1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do some Christian Churches Celebrate Halloween???

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

One, I am not taking personally the quote is part of larger body in which I was citing instances where Jesus condemned hypocrisy in order to point out he is not condemning those who dress up or act, but to condemn those who put on the false aires of righteousness.

But neither is it condemned.

Well you came close to actually getting it.

So contrary to other things you have said you are condemning those of us who believe otherwise. At no point does God ever condemn acting. It just isn't there. Yes, hypocrite can mean actor but the context in which a word is used drives its meaning and in no case did Jesus ever use the word hypocrite in such a way as to refer to somebody who has dressed up to play a part or act in a play. He always used the word to refer to somebody who seeks to deceive concerning righteousness. Therefore, you are in no place to call it wrong to dress up or act. You can't do it and still remain true to what God is saying.

BTW, all who are decrying being a theologian - anybody who has ever studied the word of God or thought about God is a theologian. Like it or not it means everybody on this board is a theologian. The question is are they a good theologian.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm - I think Jesus spoke in cunningly devised fables and called them parables.

FYI - my son finally understood the sacrifice that Christ had to make and why when he saw the Chronicles last year. It opened a great discussion and he came to a knowledge of his Savior then. So, what kind of damage is that??

Ann

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

For me this is not personal. I am not condemning you. I am rebuking what I believe to be sin. Are we to stand by and say 11 year olds dressing up as Playboy Bunnies is alright because we fear someone might think we're condemning them? Everybody was on board with that, why was it alright? Yet when some say, dressing up as a vampire, witch or sorcerer is bad and or pretending to be anything you are not is bad, well apparently that starts to strike too close to our own lives, and the response becomes "don't condemn me". Well you don't answer to me and I don't answer to you but one day both of us will answer to the one with authority over these matters. If you feel that Jesus Christ will say well done on having your child dress up for satan's holy day, then by all means proceed. For me, I don't think he's going to say that and I don't think he'd like it if I didn't warn others.

Agree, my response to the Webdog was in error and was directed towards the contemporary use of the term rather than the actual meaning.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

There is this saying which goes like:

Celebrating halloween as a christian is like celebrating Hitler's birthday as a jew.

I think this sums it up.
    I would rather buy my children candies and have them safe at home than allowing them to ring on doors and getting candies from strangers. After all you don't even know what's in those candies. How do you want to know that some sicko didn't inject poison into a candy bar? Do you check the wrapper for small tiny holes?
    I really wouldn't eat stuff which I got from strange people.
    And I also don't think that a christian should dress up and go from house to house. I think we don't understand how serious this is. Halloween isn't a happy day, it's a day where satanists sacrifice people. I bet that God doesn't like this day and christians should take this at least a bit serious.