1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Do People Hate Calvinst?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know, all of the translators got it wrong :)

At any rate, it's a matter of semantics due to the fact intention has the same basic meaning of inclination or bent.

in·ten·tion (n-tnshn)
    n.
    1. A course of action that one intends to follow.
    a. An aim that guides action; an objective.
    b. intentions Purpose with respect to marriage: honorable intentions.
    3. Medicine The process by which or the manner in which a wound heals.
    4. Archaic Import; meaning.

#201 webdog, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
  2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intention and inclination or bent are not the same thing. This is clear in the Hebrew. The root ִיצר is descriptive of the plans and purposes formed in the mind (see TWOT, 396). The implication is that the mind (or heart) forms evil plans from the earliest stages of cognition. When you look at what Jesus says here
    "18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20 These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.” (Matthew 15:18-20 ESV)
    It is quite clear that Jesus would agree with Moses (Moses having written Genesis 8:21) and Moses would agree with Jesus--the heart is desperately and radically depraved. Couple this with the same word יצר being used in Genesis 6:5 "The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" and you see a crystal-clear description of human depravity being all-pervasive, original sin being hopelessly destructive, and mankind being completely stuck in sin. There is no freedom to choose in this scenario, unless, of course, God acts first to replace one's heart.

To say that it is the same as "bent" or "inclination" is to demonstrate a lack of understanding of the Hebrew itself.

As someone else said, you are running into problems here because you are using an English dictionary to define Hebrew terms. Since no translation is perfect, to find out the meaning of the word(s), one must go to the original, something you haven't done here.

Blessings,

The Archangel

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing you have said here goes against what I have said. If one is inclined to do something, it is not a done deal. This just happened in Europe where a man came into a store to hold it up. He asked her to give him the money at gunpoint. The woman was a believer and talked him out of it. He left apologizing. Was it his intention to rob the store? Yes. Did he? No, he appealed to his conscious. Was his heart bent or inclined in committing the act? Of course! Like I said, it simply a matter of semantics...and since I don't speak Hebrew or Greek, I rely on the Bible I have in English. English words have meanings as well. Nothing about the Hebrew you have given is contrary to the English understanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.