1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Did You Become A Premillennialist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Oct 9, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Did anyone come to BB as either Amil or Postmil and after several interactions became a Premil? If you were then converted to Premil, WHAT did it for you?

2. Or you were a Premil and became an Amil or Postmil, WHAT did it for you? (I sense that this question is a silly one). :laugh:

2. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

It's obvious...so I wouldn't miss the Rapture. :laugh:

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is pre trib, not premil.

4. Alex Quackenbush

Right...my response was über serious too. Sheesh. Take a pill already before someone suspects you of being a Calvinist!:laugh:

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I love it! :laugh:

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Quackenbush, did you say Quackenbush? Sounds like the President in an AFLAC commerical.

7. Alex Quackenbush

Ah yes, when left empty handed resort to the ol' insult. :laugh: :laugh: Tsk tsk you succumb so quickly.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I guess you realize you were picked for that name before the foundation of the earth.

9. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Neither of the questions in the OP apply to me, however, to answer the question in the title... "why did you become a premill?"

Because I read the scripture and believed what it said, as it said it! Call me crazy!:laugh:

Max

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you'll find many who were changed because of their interactions on the BB, but I'll tell you why I believed Premillennialism and then changed to Amillennialism.

I was RLDS in my early years. Baptized at the age of 10 and was taught the RLDS form of premillennialism.

Shortly thereafter, for reasons that were not explained to me, my parents quit the RLDS church and began bringing us to the local Baptist church. I was too unversed in the Scriptures to know the difference between the RLDS and Baptist Churches. Anyway, the successive pastors there all preached Premillennialism and that's what I believed.

Though we attended the Baptist Church, I had Charismatic friends and was drawn to their form of worship. So though I attended on Sunday mornings with my parents, Wednesdays and Sunday nights belonged to the Charismatics, who also believe and preach Premillennialism. (Both my parents grew up as Pentecostals, then converted to RLDS, then left the RLDS for the Baptist church, and now they're both back at the Pentecostal church they attended as children.)

In my college years, God gave me a spiritual hunger and I spent most of my time studying the Bible. It was in the university library where I studied the history of Mormonism, the Book of Mormon, and compared and contrasted their teachings with the teaching of the Scriptures.

It was in the systematic, study of the Scriptures that I finally cast off the trappings of Mormonism, Charismania, and Baptist-Pentecostalism. I found the claims of Premillennialism unsupported and actually contradicted by the Gospels and the Epistles. So I cast off Premillennialism.

Seeing this as a kind of epiphany, I confessed my faith in the Christ of the Protestant Bible and was baptized in a Baptist church in 1985.

I didn't become Amillennial immediately. I didn't really know how to approach Revelation. After studying the four main views, I found Amillennialism to best explain Revelation, and settled with it.

Of course, one can't study the Scriptures without seeing the doctrine of Election. It was then that I understood just how sufficient Christ's grace was for me, and I was completely free. I other words, I became a Calvinist.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, here's your problem. You don't study Scripture through a systematic theological view.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You think I have a family member who hasn't attempted to educate me about the error of my ways? But I can't wait to hear your lesson. Please, do elaborate O enlightened one.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

With sarcasm like that, I'm sure you really have an open heart to the truth :rolleyes:
    I won't be wasting my time. Just continue to depend on interpreting Scripture through your systematic theology.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you even know what systematic theology is?

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

oops - double post :)

#15 Allan, Oct 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007
  16. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is from John MacArthur's commentary from Rev 20, regarding Premill and contrasting it with both Postmill and Amill:
    The rest in to follow.

#16 Allan, Oct 12, 2007
  17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Here is the rest of it.

I figured since this thread was about Premill, I would give J. MacArthur's thoughts.

#17 Allan, Oct 12, 2007
  18. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, It is very obvious that you have studied theology and I give you a lot of credit for that. Of course, pre/post and so fourth are not show stoppers as there have been men used of God throughout history on both sides of the coin.

I don't know you Aaron. I guess though what comes to mind reading your posts is the thought that you wander around from theology to theology. Not to argue that a person should stick to one theology to avoid change or to be stubborn. But there is a certain defensive quality in the tone of your words.

This leads me to believe that (right or wrong) you may change your position again if you find it convenient, which is of course is your right to do. This is just my observation, please don't be offended.

Tom

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not Aaron but if I may:
    I would not say he would change when he finds it convient but biblcally necessary. You may know all there is to know about scripture and therefore have never needed to change a thing in your understanding. But the rest of us have and will do so as we continue to grow in Christ and yes, modify or even change our views as God reveals faults there in.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In case you don't...
    "Systematic theology is the attempt to formulate a coherent philosophy which is applicable to the component parts of a given faith's system of belief. Inherent to a system of theological thought is that a method is developed, one which can be applied both broadly and particularly"
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic theology