1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why did Peter begin to sink?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Winman, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You most certainly did. Then on top of this I am also blind.

OK.

And now, not only blind, I also have blind faith.

OK.

Thanks.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are not getting it are you.
    The RCC believes in the assumption of Mary. That is blind faith. It is faith without any basis or reason.

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Please just edit your post. No need to take this to a personal level. You are a mod. You should be setting an example.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you have accepted something that you believe to be true (which may or may not be true) only because a person says it is, then you have accepted it blindly and without reason.

5. preacher4truth

You're way over the line as both a Christian and a moderator. I've given you ample Scriptures regarding my position.

All you've said is instigative, negative, and filled with personal attacks.

OK.

Now to top it off I'm RC and/or have a "faith without reason." You're attacking my relationship with God here. I don't and won't take that lightly.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

Exactly. Jbh28 says he has scripture to support faith is a gift, but fails to show them. It is true that there is a spiritual gift of faith that allowed Christians to perform miracles shown in 1 Cor 12:9 & 13:2, but there is not one verse in all of scripture that says God gives the gift of faith to an unbeliever. They can't show it, because it isn't there. This is the doctrine of men, not scripture.

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

It's been given plenty of times. No need to quote them again only to be falsely accused of not having them again later. But because I'm nice, I'll at least give you a link to someone else explaining it with the verses of the Bible that teach that faith is a gift of God. http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/piper/faith01.html One other thought, a person that has faith would be a believer. One in the same. But before he was given faith, he was an unbeliever. Once he is a believer, he has been given faith. Once he has been given faith, he is a believer.

#67 jbh28, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  8. preacher4truth

Amen, keep preaching it.

Understand that the faith he was given to believe came from Christ, Romans 10:17, 2 Peter 1:1-2.

Defend the faith given to saints. We've given a good apology for this, no need to go further.

- Peace

#68 preacher4truth, Jul 18, 2011
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

God provides the evidence to believe, we all have the ability to believe or refuse to believe when evidence is presented us. A perfect example was Thomas. He was not present when Jesus appeared to the apostles after his resurrection. The apostles all told Thomas that Jesus was risen and had appeared to them. Thomas should have believed, these men were his true and good friends who had spent three years with him. But Thomas refused to believe until he saw the nail prints in Jesus's hands, and the wound in his side. Later, Jesus appeared again and Thomas saw Jesus for himself. What caused his belief? Let's see what Jesus himself said.

Jn 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Did Jesus say Thomas believed because he had been supernaturally zapped to believe? NO. Thomas believed simply because he saw Jesus.

Faith is not some magical, mystical substance. Faith is based on evidence and reason. Thomas saw Jesus, he could not deny the evidence of his own eyes. There was nothing magical here, to the contrary it was quite normal.

Faith is simply believeing God's promises as Abraham did, or Moses when God commanded him to go before Pharaoh. That took courage, but Moses believed God and did what he was told.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I said what I did in jest for I believe Christ is our faith. He got out of the boat and God allowed him to walk on the water yet when he allowed the fear of the wind to get his focus God let him sink. He could not maintain his focus on Jesus therefore God let him sink. David did much the same. A boy tending the sheep yet when his focus was upon God he killed a bear and a lion and a giant. Yet when God wasn't his focus he feared for his life and ran from Saul to the home of the giant who he had killed. All men this side of the resurrection I believe will be of little faith.

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Uh, actually I did.

Rom 12:3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Paul is writing to the church at Rome. He is speaking of specific spiritual gifts:

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. (Romans 12:3-8)

These are gifts, temporary gifts that were given to the church at Rome before the NT was completed during the first century. Note the gift of prophecy mentioned. That is no longer a gift in use today, is it? It has ceased. So likewise have the other gifts in their supernatural character in which they were manifested in the first century. Here is what the "People's NT Commentary says about this passage:
    This is not a proof-text for God giving faith today.
    Faith is simply confidence. There is nothing supernatural about it. The supernatural spiritual gifts have ceased.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Faith is still here today. Not a good rebuttal at all. Prophecy is much different from faith. You can't dismiss Scripture like this.

#73 jbh28, Jul 18, 2011
  14. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

This is why we MUST taech entire teaching of the Bible on any doctrine!

WOF/name it claim it etc take the doctrine of faith and extreme it, take it to the position that God is seen by them as being akin to the Force, that he has "spiritual laws/rules" and that IF one obeys them, even God MUST bow down before His own rules and be a genie...

heresy 101!

15. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

excuse me here, but to cals its not just 'blind faith" that we reason from the scriptures this way!

We believe that it is the teaching of the Bible concerning areas of Sotierology

And we would appreciate it that IF in the future would not portray it as 'false/bad/stupid/" theology

We could same the same about either "nameless/Arm" theologies

But WONT

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Two points.
    1. You can say anything you want about "nameless/Arm" theologies here, but I don't know who you are referring to. It won't be me. You will just be blowing in the wind.

2. As I have mentioned before, we have been through five threads now, and not one Calvinist has been able to demonstrate that faith is a gift of God, especially to the unbeliever.
    Thus my statement, when you hear something often enough, long enough, you believe it whether it be true or not. You believe it without any basis or reason. And that is blind faith. Do you want me to give some examples of blind faith. I have many. They come primarily from other religions such as Islam, Hinduism, the RCC, and other sources.

17. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

I know you don't want to hear this DHK, but the RCC isn't another religion. It is a Christian religion - and the very first one I might add.

WM

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A spiritual gift to the saved.

19. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

What is it that the Cals would say that normal man could have faith in? Would the Cal's say that the normal man cannot have faith at all (in anything)?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If they are a Christian religion then so are the J.W.'s. Both have about the same amount of truth in common; or shall I say error. You can't get saved believing RCC doctrine. You can't get saved believing baptismal regeneration and a salvation by works theology. It never was a Christian religion, is not, and never will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.