1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do Deaths Come in Three's?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 27, 2013.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never paid much attetnion to the old saying that deaths came in threes, but over the last ten years or so, I've noticed that this seems to be true, now that I am more cognizant of it!

Has anyone else noticed this "death in three's sequence" to be something that has merit, or is it simply coincidental?

And, if it is something you believe to be a fact, do you have any verses or theories [ theologically or scripturally], to support your theory?

2. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

1 Timothy 4:7
    7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.

That should pretty much sum it up

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the problem is...

....and I appreciate your response. The fact remains, this seems to hold true! So why? You don't see it playing out in your own life?:wavey:

4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Never put much thought into in....and even if I did it would just add up to superstition. Besides over a period of 10 years the likelyhood of 3 deaths occurring in your life is pretty high when God never promises anyone another day. Of course you can look at it mathmaticly. The likelyhood of this myth depends on the number of people you associate with and are aware of. If you only know 3 people who live in your household and believe this silly stuff you would be living under the table lol

Besides death doesn't come in 3.....there's hundreds and hundreds of deaths every day....you just aren't aware of them

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't. We just notice them more because our attention is drawn to them because of the previous death.

In case you're counting, J.J. Cale was the last celebrity to die

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

Many times, famous people die in a matter of a few days and the old "death comes in threes" adage gets dragged out. The fact is, someone in the U.S. dies every 12 seconds, on average, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Personally? In my circle of family and friends, I've never had more than one person die at a time. One reason we may think the old adage is true is that, when someone among our family or acquaintances dies, we become more cognizant of death, so we are more sensitive to the subject and more likely to pay attention when someone else dies around the same time. Still, the adage is not true. JohnnyReb's post is quite appropriate.