1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why Do People Go ro Church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is Scarlett's #4 post. It is worth repeating.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and Amen!

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a list on non-negotiables that you need in a church? I think you have those, but are they personal or Biblical? Maybe you need to determine what standards you have for a church are biblical and which are just personal preferences.

I know this means a lot to you because this is a constant comment of yours (and that is NOT sarcastic).

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A pastor at a church I used to attend had a term for this--people that go to church looking for that "ecclesiastical tingle".

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all....what I can give. But if I have to do so without support, then what good is the church?

#25 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as a matter of fact I do...all are biblical.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe but all Ive experienced is " ecclesiastical neuropathy " :smilewinkgrin:

Hey....I like that ....very descriptive (involves pain & eventual deadening).....thanks

#27 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 31, 2015
  8. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Rev. Mitchell, in his post #5 on this thread hit upon something about which I've often wondered, namely whether or not a person should also include the verses in Hebrews 10 that follow Hebrews 10:25.

In my studies in Hebrews, I tend to divide this book into two main sections with commentaries under both main sections--as follows:

I. The Superiority of Christ (1:1 - 10:18)
    A. Christ is greater than the angels.
    B. Christ is greater than Moses.
    C. Christ is greater than the OT priesthood.
    D. The New Testament is greater than the
    Old Testament.

Commentary:
    The superiority of Christ over everyone
    and everything is clearly demonstrated
    by the author. Christianity supersedes
    all other religions and can never be
    surpassed. Where can one find anything
    better than Christ? Living in Christ is
    having the best there is in life. All
    competing religions are deceptions or
    cheap imitations.

II. The Superiority of Faith (10:19 - 13:25)
    Commentary: Jews who'd
    become Christians in the 1st century
    were tempted to fall back into Judaism
    because of uncertainty, the security of
    custom, and persecution.
    Today believers are also tempted to
    fall back into legalism, fulfilling
    minimum religious requirements rather
    than pressing on in genuine faith. We
    must strive to live by faith each day.

That being said, I tend to believe that when one reads Hebrews 10, he should not stop at just Hebrews 10:25 in his reading, but rather should continue on reading the verses that follow it--at least to Hebrews 10:31.

IMHO, some folks sometimes forget that the original audience of Hebrews was to, as its title states, to Hebrew [i.e., Jewish Christians]. Most scholars seem to think this 13-chapter letter was probably written before A.D. 70, less than 40 years after Christ's resurrection, and that the temple's system of sacrifices were most likely still being practiced because the temple was still standing at the time these Jewish-Christians received the letter addressed to them.

Since Christ had promised His followers in Matthew (a gospel that was primarily addressed to the Jews at that time) that He'd be with them, and Luke, in Acts 1:11, records the questions of His followers that led one to believe that they thought Christ would return to the earth, possibly in their own lifetimes, it's easy to see why the Jewish-Christians to which Hebrews was originally addressed would be inclined to not want to meet together ("as the manner of some [i.e., 1st century Jewish-Christians] is").

If you'll recall, Christ's disciples did the same thing for several days after His was crucified.

While it's been at least a good 2,500 years since Christ left this earth, here in America it seems that some folks still have, what I once heard a preacher call it, a "lone ranger" concept of Christian living and testimony. He said that some folks either choose to not even fellowship in a corporate local church service venue at all; or if they do happen to occasionally visit the services of a local church....that's ALL they will do!

Don't expect them to actually become members of that local church, because then they'd feel somewhat committed to serve in one of that local church's outreach ministries. IOW, the concept of actually being committed to that 'lone ranger's' local church is a concept that's totally foreign to that person.

This is why I firmly believe that one should read the verses immediately following Hebrews 10:25, especially 10:31, "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

9. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! I never knew anyone who didn't have some preferences that while certainly not anti Biblical were just personal preferences. Such as wanting hymns vs. Gaither music vs. contemporary.

I guess God will then absolve you from doing what He commands everyone else to do.

10. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Obviously you've haven't experienced some of the strange reasons I've had given to me from some Christians for why they choose not to attend the regularly scheduled corporate worship services of their local church.

Would you believe that one Christian lady said that she couldn't possibly attend the evening services at her church because "My favorite TV cooking show comes on at that time."

I'm sure that Christ will overlook that lady's excuses for never attending her local church's evening services for the reason she gave! :thumbs:

11. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been in f/t ministry for 35 years, so I've heard most all of them.

I always think of the story of the guy who wanted to borrow his neighbor's lawn mower. The neighbor said "NO" So he asked why? He said "Because today is Monday."

"What's Monday got to do with it?"

"Nothing, but any excuse is good enough when I really don't want to."

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in other words you do believe I'm going to hell for not going to church regularly. :smilewinkgrin:

#32 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will take your answer as sarcastic. You say you are a believer in Christ so I will take your word on it. I just think you have a convenient excuse for disobeying the Bible.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unlike me.....Id tell ya if I didn't want to go.... and I would just walk to the bathroom or out to the car if I didn't like the music. But those things don't preclude me from worship..... I worship Christ constantly. when I get up, thru my work a day, in my conversation with people, In what I read & write.

Right now I'm visiting with a PCA church in another town 20 minutes from me. Not my first choice .... Id much rather it be a Baptist Church. The jury is out as to if they will ever do anything for the community....that will take me time to evaluate.....but the new pastor told me he will put initiatives together....so for the time being, I will just wait & see. If he after a year doesn't do what he promised, that would be a deal breaker.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what Tom, I will tell you when I'm being sarcastic. That statement was not being sarcastic. Remember I was raised as a Roman Catholic.....its a mortal sin to miss church.....so my question was really, do you believe that as well....perhaps I should have been more deliberate in my wording.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh....26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Out of curiosity, how many people do you know who consciously continue to sin after they see the knowledge of the truth. And do they go to church?

Now that last bit is your opinion of course....correct? Now what if they (the local church) has been around for 40 years and doesnt have an outreach ministry? Is that a true church & should this "Lone Ranger" (using your own expression now) join up....or should they look for a church that has an outreach ministry?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything about going out to people....or is it that you have to go to them (the church)?

#38 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  19. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Bro. EW&F---

In response to your questions you asked me in your post #36, as a mortal human, there is no possible way that I can determine what another person's spiritual condition is.

I could possibly make an educated guess, but that still would only be a guess. More than likely the 11 apostles probably assumed that, prior to his betraying Christ, Judas Iscariot had about as good a spiritual relationship with Christ as they themselves did.

I don't know of any Bible verse that states that another moral human can without a doubt know what another person's real spiritual relationship with Jesus is.

All I said is that I'm not 100% positive that what was written in Hebrews 10:25 should not in context be carried on through the subsequent verses of that chapter.

Most conservative Evangelical Bible scholars have had difficulty in explaining why some of the chapter--and even some of the verse numbering were placed where they were.

Keeping in mind that the original author of the writing we call the "Book" of Hebrews had neither chapter or verse designations (both of which were added approximately 10 centuries after the canon of God's written Word ceased).

My use of the expression "Lone Ranger Christian" wasn't intended to be an indictment against any particular Christian. It's simply an expression I've heard many times in conversations with other fellow Christians.

I'm guessing that this expression probably got its start when somebody used it to describe how some Christians view the necessity of personally and physically fellowshipping with other Christians within the context of a local church with a certain degree of disdain.

While they may possibly have some reasons for not wishing to have face-to-face personal fellowship with other Christians in the context of a local church, God still commands that this kind of fellowship take place on a regular basis.

The general pattern one sees in the NT was that most all Christian fellowship in those days was done in the context of a local church. Most all of Paul's NT epistles were written to either a particular local church, or, in some cases, a group of local churches in a given region.

The same concept is noted in Revelation 1-3 where the Apostle John wrote to seven local churches in western "Asia Minor" [modern-day Turkey].

In the US (& it's probably true elsewhere), some people have the tendency to live out their Christian lives with an almost total disregard to the institute that God not only established, but also the very same institution for whom Christ died--the local, visible NT church.

The reason(s) why some people do this can vary widely, but nonetheless, IMHO, that's still a clear violation of Hebrews 10:25.

I've heard some folks say that they can live out their Christian lives and testimonies just as well as those who want to fellowship within the context of a visible local church. My response to them is that they must be much closer to the Lord than I usually find myself to be because if I were to miss a couple weeks of fellowshipping with my brothers and sisters in Christ within the context of the local church to which I belong, there's no telling how little I'd progress in my standing with God, knowing full well that I would be in open violation of what God in His Word--namely Hebrews 10:25--has commanded me to do.

IOW, I'd be fearful of falling into the hands of the Living God.

Any of you who've experienced the chastisement of God for blatantly violating one of His direct NT commands would most likely tell you the very same thing as well.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of the most contensious and sinful people i know are regular church goers....and some are in leadership positions. In church ive come face to face with pedophiles, drug pushers, con artist's, thiefs,hypocrates, blah blah blah....and most are unrepentent. There is an old song and much bad blood between me and some of these characters that wont wash....not when ive seen the damage done and continues to be done.

Even so i am prepared to go to church.....see at this point I dont give a fig about these cretins, i care about my relationship with Christ and how i can pick up the pieces of the broken (by bad religion and the fakes who use religion to their worldly advantage).