1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Detroit is a great sports town

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Nov 16, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

1. The Pistons are the best in the NBA- 7-0 the only undefeated team.

2. The Redwings are the best in the NHL

3. The Allstar game was held here last summer

4. The Superbowl will be here in February.

:D

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

AMEN! [​IMG] I am so proud to be living in Detroit! Despite hear negatives about Detroit as bad crime. I love sports! Michigan have more championships since year 1984 to now than most states.

Only ONE team, I want so badly to win Champinship is Lions!!! :mad: Lions never, never been a better team for so many years since 1950's! My feeling that Lions need a new better President and Owner. Lions need make a BIG change for next season. I doubt Lions would make playoffs this season.

Next year, I hope Lions would be much better and improving to be a winning team and chnace to win Super Bowl.

By the way, it is toooo early to saying on Pistons and Red Wings. Wait and see in the second half, see how far they are doing.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The Liedowns winning the Super Bowl? Wouldn't that be a pre-cursor to the apocalypse? [​IMG] [​IMG]

The big problem in Detroit is the GM. Matt Millen has done a terrible job. Joey Harrington simply isn't the answer at QB.

With that said, as a Bears fan, I hope Matt Millen and Joey Harrington both stay right where they are. [​IMG]

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

:rolleyes:

Why Detroit is NOT a great sports town...

1. The Lions, or Liedowns as our friend ccrob calls them [​IMG] It must stink to know a superbowl is going to be in your town and know that your team is not ever going to get to play in the game [​IMG]

2. The Tigers, do the actually still play major league baseball or are they a farm team yet?

3. When they do actually win a championship they burn half the town down ... [​IMG]

:D

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

When was the last time Detroit "burned half the town down" after winning something?

Remember, this isn't Lansing. That is a long ways from here.

6. PastorSBC1303

Larry, first of all it was said in fun thus the many smiley faces [​IMG]

But there is some truth there...1984 following the Tigers Champtionship and 1990 following the Pistons title.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yes but since 1990, Detroit has been very respectable with its championships.

This includes an NBA championship
    3 Stanley Cups
    Michiagan winning a national championship
    and a WNBA championship, not to mention numerous conferances and divsion titles by both the Redwings and the Pistons.

As to to Lions. I wish they were better, but hey, at least they are not Huston. Joey looked respectable last Sunday, but he will have to perform like he did a couple more times against good secondaries to convince me.

I agree Millan should go.

The Tigers are imporving, they deffinatley have talent except for closing pictchers. With a new manager who is a proven winner, and some good post season moves, they will only improve.

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I know ... but I was taking a shot at the MSU people in Lansing who like to burn couches in the street. :D

That's been a long time, and there have been 4 championships since then that were very good.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

WNBA championship?

[​IMG]

It's not as if anybody really cares about who wins a WNBA championship. [​IMG] :D

Joey probably wishes he could play the Cardinals every week. He's 3-0 against them with a very good TD to INT ratio. In other words, he's pretty good against the JV, but not the varsity team. :D

BTW, anybody else think he should have gone by Joe rather than Joey?

If I say NFL and Joe, who do you think of? Joe Montana? Joe Namath? Mean Joe Greene? Hall of Famers, right?

Now, name a Joey who's even been mildly successful in the NFL.

&lt;crickets chirping while everybody scratches their head or Googles it&gt;

If he's Joe Harrington, does that make a difference? I think it does. It wouldn't make much difference because Matt Millen is still the GM and he does play for the Detroit Liedowns, but you never know. Who knew that Kyle Orton would be leading a 6-3 Bears team?

On 2nd thought, this Bear fan thinks maybe he should just stay Joey Harrington. [​IMG]

10. PastorSBC1303

Ways to know you got a bad football team: When you are thankful you are not the Houston franchise [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe you can also be thankful that the Tigers are not the Expos/Nationals [​IMG]

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Boston. Now that's a great sports town. Throw Chicago, NY and Philly in the mix too. But Detroit???

Seems like the criteria should be more than having a championship game played in your town (otherwise, let's vote for Jacksonville!!) or having a winning WNBA team.

My thinking is that the teams are only part of the story. Even so, with the two major sports being baseball and football, we're talking the Tigers -- only 20 games below .500 this year, and the Lions -- last championship in what, the 50's?

Yes, Pistons are very good -- I'll give you that one.

Question: What cities do you think qualify as the best sports cities?

12. PastorSBC1303

My list:

Chicago, NY, Philly, Boston, and Dallas

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The regular season is not the be all end all in pro sports. This past World Series was the first time in several years that a division champion won the World Series.

And I seriously doubt that either the Pistons or the Dead Things, sorry I mean Red Wings, will win their respective league championships come June 2006. [​IMG]

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Jealousy thats all. I understand. ;) :D [​IMG]

15. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Jealous of the Tigers & Lions???

I forgot, if you want to throw in college, Michigan's football team has performed well over the last 25 years. However, they still have only one national championship in that time frame.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Obviously the sporting world thinks Detroit is a great sports city, this is the second Superbowl held in Detroit, how many cities have that distinction, and how many are still waiting for their first opportunity to hold it?

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

U of M has preformed well since they started playing they are after all, the winningest program in college football, and nobody is close to breaking that record.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Hosting Super Bowls makes a city a great sports city? For a city in cold weather climate to host a Super Bowl, they had better have a domed stadium, as Detroit does. New York, Chicago and Philly are great sports cities, but none of them are going to be hosting a Super Bowl anytime soon. Minneapolis and Jacksonville aren't what I would consider great sports cities, but they've both hosted Super Bowls, with Jax being the most recent. I don't think this is a good measuring stick for what constitues a great sports city. I'm not saying Detroit isn't a great sports city, but you need a different ruler.

19. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Actually, I don't think it's a good measuring stick either. Here's a listing of all cities that have hosted more than one Super Bowl to date:

New Orleans - 9
    Miami - 8
    Los Angles - 7
    Tampa - 3
    San Diego - 3
    Atlanta - 2
    Houston - 2

20. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Regarding Michigan, I guess it depends on what you mean by the "winningest" (not trying to sound like Bill Clinton here).

Yes, Michigan has won more games than any other Division I school.

However, Michigan has won only seven National Championships and that puts them way down the list (and only once in the last 50 years).

Also, a big part of the reason behind the win total is that they've been playing football for over a century -- much longer than some other colleges. For example, FSU didn't even start playing football until the 1950's. It's almost like Princeton talking about being a football powerhouse due to their many national championships.

Over the past 25 years, Michigan is in the top tier but not at the top. Their winning percentage is still over 70% - one of the best, just not the best.