1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why did God create mankind?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Michael Hobbs, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Michael Hobbs

Michael Hobbs New Member

1. For worship?
    God already had beings (the angels) to worship and praise Him.

2. For fellowship?
    Again, He already had the angels.

3. For His honor and glory?
    It must be that we have or provide something that the angels do not possess. So, what do humans have that the angels of Heaven do not?

Could it be a free will? Do the angels have a free will? Would God create mankind, creatures lower than angels (Heb. 2:7) but possessing something they do not, so that He would have worship and praise from someone of their own free will?

Your thoughts and comments. [​IMG]

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since a portion of the angels rebelled, what do you think? Were they forced to rebel? Or did they have free will to rebel?

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Well, According to Mormon Theology, man was created as a source of flesh and bones bodies for the spirit children of God and his many "broodcow wives". "Broodcow", because they are perpetually barefoot and pregnant bearing God's spirit kids.

That's why God doesn't speak directly to man anymore too, because he's to busy fathering spirit children to populate the earth.

And Yes, according to the Mormons, they, the Mormons, are His elect! They are the one's that Jesus came to seek and to save!

4. Monergist

Monergist New Member

God created man-- and all of creation-- for his own glory.

We must be careful in our thinking that we don't come up with the notion that God created us because He somehow needed us. He did not need our worship, and he did not need our fellowhip. God does not 'need' anything. Worship to Him and fellowship with Him is a privilege-- and the fact that we may participate in these shows His gracious nature. Which brings glory to Him. So worship and fellowship can not be the end, but the means to the end-- which is the glory of God.

5. Turpius

Turpius New Member

for His glory, simple as that!

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God created man:

To love God with his whole being--and his neighbor as himself.

What happened? Man misused his free-will and chose to disobey God.

"Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world."

God is still on His throne--He is not weary nor asleep.

Selah,

Bro. James

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

In the O.T. God said, 'When iniquity was found in thee . . .' The Lord was speaking about the archangel who fell and was cast out of Heaven. I think you will find the verse under the word, 'iniquity.' Scripture does not even hint that God ordained the fall from grace; it was apparently the decision of the highest of all angels to make a valid choice for themselves. I do not think that the 1/3 of the angels who fell were forced to do this dastardly deed.

Some of those who fell are held in {tartarus} as noted in Jude verse 6 and II Peter 2:4. In the last passage in 2:4 is the Greek word, 'tartarosas.' They are imprisoned in utter darkness until just before the Great White Throne Judgment for unbelievers. [Rev. 20:10]

Other fallen angels were released, by God, into our real world where they do the work of the evil one/Devil. He keeps the lost interested in the things of this world, and he tests and tempts we who are the people of God, hoping that we will fail the Lord and bring dishonor to His holy Name.

Were those fallen angels more formidable, that were consigned to 'tartarus?' Probably no one really knows.

8. nwells

nwells New Member

Talking about Israel God says:

Isaiah 43:7 (NASB95)
    "Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.”

And again He says through Paul:

Romans 9:22-23 (NKJV)
    "What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory"

God's own glory is central to why He does anything:

2 Corinthians 4:15 (NKJV)
    "For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God."

All things are for our sakes - Why?

So that it may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.

Isaiah 48:11 (NKJV)
    "For My own sake, for My own sake, I will do it; For how should My name be profaned? And I will not give My glory to another."

It is not primarily for the sake of man that God does anything - it it for His own sake - for His own name and for His glory.

John 12:27-28 (NKJV)
    “Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour.
    Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”

Jesus came to die - for the Glory of His Father's name.

God does not need us:

Psalm 50:12 (NKJV)
    "If I were hungry, I would not tell you; For the world is Mine, and all its fullness."

We are saved for His own glory and for nothing else - He is the reason; all other reasons are beneath Him.

Because He lives,
    Nathan

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Michael .

I believe this is the beginning of things. I believe that come the resurrection the universe will be filled to the brim with life.

He had all the fellowship He needed in the Trinity. He does not need created things.

We have no glory to add to His glory. Nothing in creation can add to His glory but it does reveal it.

I find I worship Him quite naturally and I enjoy it. But when I sit down and think about it I find myself questioning why exactly any supreme being should want a lesser being to bow down to Him.

The angels that did not fall were the ones God chose and kept for Himself. They too needed election. 1 Tim 5:21.

johnp.