1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do we have ordinations and thus, Ordination services?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, May 26, 2014.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Seriously, why is it important, short of recognition by the state to marry couples?

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    B/c the Bible says.... in 2 Coronas 3.... oh n/m

I'm not a huge fan of the system. Especially when you can pay money on the net and get "ordained".

But the church essentially ordains a pastor or elder to ministry when they call him. The Baptist version of the council seems awfully unbaptist since most of those guys aren't part of that local church.

It is also a focus on pet doctrines, systematic theology as opposed to biblical theology (letter the reader understand the difference in disciplines), and proof-texting. The real test is in actual ministry, not the "stump the chump" grill session of the council.

Question, what do you do when your pastor has never been ordained and has a PhD in theology from a top tier institution? I'm not grilling him. I'm learning from him.

#2 Greektim, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because it is the NT model of elevating leadership for the care of God's people and the proclamation of God's Word. :)

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Council only gives a recommendation - which the church may accept or reject.

Sure 99.9% of the time the church will accept the recommendations of the council.....

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the church knows next to nothing of what is going on.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here's Mark 3:14 (KJV)
    Other versions use appointed instead of ordained.

In my view, it means simply to set apart for specific service.

We Baptists have historically ordained mean who are called to be pastors. Churches also set apart men to serve as deacons. Ordination has also historically a function of local churches.

When a man believes God has called him to preach, a church will usually "license" him to preach in recognition of his call. When he is called to pastor a church, the same church will ordain him.

7. Servent

Servent Member

Does one have to be ordained to perform a marriage or just licensed.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think it depends on the state. My cousin went ahead and got a license to marry so he could marry his brother and his brother's boyfriend. He is certainly not a pastor.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As far as I know ordinations are sponsored by the local church. Other pastors are invited. They question the candidate as to his knowledge of the Bible, and perhaps Baptist polity and Baptist distinctives. It has nothing to do with the state. It is God's people recognizing God's call upon God's man to the ministry.
    Registration from the government comes after that.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IN New York State - if you are the leader of a religious organization - you may marry a couple - even if you are NOT ordained

Click here for link on US Marriage Laws