1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why did God choose Able?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Why did God choose Able's sacrifice over Cain's? Both seemed to have worked hard to provide a suitable sacrifice, but God favored Able's? Was it because He could see into their hearts, and knew Cain's was dark?

love,

Sopranette

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God told Cain that if he did what was right, he would have been accepted, too. Had to do with the attitude behind the sacrifice...a heart condition.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

One word "faith".

Hbr 11:4¶By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

4. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Abel came to God God's way, by blood sacrifice, Cain came to God Cain's way, by his works. This has been the way it is ever since. The only way to God is by grace through faith in the finished work (the blood sacrifice of the Lord Jesus) on Calvary's tree. All other ways (all other religions) stress some kind of works: climbing up (human effort) some other way. From the first person born (Cain) down to the last person, no one can make themselves acceptable to a holy God.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Much debated topic, let me ask this, did they give a sacrifice or an offering?

What was the porpose of their giving? Was it as in tithe or was it an offering for sin?

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I have heard from someone else that part of the reason may have been because Able gave of his new lambs, while Cain gave from what was left over.

love,

Sporanette

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Scripture tells us it was "faith", why not accept it? Don't matter if it was a new lamb or blood sacrifice or what, scripture says whatever it was it was given by "faith", which is what made it a more excellent sacrifice. It was an offering and a sacrifice, according to scripture.

BBob,
    :thumbsup:

#7 Brother Bob, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2007
  8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

But wouldn't Cain's sacrifice of giving over time, rather than all at once, signify a lack of faith?

love,

Sopranette

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why did God choose ABEL?

Brother Bob is partly correct here, I believe, and that is the single biggest part of it.
    There is another facet, given in Genesis, as well, that both Sopranette and webdog are touching on, but still only hitting a 'glancing blow', IMO, where it says that the LORD respected (both) Abel and his offering, while He did not respect (both) Cain and his offering. (Gen. 4:3-5) The acceptance and/or rejection was two fold, as I see it, not merely one or the other. (BTW, it's "Abel" instead of "Able", Sopranette.)

Watchman hits a third facet, that of God's way vs. our way, and LeBuick hits a fourth, in that it was both a sacrifice, and an offering. One might note that Cain was 'the more religious' of the two twins (Yes, they were twins, just as were Esau and Jacob!), in that he brought the first offering. But neither was "overly religious", even so, for they were both already "working adults", before they got around to doing this, and Cain, at least, may already well have been married to one of his sisters. (Gen. 4:10-18; 5:4b) We do know that Cain was the "favorite" child of Eve, whom she thought at first, to be the promised 'seed' (Gen. 4:1b), but got into some "replacement theology", after the murder of Abel by Cain, and then decided that Seth was instead that promised 'seed'. (Gen. 4:25)

Put all of your responses together, and I think it's collectively pretty well 'nailed', here.

Well, except for one thing Lebuick said, for I suspect that there were not too many 'porposes' (sic) (or dolphins or even catfish) swimming around amid Abel's flock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Dec 28, 2007
  10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If we take Hebrews 11:14, where Abel's was giving by faith that made his more excellent offering and sacrifice, then Cain's must of been without faith, as I see it.

It also serves another purpose that it took faith from the beginning of time to please God, I think or at least I sure have used it in sermons many times.

BBob,

#10 Brother Bob, Dec 28, 2007
  11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now you done gone and did it, you insulting my southern accent. Sir, I must now challenge you to a dowel... :smilewinkgrin:

Actually, you did a fairly good job summing up most of the theories though I don't know how you tell things like Cain and Abel were twins, but ok... You might have slipped in a couple of extra's on us...

Here is one you missed...

4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

There are some who believe that word firstling is key to understanding his faith. It is said to be of the same context used here;

Ro 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

The summary of the significance being that we should give to God first, from the first fruit or from the first of what ever we give and not give to Him what is left over. He gave us His first of many Son's and The only Begotten. Many of us pay all our bills and offer God what is left. We give our time to our job's and family then give God what is left over. Even our service in many cases...

Now add this part of verse 4, "and of the fat thereof" and now you have some preaching words...

Giving by faith (as Bro Bob pointed out) means you give to God having faith. Faith in what you ask, well, one, that he will supply your every need (as opposed to your money or your job).

Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Now that I've gone on that tangent I don't know if anyone mentioned the blood offering vs non-blood which was supposed to be the offering/sacrifice example God set when He clothed Adam and Eve in the garden???

Also, I know who shot JR... :thumbsup:

Edited to fix some grahammer... We know the cops are out...

#11 LeBuick, Dec 28, 2007
  12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This is staying on my mind so I must ask, can one be accepted of God yet their offering be rejected? Can God accept your offering but not you? Do we have scriptural example of one being accepted and not the other?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How do you know they were twins? I must have missed that one.

How do you know Cain was Eve's favorite? Or that she was even aware of the promise through the "seed"?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

Here is something to throw into the mix (just for fun :laugh: )

How many of you know that Abel was the first prophet of God??
    God's favoring of Abel may well have been the fact that God chose Abel to be His voice among the people and Cain main cause of contention being the first born. I say this due to the display of and in the offering which Abel brought forth by faith and Cains not done so. This faith of Abel's is a verb, thus a response to a truth already known due to the manner in which the offering was brought froth that it was not only the firstling but also ALREADY killed, for he brought the fat thereof. However this is not so much about the specifics of the offering per sey , because in the OT Law offerings could be both of the crops AND of blood. It wasa matter of both the manner of the offering presented AND attitude by which the offering was brought forth. Scripture states Abel brought it forth by faith but Cain did not so both knew the proper manner in which to bring their offerings but Cains disobedience showed his attitude and thus his heart in the matter.
    Therefore Cains offering was more a thing of obligation rather than of faith. It is then we see God communing with Cain about his offering and of repentence so he would be acceptable toward God but that does not deminish the fact he was not in presumably in Gods high favor like Abel since he wasn't God spokesman. iT is then we see Cain talking with Abel and soon afterward we see Cain kill his brother. Now scripture states Cain loved Abel but still killed him out of jealousy.
    This shows the contention stemmed for Abel's relationship (and therefore position) which embittered Cain. In fact we see God telling Cain to repent and offer another offering. But this was not enough for Cain to be 'like' his brother, for we see Cain spoke with his brother Abel and then shortly there after killed him. His killing of the brother he loved gives credence to the fact the issue was in fact about Abel and his relationship with God. And since Cain held the iniquity in his heart and did not repent his deeds remained evil after the manner of Satan who did not turn from what He knew was wrong as well. It was about jealousy, and is why Christians are warned of it in 1 john 3:10-11, using Cain as the example of killing those you love:

#14 Allan, Dec 28, 2007
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I would like all to know that Ed Sutton has at least said that Brother Bob is partly correct, not all the way correct, but for the first time I think, Ed has stated that Brother Bob is at least partly correct................:) Not only partly, but the biggest part...;)

I think the owners of the board should pass out presents on this joyous day...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Lets hear it for Ed. !!!

I will never forget this day, I think I will have all the people march and have floats and everything tomorrow. Maybe even squirrel gravy.

BBob,

#15 Brother Bob, Dec 28, 2007
  16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

[​IMG]

Tis the season for miracles!

17. standingfirminChrist

Abel was able... 'nuff said.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thank you very much! Thank you very much. [​IMG]

19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Are you claiming that Able's offering to God didn't require works on his part?

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Aw, shucks!!

Sorry to disappoint you, Brother Bob, but once again you misread me. Read it slow. :thumbsup:

Everything you said was and is correct, in the post to which I was referring. It merely wasn't the whole story. And, BTW, I have fully agreed with you at various times, in the past.

I just usually don't say a lot, to those with whom I do agree, 'cause I don't want to contriute to any of 'em getting "the big head". ;) [​IMG]

Ed