1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why did God create the physical universe?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TomLaPalm, Mar 9, 2016.

1. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

Is this the same author who wrote the famous sermon "Sinners in the Hands of a Angry God"?

There is a real problem with this statement:
    God did not love angels in the strictest sense, but in consequence of his intending to create them, and so having an idea of future existing angels. Therefore his love to them was not properly what excited him to intend to create them. Love or benevolence, strictly taken, presupposes and existing object, as much as pity a miserable.

God does not love one of His creation less than another. It is impossible.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know one thing...God did not create out of necessity.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

3. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

would my creation have not glorified God id I was created in Heaven?

4. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

because you don't even consider the question

5. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

your right God created out of love, The same reason He did for us as one of us.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suspect that God would be glorified in your creation (regardless of the locale) or He wouldn’t have created you. God is glorified in creation, in the things that are made which have in Him their being…their existence. Creation is an expression, an act, of God. In other words, God’s glorification through Creation is a self-glorification.

Now, if you are asking if it would have been a demonstration of a greater glory for God to have created you in Heaven rather than on earth, then (while questioning the validity of that inquiry) I would still answer a resounding “no”. The reason is that I believe God has created the best possible world, the best possible scenario, of all choices (of all possible worlds or scenarios).

So yes, were you created as some sort of heavenly being God would be glorified. But no, as God did not create you as such (and God is perfect) I believe that you reflect God’s glory within God’s plan in ways that would not have been so had you been created as a heavenly being.

God is glorified (His glory is manifest) through the work of redemption. The reason for our salvation is God's glory. And God's work of creating is perfect (it is as God intended it to be, and therefore the perfect and best possible act of creation).

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the question should be; Why did God lay down the foundation of the world ( Kosmos ) as he did? Why put man here on the earth where Satan is roaming to and fro? On the earth.

You posted Isa. 45:18 where it is definitely stated that God did not create ( bara' ) the earth, in vain ( תֹּהוּ tohuw ) yet Gen 1:2 definitely states the created earth was without form, ( תֹּהוּ tohuw ) in vain.

Was the earth without form and void because Satan was roaming to and fro upon the earth in Gen. 1:2; Therefore the laying down of the foundation of the world (Kosmos) inclusive of man.

Therefore the reasoning according to scripture for my former posts.

What was God going to do concerning the roaming to and fro of Satan, the devil, on the earth and for his sin and works, on the earth?

What was the Plan of God before the foundation of the world for Satan, the devil, and his works and would that Plan involve the need for redemption. Redemption of what? Is redemption the very means, that would bring about the destruction of the devil and his works?

For the Plan to work what had to happen to the man?

8. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

So you position is... there is a name for it.. God has a hero complex.... whereby He puts man in danger of hell just so He can save some of them?

No I can't accept that. neither will you when you consider the end to your statements.

Salvation /redemption is God glory, but one cannot ignore how we got where we are.and why the universe was crested , redemption of sinners

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my position is that God is the Deliverer of whom our "hero" stories merely and vaguely allude. My statement was that Creation is an act, or expression, of God and that as such demonstrates His own glory. Then I said that I believe God is perfect, and that when He creates he does so in accord with his perfect nature. What God has created is ultimately perfect in design, function, and result. God is glorified in Heaven (not only by his presence but also by his heavenly creation). And God is glorified on earth.

What you don't accept is your own statement, and I agree. It was a silly characterization which deserves to be rejected. My theology is more Christ-centered than your assessment allows. Whether you personally hold a view that replaces God with man as it's "theological center", I do not know. But to save misunderstanding in the future, I do not.

10. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

Did God place man here in jeopardy just to save some? No, so the purpose is something else..
    Is God glorified in this physical creation? certainly. Is God glorified in the redemption of sinners ontheir way to hell? decidedly so.

The purpose of creation of the physical universe is to hold sinners provide away whereby redemption can be offered by one death for all,

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, so the purpose is something else.. > Correct

The purpose was to destroy the devil.

12. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very same.

Before I deal w/ your "real problem", I'd like to know (1) how you came to this passage of the book & (2) have you read the entire book? It will help me militate against your critique.

But the last line doesn't need the above information. That is because it is absolutely asinine. Not only does God love some segments of his creation (i.e. humanity made in his image) more than other segments (cockroaches), I also believe he loves some humans (the elect) more than others (non elect). Now the second you may find objectionable. And that is a different debate for a different thread. But how can you believe that God love the world so much that he gave his Son for cockroaches "the very same"??? That is absurd. I do believe God loves all of his creation. But certainly not to the same extent. If God loved angels equally to humans, then why do they not have a kinsman redeemer to save them?

13. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

Please note that your position is that God loves humans more than angels, so He even though some angels sinned and He didn't save them, He then created man, who He also knew would sin, yet choose to save some. ?

Simple Angels do not have kinsman, Each "elohyim" is uniquely created individuals without brotherhood. Each has God as "father" no brothers. So how one by the blood of one affect any others. I could not.

That is why

Heb 2:9

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Heb 2:14

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

1Co 15:21

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

Humanity is the method where God could save many sinners by one death, as one of us sinners

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that sinful man is a part of that Creation, I could see a point here. But I see as an error the supposition that God actually placed men in jeopardy. Another issue of disagreement is the notion that Creation was purposed with the goal of housing sinners and providing a way for redemption to be offered. It seems to me that there exists a greater and God centered purpose than your post suggests.

Sent from my TARDIS

15. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

He allows the devil to live,

16. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

Spiritual sin was here before Adam,

Notice in scripture that evil spirits seek to "enter or reside " in people, or animals. The spiritually dead cannot react to the spiritual and seek to interact with the physical,
    The physical world wasn't cursed until Adam (physical being) sinned.

Well, our Baptist doctrine includes that God created some here in a place and time that could not hear of Jesus, (and since Salvation is by no other) are doomed to Hell.

The purpose is reconciliation of Heaven through the redemption , restoration of sinners.

The Shepherd left the 99 to find the 1 lost sheep.

This incredible creation and the most extreme consideration that the creator became one of the sinners who He had already condemned. God is glorified by the actions to offer a pardon to us.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Through one man, Adam, sin entered the world. Sin was not here before Adam. Neither was physical death and suffering.
    I disagree with your conclusions here. First, when Jesus speaks of the unclean spirit being cast out and wandering, I believe he is anthropomorphically of the state of man (not the nature of evil spirits). In Matthew 12 and Luke 11, for example, this seems to be a continuation of the previous passage (of his casting out the demon). The point being that the empty house will not remain empty long. In the absence of God evil resides. Likewise, the point in Matthew 8:31 and Mark 4:12 is the destructive nature of these spirits, not that they look for a body in which to rest or reside (they drove the swine off the cliff, after all, ridding themselves of the bodies they had requested to enter).
    If you are speaking of those evil spirits as the “spiritually dead” then I disagree. Satan goes before the very presence of God. If you are speaking of something else, then I do not understand what you mean.
    I agree. It was subjected to futility because God subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will also be set free into the freedom of the glory of God’s children. So creation groans and suffers, and we alongside as we await for the redemption of our body.
    You are partly right. Those who have not heard of Jesus and do not believe are condemned. But it is not because God has created them in a place and time that they could not hear that they are condemned. They were already condemned, as were we all. I do believe that this is Christ centered, but their rejection is not necessarily rejecting a clear presentation of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
    Our Baptist doctrine teaches that what is being reconciled is this world (this physical world) and man. This is why we seek that God's will be done here as it is in Heaven. Scripture, fortunately, affirms this doctrine we hold. It is what Paul states as the foundation of our faith.
    The identity of the one sheep is “one of these” throughout the passages in Matthew. The 99 are not heavenly beings, but the sheep given to the Shepherd (we are talking about temptations and sin in those parables, not heavenly beings and man). I’m not sure we disagree on that point (I certainly hope we don’t, anyway).
    Jesus took upon himself the sin of humanity (our sinfulness, yet without sin). This is why Paul looks so intently on the resurrection of Christ and our own resurrection.
    Yes, I agree. God is glorified.

18. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for that link... I have added to my favorites and will read it later!... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  19. TomLaPalm

TomLaPalm Member

Pardon the format.
    Sin did enter the physical world through Adam, but not the spiritual. Satan was here , even in the Garden, before Adam sinned. Satan entered the serpent, then influenced Eve.

Satan is here , excluded from the presence of God. He is just as accountable but separated from Heaven. If a sinner was allowed in back in Heaven, Christ's death would not be needed.

How does a "anthropomorphically of the state of man" speak and answer Jesus? The swine would not allow an evil spirit influence, but man did. The evil spirits did not drive the swine to drown, The swine did it to get rid of the evil spirits.

Another example, the evil spirit asks Jesus if He was there to torment them before their time? They were expecting further judgement.
    "evil spirits" exist, they are here. They cannot experience the physical world with a living being.

The Bible does not teach the physical world will be reconciled with Heaven, All things will be reconciled unto Himself., by the cross. The physical world will be destroyed.

The lost sheep, coin, prodigal etc, show a previous relationship of the lost article with the seeker. From Jesus' POV, He is seeking the lost souls, Doctrine suggest that God seeks complete strangers to save. The parable show differently.

The point about place and time of birth is that God controls the soul of a person, in order to hear the Gospel. Our doctrine suggests that He does not allow all to hear..

no, Jesus became sin for us... God took the penalty , He had given. Through the shared flesh and blood, we share the death,

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sure that we agree on many things, and that we rejoice together in Christ for our salvation. But there is very little concerning this topic about which we seem to agree.

I believe that Satan went before God (literally) as the accuser of Job (and other brethren, day and night). I do perhaps take Job more literally than many would see fit.

Concerning Jesus speaking “anthropomorphically of the state of man,” that was a typo. What I meant to say was that in Matthew 12 and Luke 11 Jesus is speaking anthropomorphically as he is speaking of the state of man. He was not speaking of the nature of evil spirits seeking a physical abode, but instead of serving but one master. When the house is clean the spirit will return greater than it left.

Your example is what I was speaking of. The demons requested to be cast into a heard of swine, which they quickly destroyed, leaving them in this world without a physical body.

I do not understand what you mean by “evil spirits exist, they are here. They cannot experience the physical world with a living being.”

There are none who are complete strangers from God. God is the Creator of all.

I disagree that our doctrine suggests that God does not “allow all to hear.” All can hear what is available, and all reject God. But God is not obligated to save everyone. It is not a matter of not “allowing to hear,” but a matter of effectually calling. God does not effectually call everyone who has already rejected what has been made available in terms of God’s own revelation.

No, God through Jesus was reconciling the world to Himself. There will be a new heaven and new earth.

I’ve been wondering, and you certainly don’t have to answer, but a copule of times you referenced “our doctrine” (or what we believe)….what denomination are you speaking of? Some of your theories are foreign to many Baptists, certainly foreign to many Baptist teachers, and I’m simply trying to understand your position a bit more.