1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why did God create us and what did he do before he created us?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Mar 17, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Why does a self-sufficient God create humans? Why didn't he just enjoy himself? Would he be lonely without us? Was he lonely before he had us? What did he do before he created us?
    Did he get bored? Did he sit there one day and think: Why not make humans?
    This is really hard to imagine somehow. I mean can God feel lonely or miss something in his life? Since he is self-sufficient this doesn't seem to be possible. :confused:

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

That's kind of a strange question (or set of questions) since God is eternal and thus outside of time. He, in fact, created time, so one has to use the word "before" advisedly with that fact in mind. Also, God was never "alone" in the sense that He was one solitary individual or monad. God from eternity has been a "Community" of Persons--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, all equally sharing the Father's One Undivided Divine Essence. (God is Trinitarian not Unitarian.) God doesn't "get bored"--in fact He doesn't "get" anything since He is immutable. (He just IS.) However, God is Love, and out of love He created other personal beings (angels and humans.)

3. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Psa 102:18 This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD.

Psalm 148

Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

By these scriptures they give account as to why God created us.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But does God even though he is outside of time not also experience time in a way? I mean does God not also look back to things which are in the past? For example when God created Adam. This is long time ago. What is this for God? Is it past? Or present or what? I mean right now God is not at this point where he created Adam and this means that God also moves on and then thinks back to this day, right?

5. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

You know, in the 60's, there were billboards all over the place, even in the most SBC areas, that said, "God is Dead."

It was only recently, some philosopher friends of mine told me where that whole movement came from. You would think it was atheism. But, they suggested after months of conferring of theologians and secular humanists, and their final conclusion was, "God is Dead", that he had created the universe out of a sense of reproduction; then he fathered/parented the Creation, brought Jesus into existence, then he died, leaving us to worship his Son and to follow a new set of rules.

What evidence is there that God (the Father) is still alive? I don't even know of a scriptural basis for his current existence other than in the form of Christ.

Fascinating. Would this change the nature of sin and salvation? What happened to those well-funded guys that put up all those billboards. One right across the street from the West Rome (GA) Baptist Church?

Would it be blasphemous to accept thier findings?

6. Petrel

Petrel New Member

One way people have expressed it is to say that everything that happens linearly to us happens simultaneously to God, but he can see how it happens sequentially as well. So in a way Adam and Eve are eating the apple right now, and Jesus is being born right now, and whatever will happen in the future is happening right now to God.

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Yes.

8. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

That would make sense if God is omniscient. How else could he process simultaneous knowledge?

9. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

C'mon, we don't live in a bubble. How do we address these concepts when we are witnessing to the unsaved?

10. standingfirminChrist

God is not dead. The fool hath said in his heart there is no God.

All through the New Testament you can find mention of the Father, the Son, and The Holy Spirit.

John wrote in 1 John 5 that the three 'bear record in Heaven'.

God is not dead.

11. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

But, how do I address these questions, when there have been no additions to the bible since when?

12. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

edited because of non-baptist URL posted.

Atheists:
    We can just ignore them or we can witness. What would Jesus say?

[ March 17, 2006, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

SuperBaptist your name is a misnomer as you don't promote Baptist doctrine at all.
    But most importantly, the topic of this thread is "Why did God create us and what did he do before he created us?" Stick to the topic, and post relevant posts. Your posts that promote atheism and go off on such red herrings will henceforth be deleted.
    DHK

14. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

DHK, how can someone answer a question if they can't read it?

You have misquoted me. Mine is not a general question regarding Atheists, it is regarding the writing of Nietzche and a movement we can't just ignore. I object to the editing.

Would you prefer i just post the entire quote from Nietzche? Seems like a waste of space.

Are we really limited to posting from Baptist URLs? The whole rest of the internet is off limits?

Maybe we should just preach to the saved.

15. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

I am not promoting atheism. And I resent your suggestion that I am. I'm a 45 year old Baptist that has led many to Christ in the US, Costa Rica and Japan. Atheists exist...they need answers. Do you just ignore them?

And please tell me, authority, what is Baptist doctrine. I am saved by faith, Baptised by the Holy Spirit and shared Christ's word as is the great Commission.

But, you say I am not a Baptist. What am I, oh judge? Do you take away my salvation too?

16. nate

nate New Member

Not only would it be blasphemous but it would also be a heresy the Church condemned in A.D. 325.

17. standingfirminChrist

I side with DHK on this one. The thread is not whether God is dead or not. That has no relevance to the title...

Why Did God Create Us And What Did He Do Before He Created Us?

God created us for His pleasure. What did He do before that? Created everything else for His pleasure. Revelation 4:11

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Post from an objective source, not some New Age website.
    If you want to post what Niezche beliefs are, then use an encyclopedia, not a religious site that spews out heretical doctrine. BB is not a sounding board for other cults and their heresies.
    DHK

19. standingfirminChrist

SB,

You post things that are contrary to Baptist beliefs in practically every one of your posts. You try to say that our written word is not to be taken at face value. That we don't need it; that all we need to do is listen to a voice instead of reading the Written Word.

DHK has a right to judge you as not being Baptist. You have not shown any indication of being a Baptist.

One can call himself any denominational name he wants, but if that one does not adhere to the beliefs and tenets that that particular denomination hold as truths, that one is not of that denomination at all.

Many followed Jesus who later turned away because they were not of Him.

20. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Any answer to this question would be outside of scripture as far as I can tell. The Bible, as inspired as it is, is not a complete history of time istelf, nor a biography of God.