1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do all unbelievers go to hell?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 19, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Have you ever thought about this?
    Did God invent hell as punishment for all those which do not want to accept him because he wants to punish them for not accepting him? I mean what does God feel when he sends the unsaved to hell? In revelation Jesus says depart from me you cursed. This sounds like Jesus is angry at them. Is God angry at them? Does he send them to hell being angry or does he send them to hell being sad because of them?
    I mean why doesn't God for example only send Satan to hell and all the unbelievers remain on a lonely planet where they are lonely but at least they do not burn in flames for all eternity?
    I think you can easily become confused when you think about these things and get this picture of God who delights in punishing people or blackmailing people like "Either you love me and believe in me or I will punish you for all eternity". But this cannot be God, this doesn't fit to God. But inspite of this you can easily get such thoughts. Especially atheists want to make God look like somebody who blackmails people and then it's hard having the right answer.
    For example I find it kind of hard to comprehend that 1 sin would be enough to burn in hell forever. For example, and I know this is hypothetical, if a person had only done 1 sin then this person would burn in hell like all the others, which sinned much more. But is this really correct? Do all people get the same punishment in heaven? Are all sins the same? Is a "normal" atheist who lived a normal life as bad as a satanist or a mass murderer? :confused:

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason that it is hard for you to comprehend is because it isn't true.

One sin does not send you to hell. One hundred sins do not send you to hell.

What sends you to hell is not your sins. It's you sin nature.

Not sins....lower case "s". Those are acts committed by people who are already Sinners.....capital "s".

Adam and Eve sinned once and became sinners. But all of the rest of us were BORN sinners and then began sinning. We inherited the sin nature from them.

People go to hell because they are born with a sin nature that they do not allow Jesus Christ to change in them.

You don't go to hell because you lie or cheat or murder or gossip or hate....

You go to hell because you have a nature that is sinful and because you deliberately chose to allow your sin nature to govern your life and not Jesus Christ and his atoning grace.

Individuals sins do not banish you to hell, but people who go to hell will be judged on their individual sins as for their severity of punishment in hell.

Individual good works do not get you into heaven, but believers who go to heaven will be judged on their works for their reward. Rewards, which when received, will be cast at the feet of Jesus to give Him the glory for it all.

xdisciplex....are you a christian?

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Here is one thorny issue. Why would God provide eternal torture and punishment for something one has absolutely no control over. Sure, he provided a way out, but not all will hear, not all will be convinced. Good topic for discussion.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ Scarlett

If sins do not send us to hell then what about this? Why are some sins especially mentioned in the bible? This wouldn't make sense if you were right.

Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

xdisciplex....are you a christian?

Why do you ask me this question? Are my questions "unchristian"? Would a real christian not ask such a question? I really wonder why so many christians ask me this question.

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That passage is usually understood as people who practice such things, in which case, they show that they really do not believe. (rather than believe, but "struggle", "slip and fall into it", etc)

Here is a good article explaining sin and hell:
    (The Morality of Everlasting Punishment, By Mark Talbot)

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Interesting comment about those without the Word of God but WITH the New Covenant LAW of God "written on the heart"

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But of course - the chapter continues -

Showing us that it is God the Holy Spirit that works on the heart EVEN on the heart of those without the bible "Convicting the WORLD of sin and righteousness and judgment" -- even though they are not all "Jews".

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

xdisciplex said:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For example I find it kind of hard to comprehend that 1 sin would be enough to burn in hell forever. For example, and I know this is hypothetical, if a person had only done 1 sin then this person would burn in hell like all the others, which sinned much more. But is this really correct? Do all people get the same punishment in heaven? Are all sins the same? Is a "normal" atheist who lived a normal life as bad as a satanist or a mass murderer?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The bible says that we have all sinned.
    Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    If I broke the law should I be punished? If the judge is a good judge he should punish me.

You said you found it hard to believe that one sin would be enough to burn in hell forever. well yes you could be a relly good persn and just sin one time and guess what if you don't have Jesus... one sin will be all it takes.
    Jam 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
    So what does a sinner do?
    Well lets say that you are in court and the judge has found you guilty of a crime and all of a sudden a man comes into the court room and says here judge here is the money to pay the fine so that you can set this man free. Would you be thankful and want to get to know him bettter... or would you say... "no, go on I don't believe you!" ? Of course you would be thankful and want to show your gratitude to your new found friend. Well Jesus paid our fine on the cross and if we believe upon Him we will not have to go to hell. God loved us that much to send His Son.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I am so thankful that Jesus loved us so much that He went to the cross to make a way for us. :praise: :Fish:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How can you be sure that not all will hear?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why? One sin was enough that every single human being suffers and dies physically!

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: An excellent question. It is a well known idea among Calvinistic and Baptist Churches that the damning sin is the rejection of Jesus Christ. I disagree.

If a man lies on a bed dying of cancer, and the doctor walks in and says, “If you follow my prescribed plan, you will not die but live” and the man rejects the counsel of the doctor, was the cause of his death the cancer, or the rejection of the cure? I say he died of the cancer, and rejecting the cure sealed his fate.

Sin is the willful transgression of a known commandment of God. God sentences man to hell for his sins. If man is fortunate enough to hear the gospel and still rejects it, that will indeed seal his fate, but the damning sin is the willful act of disobedience to God’s moral law that has not been repented for and forsaken.

12. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Man's sin began with Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden:

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Romans 5:12)

The penalty of sin is death:

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

The forgiveness of sin requires the shedding of blood:

And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. (Hebrews 9:22)

Jesus Christ is the only way to the Father:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

No Jesus, no heaven!

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (John 3:36)

God did not create hell for man--hell was created for the devil and his angels:

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: (Matthew 25:41)

One chooses to go to hell by the rejection of the gift of salvation which is found only in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

#12 Linda64, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006
  13. Heavenly Pilgrim

Hi Linda,
    Do you feel that it is within the realm of possibilities that there might be someone in hell that has never heard the gospel message?

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

When Jesus said that "no man cometh unto the Father but by me"--He meant NO MAN--there was no exceptions made. With the technology we have today, the gospel is being spread all over the world. There are missionaries being sent to the uttermost parts of this earth to witness to the lost. Romans 1:17-20 pretty much covers the sinful condition of man:

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (Romans 1:17)

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; (Romans 1:18)

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. (Romans 1:19)

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: (Romans 1:20)

It is the responsibility of the saved to witness to the lost (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15). If there is someone in hell who has not heard the gospel, we can point the finger back at ourselves.

#14 Linda64, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2006
  15. gekko

gekko New Member

what about those who dont have the mental capacity to understand anything? like mentally challenged people... or babies...

16. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Babies have no knowledge of sin--they will go to heaven-- that doesn't mean babies are "sinless"--it means that they are innocent--

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 19:14)

The Lord is able to cause the "mentally challenged" person to understand the gospel. How difficult is it for the gospel to be understood?

17. gekko

gekko New Member

im going to go to an extreme here i know... but.

what about those who are blind and deaf from birth?
    there ARE those who are mentally challenged who can't understand a thing. right?

what about those rare cases?

18. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I don't know if you are aware of this, but there are many, many churches which use "signers" during services and Sunday School--for the deaf--also, there is braille for the blind--my husband is blind and uses braille.

#18 Linda64, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2006
  19. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You did a fine job of circumventing the question. I did not ask you where the blame could be pointed. What would that matter to the one in hell’s torment? Would pointing a finger eleviate their torment? I asked you if the possibility existed if anyone might be in hell that might in fact not heard the gospel, not where the blame would lie. Try again to answer the question directly. It should be an easy question to give a straight answer to.

20. gekko

gekko New Member

linda did answer your question HP... in her first paragraph.
    ---

linda... how would it be possible for a person who is born blind and deaf (so when the person is born - this single person is blind as well as being deaf) - to learn braille? (wouldnt be able to learn sign language because the person would be blind.) can't hear - so it'd be basically impossible to teach braille...