1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do people choose differently?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, May 20, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm asking this question of free-willers, from a free-willer perspective.

Two people are offered salvation. One chooses to trust in Jesus, the other does not. What was the differentiating factor between the two people? Why did one choose to believe, and the other choose not to?

I know this question has been asked many times, and I've asked it before, myself. But I have yet to see any straightforward answers. If I missed one, maybe you could repeat it for me.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Pride. The same reason Satan rebelled.
    Please don't bang your head. :laugh:

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Gambling.

People gamble with their lives, they drive too fast,( why was one killed and others not) they drink too much, (why did some of

them get liver desease) they eat wrong foods,( why did some get heart attacks and some don''t) they put theirselves in

positions where they may be killed,( why are some killed but others escape, why does one soldier get killed and the others

don't?) etc. and also saying to themselves I love

darkness but still don't want to be lost, so before I die I will turn to the Lord. Unfortunantly, death over takes most in their

sins before they turn to the Lord. ( some do turn before death, some do not, because we were all sinners) While I was a

sinner, I knew I was a sinner because of the Spirit that teaches man right from wrong. I wanted to live in darkness as long as

I could before turning to the Lord. One day I realized that death was closer than I thought so I began praying until the Lord

forgave me and accepted me into the fold. Thank you Lord. It is what is called "life".
    BBob

#3 Brother Bob, May 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Okay, check. Pride, self-centeredness, our sinful nature, etc -- many reasons why one person does not choose Christ.

Now, that leaves the other part, which remains unanswered. Why does someone choose to believe, and what made that person different from the one who stuck to his pride, etc?

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does a loving God send people to hell for making "mistakes" and "accidentally" selecting the wrong decision?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Accidentally?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I won't, I promise.

Can you be more specific about how that contributes to the difference between the two? For example, one person has more pride than another? The person with less pride chooses Christ and the person with more pride chooses not to trust Christ?

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

NP, I'm not sure I can answer your question. I recognized an enormous need for God and pride flew out the window at that moment. Although, prior to that time, I was in a constant state of rejection of God. But, certain things happened in my life that made me realize that I needed God because I had come to the end of myself. I turned to God in total humility and begged for mercy and the rest is history.
    PRAISE :jesus:

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

removed...........

#9 Brother Bob, May 20, 2007
  10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

removed........

#10 J.D., May 20, 2007
  11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

"I don't know" is an honest answer. It's one you should think about, though, if you really want to take a positive stance on free will. If the difference between you and an unsaved person comes down to the decisions YOU TWO made, then you should be able to answer the question: Why did you make different decisions? What was the differentiating factor between the two of you that you made the "right" one, and he/she made the "wrong" one.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Paul asked the same question, Npet. Well, almost the same.

I Cor 4:7: "For who maketh the to differ from another? and what has thou that thou didst not receive?....."

You asked, to paraphrase, when one accepts the offer of salvation and another does not, what is the differentiating factor betwen the two.

Paul asked, not what makes one different, but who makes one different from another. And he says immediately afterward that whatever we have was given to us.

I think the clue to the answer to your question lies in the wording of Paul's question.

13. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

answer right before your eyes!

Nothing like asking a question thinking it is a tough questions when it fact it backs up free will.

Why you ask....the answer is right before you! FREE WILL

:tonofbricks:

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think you'd have to ask the person who made the wrong decision. But, I would bet they would say because they don't need God, which is pride.

The fool has said in his heart, there is no God.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are humble, but they have pride. They are "fools", but you are not, right?

16. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the following describe everyone?

17. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do they have [more] pride, but you don't?

18. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Free will" describes the fact that each person makes his own distinct conscious willful decisions. It may be the effect, but it cannot adequately be the cause. Why does one "make a decision for Christ" and the other does not? Do we make choices in a vacuum? Do we just pick Christ through eeny-meeny-miny-moe, or Let's Make a Deal?

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

They beat me to it, but I'll say it, too. They pick the "wrong" answer because of pride. You pick the "right" one, why? How did you manage to pick the "right" answer in spite of your pride?

Only one person on this board has ever come close to giving an honest answer to this question (other than your "I don't know") and even though there was a lot of prevaricating about the bush (thank you Wallace and Gromit), it revealed a lot about free will. I hope someone will give a solid answer this time.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have been honest. It seems the only answer you consider to be honest is the one that agrees with you.
    I know that you want me say that I chose God not because of my own free will, but because I was one of the "elect". You want me to say that the person who rejects God did so because he was not chosen and therefore not regenerated. You want me say that God gave me the ability to chose Him, but He did not give the ability to the person that rejected Him.
    Now, if you were being honest, you would admit that.