1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do the lost attend church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Aug 29, 2007.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I was talking with my aunt recently, and I was telling her that most people who attend church are not Christians. She was astounded that I would claim this. She said, "Why would people who aren't Christian want to attend a Christian worship service?"

I thought it was a great question, so here it is.

Why do the lost attend church?

2. standingfirminChrist

Some are wolves sent in to scatter the sheep.

Some believe good works will promise them escape from hell.

Some are seeking the truth.

Some are just pew warmers.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How did come to the conclusion that most people who attend church aren't Christians?

4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I asked that very question to the lady who led me to the Lord in 1974. Being from a Reform Jewish background, I thought only Gentiles (I was of the belief that all Gentiles were Christians) went to church and Jewish people went to temple. I asked the question this way: "If not all Gentiles are Christians, why do they go to church??" She responded: "They go to church to warm the pews!" I thought, "What an interesting concept!":smilewinkgrin:

#4 Linda64, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I think that is an excellent question. I am sure there is a social reason for lost people to attend church. Back in the 60's and before, it was part of the social structure of the community.

From my perspective, I cannot understand the reason. A lost person has no interest in spiritual things, and I would think could find better things to do with his or her time, from a worldly standpoint. You would think instead of getting entertained at church with sermons and studies that make no sense to the lost person, they would be out Sunday on the lake or fishing.

It is good that lost people are at church, because God uses this to bring them to salvation. Also, there is another small lost group that goes to church just to cause trouble within the congregation.

I think an evidence of salvation is a desire to go to the local church with an eagerness to hear the Word and fellowship with other Christians. It is not a social club.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm not sure that all lost people know that they are lost. Not that churches are preaching the message, but their spiritual ears aren't hearing what is being preached. Their hearts are hard. I had to take an imitrex and my brain is fuzzy -- what were the Israelites called in Exodus? Stiff-necked? They've been playing a game so long, they don't even know it's a game anymore.

They go out of habit. They go to see their friends. They go for the socialization.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We know this group well, don't we.

BUT I'd not ever thought of them as lost mmmmmmm

8. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Here's some things that come to mind...
    • Free rock concerts
    • Free coffee & donuts
    • Hot chicks
    • Feels good to be pious

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Hot Chicks?

Rufus!

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You disagree?

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that there are two groups of lost people who come to church.

There are lost people who know they are lost who come out of:
    • habit
    • guilt
    • Christmas and Easter
    • to see children/grandchildren sing
    • to "appear" righteous
    • and all the other reaons that have been mentioned.
    Then again, there are lost people who faithfully attend church and participate in the work of the church who have absolutely no clue that they are lost.

They walked an aisle, said a prayer, and got dunked. But they never were changed into a new creature...

....and they are going straight to hell.

God forbid that we should grease the way for them by ignoring their spiritual need for fear of offending them.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Following my own rule never to judge someone's salvation, I will say I am 99% sure they are lost. Divisions over silly issues such as a building project and split and destroy a church if evil people are pushing the right buttons. Guiding a church through controvesial issues and remain unified is impossible with God's grace, even without the troublemakers.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

You are right Scarlett. When I mentioned before that I wasn't sure that all lost folks knew they were lost, I'm sure there are plenty who do know they are . . .

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'd never given it a thought one way or another -- just a royal thorn in the old side (or royal pain in the toukas ;) ). Sometimes they are completely impossibly immovable, sometimes they are movable if only by inches.

Toukas, btw, is not on my spellcheck.

#14 mcdirector, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I must be going to the wrong church.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I believe that all lost people do know they are lost, or else how could they be held accountable for their sins. There is a travial for the lost to the saved and I can only speak of my own experience. I knew I was lost and become concerned about my soul and being lost. I knew that death was coming and if I died that way, then I could not go to Heaven. I went to church to find out more about Jesus and how could I be saved. It took me some time before I was willing to give up everything of the world and serve Jesus but the time did come with tears, I cried Lord if its your will that I die a natural death, let it be so, but save my dying soul. My heart was completely broken and then I felt the Lord, and a soft voice speak to me that I could come home. I came home and have never found any place to turn back. I am on my way to Heaven with the Lord right with me. Bless my Lord and thank you again for saving my dying soul.

BBob,

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Because it is the respectable thing to do.

Cause Mama made 'em and they never got out of the habit.

Because deep down all humans have the idea that if they are just good enough, they'll make it to heaven and going to church proves they are good. Right???

Because you can't get elected in the south if you don't have a church affliation.

Rufus! Silly thing. Of course the last time I was approached it was at church. I'd not worn my wedding band because my hands were a bit swollen for a few weeks. At least he was a gentleman and asked first if I was married, but he was obviously on the wife hunt! :laugh: (and I better not find I was described as a "hot" chick!)

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure the women in your church would like to hear that :D

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm sure the women in the right church are glad to hear it too.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, since the original comment came from an angry beaver . . .

I'm sure the hot chicks may well be wondering where the good looking guys are too :tongue3: