1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do so many Americans use the KJV?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by The Undiscovered Country, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He didn't. He told Joseph to name the child "Jeshua", or in English, Joshua. But we know him by the Greek word for Jeshua, which is "Iesus", known in English as Jesus.
    This past weekend, I purchased my wedding gift for my bride to be: A good quality leather NIV study bible with her married name engraved on the cover. It was about $45. Interestingly, a comparable KJV and ASV 1901, both of which are in public domain, were $50. The NASB and TLB were also $50.

That pretty much blows a hole in anyone who claims that copywritten bibles are more expensive.

2. The Undiscovered Country

You are, of course, joking here... I hope! :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]I thought it was Americans who didn't understand irony, not Canadians. :D

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Comfort & elegance of language which gives it it's cadence and seems to add power and authority.but it's mostly comfort and elegance of language.
    I have a NIV,NASB,ESV,RSV,& New Jerusalem hard copies and a whole passel of others on my computer.So it's not like I'm KJVO just preferred.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

For that reason, it is actually less of an accurate representation of scripture as it was originally given. Scripture never carried any majestic cadence and beauty when written, it was quite plain and "everyday" sounding. </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

Of course, I disagree. [​IMG]
    I have trouble believing God would inspire His words in common gutter language. (Read here "street") Understandable yes. But not the "uneducated". The Ancient Hebrews were a very educated people. So were the Greeks.
    Today, the "Educated" English speakers do not use much "street lingo" at all. I just don't see God giving His words the way so many "cemetarians" seem to believe He did.

In any case. To answer the OP. I stick to my first comments. The KJV has a certain beauty, cadence, majesty, that no other can match.
    And I think God likes it that way. Otherwise, the hundreds of other translations which have come and gone since 1611 would have replaced it loooong ago, even though they have certainly tried! :D
    In HIS service;
    Jim

(Read "replaced" as "superceded" as in KJV superceded the Geneva.)

[ January 16, 2005, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: av1611jim ]

5. The Undiscovered Country

For that reason, it is actually less of an accurate representation of scripture as it was originally given. Scripture never carried any majestic cadence and beauty when written, it was quite plain and "everyday" sounding. </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

Of course, I disagree. [​IMG]
    I have trouble believing God would inspire His words in common gutter language. (Read here "street") Understandable yes. But not the "uneducated". The Ancient Hebrews were a very educated people. So were the Greeks.
    Today, the "Educated" English speakers do not use much "street lingo" at all. I just don't see God giving His words the way so many "cemetarians" seem to believe He did.

</font>[/QUOTE]So where does God having chosen foolish things to shame the wise fit?

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Out of context and doesn't apply.

If God did not want His words to be read then we would have a purely spoken tradition. Therefore one must be educated in order to read it. Duh.

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. The Undiscovered Country

Some here seem to be going beyond simply an ablity to read to one arguing for leaders to have master's degrees. There is a huge difference between the two.

8. The Undiscovered Country

Please ignore the above. I've replied to the wrong thread! [​IMG]

9. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's extremely bad news for all those who don't speak English and all those who died before 1611...which would mean that God Didn't Get It Right :eek:

Yours in Christ

Matt