1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why did God Harden Pharoah's heart?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why is that confusing? You think God forced Pharoah to do something Pharoah wasn't going to do? Pharoah acted freely (all sinners do). And God said he would harden Pharoah's heart.

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Why is that confusing?
    Pharoah...freely harden...God did it.

Pharoah acted freely, yes, through 5:2. But God, in this case, to make His power known took his freewill from him, by hardening his heart, (as you said). Egypt went through some severe plagues. Anyone, in their right mind, after one or two of those plagues would have pleaded with Israel to leave, but Pharoah did not; Why?: he could not, it was not God's will for Pharoah to give in until God was through with him.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Pharoah acted freely on the way through. I don't think God took free will from him. I think you underestimate the power of sin in someone's life.

4. Watchman

Watchman New Member

While I am adamantly opposed to TULIP Theology, IN THIS CASE God exercised His right to do with Pharaoh as He pleases. This is the same right that God has with all of us.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There are passages about how God gives people over to their sinful desires (as in Romans 1). I think that Pharaoh is a case of that -- God knew Pharaoh would reject the requests of God through Moses and Aaron and he just let Pharaoh's heart harden. Our hearts naturally harden without God softening them for the truth.