1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Chastity?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by skypair, Mar 10, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Wow! This Eliot Spitzer thing sure raises this issue!

Why should a young girl or young man be chaste before marriage? Because it is really hard to tell the difference between true love and habitual self-indulgence when sex is the 'end game!'

Recall that "lust" is making oneself happy whereas "love" is making others happy/blessed.

Now extend that a little. Anything you do for 21 days -- they say -- becomes habitual. How, if you succumb over some period of time to another's sexuality, do you know whether it is you or habit that drives you? And anyone who engages in any "habit" HAS to look to the day when they MUST quit!! Like it or not, habits become burdensome at the very least! or very COSTLY as Eliot is finding out. (I wish every pastor would remark on this view Sunday).

Oh, how deceptive the flesh is!! I hope there will be some more thought and comment on this. Sometimes, but rarely, things will word out, but this is really NEW insight for me.

skypair

#1 skypair, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2008
  2. Beth

Beth New Member

I'm not sure who Eliot is

However, my children will be encouraged/urged to be chaste before marriage because this is what God desires.

3. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

This is about where I lost the point you were trying to make.

I expected your answer to be something along the lines of....

It is God`s will.
    It is what the Bible teaches.

Can you be a little clearer on what you were trying to say?

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Another human being bites the dust. Those who look clean when found out look so much dirtier that those we know are dirty. We know how dirty Bill Clinton is, and the world loves him; but the world will spit and condemn the one who portrayed to be clean.
    They both satisfy
    My wife and I, at marriage, did one thing once. It didn't take 21 times to become a habit, or a showing of love, and satisfaction.
    We are built to last.
    We are not to get greedy, and over do it. Some habits are good, and some are not.
    skypair, you do bring up some interesting, and insightful questions.
    Gal.1:11-12

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an enormous amount of practical wisdom in your statement.

While some may criticize it because it is not quoted from the Bible, it is perfectly consistent with biblical teachings on lust, self-gratification, the nature of love, and the importance of a stable marriage.

Good post, thanks! :applause:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Elliot Spitzer is the governor of NY. Apparently the accusation is that he made an appointment with a prostitute and is caught on tape. He has not resigned but made a very quick statement saying that he's taking some time to work on healing his family or some such thing. We'll find out more in the days ahead.

The only thing is that what Bill Clinton did was not against the law. But you're right that Elliot Spitzer was quite outspoken against prostitution and this is going to be an interesting ride!

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ou r kids are getting married for the wrong reasons and that is why they are getting divorced at the same rates. Physical lust is habit-forming but it doesn't touch the level of pschology it takes do love and stay together.

Now God may have made it a good habit for a certain part of our lives in order to repopulate the planet. But that part shouldn't be premarital and if it is, it leads to broken homes because those origins are likely lust, not love.

Here' something I read recently "the law is not right because God commands it but God commands it because it is right."

IN marriage, Paul tells couples not to "defraud [abstain from sex] yourselves not from one another except by consent ... that Satan tempt you not." Obviously there's a place for the "habit" that is NOT costly and a place where we ought to teach our children not to incur it.

The fact is that many of our lusts turn to bad, costly habits in a very short time (alcohol, smoking, cursing, etc.) but I'd never thought about premarital sex being habitual feeding of lust and thereby so costly before!

skypair

8. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I guess my confusion is in the fact that you seem to be calling the act of sex (am I allowed to say that on here?) whether in marriage or out of a marriage a "habit".

Sex before marraige does not have to be "habitual" for it to be costly. Many people have learned this with a unplanned pregnancy or disease after just one fall.

What the Governor of New York did cost him dearly the very first time he commited the sin. It cost him in his self respect. It cost him in the trust his family put in him. It cost him in the trust the people of New York put in him. It cost him in his credibility. Just because the public didn´t find out about the sin and the cost until just the other day, didn´t mean the cost was not there.