1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do the lost attend church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by christianyouth, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, if they are waiting at the front door for 10 percent, I doubt if a sinner would go either. But, if you have a troubled soul, you are looking for help, from someone other than father or mother or neighbor. We have heard of this person called "God," and who do people run to when in trouble. Also, when you are in trouble, it does not sound like insanity, it is sweet to the ear. You ever hear of the sower who sowed the seed?

To me, being saved is not like turning a switch on or off, how could you attach yourself to something you know nothing about?

Maybe we are different, we do not ask for the 10 percent, we don't asked nothing from the unsaved, except to conduct themselves as being in the "house of God".

Show me a church house where all are saved? I haven't seen one yet.

#61 Brother Bob, Aug 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

BB,
    I agree, that all churches have them. All I am saying is that if I were not saved, I would not use the church as a social club. No, our church does not ask for 10%. I believe it is Biblical, and give for that reason. (Please folks, this is not a tithing thread)

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I know you would always conduct yourself as a Christian Saturneptune, I got that much confidence in you for sure.

4. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Are you saying that Christians should not invite their lost friends and neighbors to church? That the church is only for those who belong to the club? How did they originally become part of the church?

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Perhaps you can enlarge on this here. I didn't see him say that. Did you?

Again, I haven't seen this anywhere. Where did you see it?

By getting saved.

The question here being addressed is the purpose of the church services. Does the church gather for worship, evangelism, or what? Have you ever thought through what the Bible says about this?

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If by church you mean the worship services, then they are exclusively for believers. Lost people are always welcome, but they cannot truly participate in a service of true worship. Their presence is incidental. Worship services should not necessarily be geared to the lost. In fact, doing so is a disservice to the believers, who are short-changed in the process.

That said, if the gospel is preached, it is to their benefit. The Holy Spirit can use even our worship to convict of sin and draw lost people to repentance and faith.

Reach out to the lost, yes. But don't always equate such reaching out with inviting them to church. Every evangelistic sermon recorded in the NT was outside the walls of the church and not a single one of them was in the context of a worship service.

8. jimc06

jimc06 New Member

Certainly not, if they feel that will be a good way for them to hear the Gospel; that may be one of the many reasons a lost person would come. However, the Christians should also talk to their lost friends themselves, too.

jimc06

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Church service exclusively for believers? Go out, but don't allow in? No wonder why churches are getting smaller! All the believers are dying out, and there is no one to take their place! And what's the point of having an invitation at the end of the service, or baptisms, if everyone there has already been saved? Gods Word is for everybody! I don't care if the person is there for the free doughnuts, to meet a potential mate, to get out of the rain...sooner or later something said or done during services will strike a chord in them. If the service seems to watered down, that is the fault of the church, not the lost.

love,

Sopranette

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

No one suggested that the lost should not be let in. However, what goes on in the worship service is not to be driven by the lost but only the body of Christ. and the alter call should be primarily for the Saints. Anyhow most churches have a good protion of people who are convinced they are saved but are in fact lost.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What else is there to preach except the Gospel. At least a third of our congregation or more is the unsaved and we do what Jesus said to do, "preach the Gospel to every Creature".
    You say look at the scripture to see what a church is supposed to do. Well, lets take the day of Pentecost, when it was noised about, they came from every kindred, tongue and nation to see what was taking place in the Church.
    All across this country, I see on every Church front "Welcome", do they really mean it or is it just words. If your church building could feed the sheep and reach the unsaved, why on earth would anyone say there was something wrong with that. I don't think the Lord would be pleased with such a message.

How can the unsaved drive the services, if you are preaching the Gospel. I don't get it!! Altar call for the saints. Why do they need saved again????

Isa 55:11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.

Act 2:47Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

We preach the Gospel and let God do the saving. He knows whose heart needs what.

#71 Brother Bob, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2007
  12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

The alter call in our church is about worship not just about salvation. It is a time of bowing before God and worshiping in reverence. It is about bowing before God and answering the Holy Ghost conviction of a need to respond to the teaching in the message. It is all about worship. There was a time when the alter was for Saints and sinners both. Today the worship in our churches has become watered down in the name of evangelism.

I was once told " stop preaching about all that stuff you aren't going to change anybody. Just preach the Great Commission."

This is the attitude in a great many of our churches today. Preachers should have something for everyone in the message. Saints, sinners, mature and immature but always Christ centered. The worship service should consist of praise, preaching, prayer, and prostration.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I think if we preach this we will be preaching to all, both saint and sinner. I just preach, I don't try to do the sending myself but leave that up to God. Whatever the Lord gives me, I preach to the congregation.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I am curious if you think that Paul never taught any other doctrine other than the cross?

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The main "sticking point" with me in regards to alter calls is that I don't believe in all the begging that goes on. I think a lot of the times someone goes to the altar to pray is because they are convicted by man, and not God. That being said, sinners need to be "incorporated " into the services in the sense that they need to hear the gospel preached to them. I know they can't truly get the blessings that the flock gets, but it takes the WORD to convict their dying souls, or they will die lost. If we proclaim Jesus and they die lost, their blood won't be on our hands if they do die lost.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Not after he was born again. I take him at his word and every thing Paul preached to the Gentile is based upon the cross. Do you believe he preached another doctrine? He did verify some things to those under the Law, but as I have said several times on here, in Paul's day, there were a mixed crowd. Those under the law and those under Grace.

1Cr 2:2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

How do you suppose the congregation is supposed to grow to maturity without doctrine?

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

All the doctrine stands or falls on the doctrine of the Cross? You believe that don't you?

If God raised not His Son from the dead then we all are still in our sins, and our faith is in vain.

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Of course but that doesn't answer my question. But what doctrines do you not preach? Do you preach:

1. Hell

2. heaven

3. repentence

4. sanctification

5. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost

Are there doctrines you refuse to teach from the pulpit? I am like Spurgeon in that I take any doctrine of scripture and make a beeline for the cross each and every time. But in the end doctrine is preached.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Why do the lost go to church?

Lets' see what Paul told the Romans in Romans 10:14-17

10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they they believe in Him they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

10:15 And how shall they preach except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel, For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I think Paul was talking to the "lost" people of Rome. It takes the Word of God to strengthen the faith of the sinners to believe in the COMPLETE work of what Jesus Christ did at the cross!!