1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do Christian collges cost so much?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JRG39402, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's leave comments about PCC to another thread. Here let's just focus on the cost and financing of "Christian" Colleges.

2. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

You should check out Maranatha. Our older daughter went to Cedarville 10 years ago. Our youngest daughter is at Maranatha now. The cost at Maranatha now is what we were paying 10 years ago at Cedarville even with our older daughter's basketball scholarship. Maranatha is accredited so the Pell grant is available plus the regular student loans. Excellent education. She also went to a Community College her first two years and then transferred.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anyone stated anything against PCC itself. They only recommended, and I agree, that your bachelor's degree would serve you better from an accredited institution.

With that in mind, I suggest North Greenville University . It is fully accredited, conservative, Baptist, and affordable.

May you choose wisely.

Blessings,
    Bill

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

My kids work part-time making about $12,000 to 18,000 a year, pay their own expenses (car, rent, food, clothes, books) and attend community colleges their first year or two.

They both received Pell grants their first two years.

By the end of their second year they make too much to qualify for Pell Grants.

By the way, they were both 16 when they started college!

The daughter worked as a waitress (Pizza Hut, then IHOP, now Chili's). She also received a school scholarship for good grades (Auburn University).

The son works as a Nurse Aide making $12.00 an hour as a level three PRN. He also received a full scholarship for his second year of community college for good grades.

Neither will take out loans.

So . . .

If you want to get through college and study what you want, community colleges combined with work can make it happen for you.

Then, as has already been suggested, transfer to a four year college (Christian or public).

When my son earns his A.A. degree in computer programming and Cisco networking, he will be able to work and attend a Christian college for his final two years, if he so desires.

Now how badly do you want to get through college debt free. My son works a job that I wouldn't want to do, but at his age, it is good for him.

You can do it!

Here's the rub. Do you want to become an adult, work and attend college, and prepare for a future career?

Or do you want to live in a sheltered environment, take out loans, allow others to treat you like a kid, and basically be relegated to the subculture of "college kid?"

My kids chose adulthood, and they did it at age 16!

I have six more kids to go.

5. Karen

Karen Active Member

I am glad you have such a workable plan and that your kids are doing so well.
    I have a kid in college now, and we are doing it differently than you. He is doing well.
    I take issue with your concept that doing it differently than you is prolonging childhood.

My son has a small parttime job at school tutoring, but for the most part, school is his full-time job. And I am really glad we have the privilege for this to be so. College is a unique place that lasts a short time. There is a lot more to it in activities, service organizations, and friendships, than just going to class and leaving to go to work.

My son has worked very hard to maintain his scholarships, and he has worked very hard during breaks, including on a pig farm. :eek:
    (I wish I had had a video camera!)

Karen

6. Karen

Karen Active Member

I don't necessarily think that taking out loans for school is a terrible thing.
    I had student loans. Really low interest, ten years to pay back. It was not terrible, and we were NOT making a great deal of money.

An earlier post referred to leaving school with $40,000 of student loans. I'm not sure how this is possible as an undergraduate. Isn't there a limit of about $2500 for the freshman year, then it goes up some for each additional year?
    Most kids I have heard of recently have around $12,000 in student loans when they leave school.

My understanding is that a parent COULD end up with a large amount in parental loans. All kinds of loan programs encourage the parent to spend their house equity doing such a loan.

Karen

7. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Squire, I started the thread

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So far we have avoided college debt. Two have finshed college, on at Ambassador and one at Pensacola. They both worked to pay part of the bill and we helped with the rest.

Our third is getting ready to start. He stayed out a year and has saved a GOOD chunk of money to start school with. In fact, he could pay his first two years upfront.

God can and does provide - eight years of college and no loans - Praise the Lord.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Karen,

Sorry to imply that other ways are wrong. Primarily, I was trying to encourage kids to realize that going into debt is not necessarily "necessary."

I do think, however, that we differ on the legitimacy of extending "adolescence."

Many kids do think that college is just one big party. I'm glad you and yours don't.

However, there are many kids who don't go on to college. I they missing out?

I think the "four year" college experience is overrated and is part of the problem today with kids not being allowed to grow up.

In any event, your point is well taken. There is more than one way. So far, we are pleased with the results that our kids have achieved!

Blessings!

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every Christian should be a minister in whatever job they are at. The pay should never determine that. Sometime ask the trustees if they feel the same way about how much they pay the president of the seminary.