than any Christian could be that they label everything you say as a logical fallacy. Unfortunately. The tools that aid us in thinking are there for a reason, but we're not to beat people over the head with them.
    I admit that I've been on both ends at times--the one receiving the beating and the one giving it.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Within the context of this board, it is a clash between those who want a real exchange of ideas, and those who like to make hit and run posts. The sad thing is, the hit and run posters know how to push buttons, and most of us fall right into their purposes. On the recent thread about Paul Washer, there were two trolls. Usually they will start an argument and hope someone else takes their place, then they disappear.

15. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the main reason I'm still on here is because it's good for my opinions to be challenged. :laugh: Although I usually avoid actual debates, especially on hot button topics.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can, as long as we realise that our disagreements , while important, does not mean that we see others as not being saved, or somehow less than, just because we have honest disagreements!

That assumes, of course, that we are disagreeing in orthodox theology, where both views can be held!

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What boards are you on? No need to mention your handle just the boards? Puritan Board? Rapture Ready? Carm? There has to be dozens more. You know its interesting but on FB people are allot nicer. It must be the photos they often post.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Earth Wind and Fire? I wish that poster would stay out of my threads. He knows how to push my buttons.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell that to WinMan whom thinks Calvinists are not saved.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

You misunderstand me, my intentions are good, but sometimes my aim is off.

[​IMG]