1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do we treat the survivors like they are stupid?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Sep 16, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I'm watching survivors get herded like sheep.
    They are told what to eat. Where to sleep. When to go to bed. What do during the day.

Now we are telling them, and other Americans, what they "need."

And I know that as an adult, I would be infuriated.

These are intelligent, thinking, American adults.

Why are we treating them like children?

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

they were told to leave N.O. and they did not. maybe just precaution.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

One of them was on ABC's morning show wanting to know why no one was finding him a job and a place to live. Sounds less than smart to me ... Where did he get the idea it was the government's job to find him a job? I hope he was in the minority. I haven't seen a lot of people being treated as if they were stupid.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

many of this country think that the Gov. is going to bail them out of any mess.

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

but when their gov. says things like this:

Governor Says...
    Friday, September 16, 2005
    By Brit Hume

In her address Wednesday night, Louisiana Democratic Governor Kathleen Blanco (search) said, “…in order to rebuild this state, ALL levels of government must work together, as never before, with one purpose — the well-being of our people." Then she said, "I have asked the federal government to cover 100 percent of what Louisiana will spend on this disaster."

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If no one was "herding" the people into shelters and giving them food and clothes, then everyone would be saying, "Why isn't the gov't doing something for these people?"

I don't think anyone is telling them what they need. They are giving them basic needs. I read today that they might also give them free cell phones.

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I did hear one of the first priorities was to get them internet connections. this was when they had first got to the shelters. mentioned even before food.

8. here now

here now Member

When you have so many people (strangers) living together there has to be someone in charge....there has to be rules, organization or there would be c-h-a-o-s....maybe similar to the superdome or the convention center.

9. here now

here now Member

This was probably to locate missing loved ones.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

TS---one thing we need to remind ourselves of is this---those people being "herded" into groups were under what would probably be considered---traumatic stress disorder----what the military would call "Shell shock"----IOW---under the conditions they were subject to---they probably cannot respond on their own---IOW---they have to be "told" what to do---and how to do it---they have to be "ordered" in order to respond to even basic needs----they probably had to be "herded"---or orderly contained---to keep themselves from "runnin' off"----you contain their bodies---even putting them "behind barbed wire" for the moment----give them time to gather their senses and bearings----then feed them and water them---and pretty soon---order can be restored!!!

I seriously doubt---given the setting---if anyone would even be "thinking" of being inferior after being "told" to drink water--or "that way to the bathroom" or "Sandwiches at noon"----its about the only way to restore some sense of order to a mind that has been "scrambled" by a hurricane and flood!!!

Give you an example of tramatic stress syndrome----last week---we had a neighbor's house to burn---the husband/wife were watched carefully---TOLD when it was safe to go inside----TOLD to drink water----TOLD what the Chief was doing---TOLD to sit and wait---TOLD to find another place to sleep the night!!!

Give you another case in point---some time ago---I witnessed a automobile accident---and got on a cell phone to dial 911----now---I ain't stupid---but I sure did "fumble around" for a moment---and it took the 911 operator to "settle me down" until I could tell HER(bear down on that) where the wreck was---and if anyone was injured--etc.---then once I got my "bearings" after just "witnessing" the accident---I was able to help restore "order" to those involved in each vehicle!!! I was the one telling them---SIT over here----PUT this rag over that cut---Stand AWAY from the roadside!

See???

Given the same scenerio---YOU would have to be TOLD/ORDERED in the same way---see??? Given the same scenerio---probably even Albert Einstein would have to be told what to do!! And he wasn't stupid!!

Personally---I see nothing going on between the solders telling the people what to do and when to do it---that would render anything "inhuman"---most likely---what is being done is the only way (1) to restore order to something that has had no order for over 2 weeks and (2) to return "function" to people who have been "functionless" for the same time period!!!

Bro. David

[ September 16, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

11. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I heard on the news today that some were using their free bank cards on strip clubs and booze.

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

That doesn't surprise me.

13. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

quote:

In her address Wednesday night, Louisiana Democratic Governor Kathleen Blanco (search) said, “…in order to rebuild this state, ALL levels of government must work together, as never before, with one purpose — the well-being of our people." Then she said, "I have asked the federal government to cover 100 percent of what Louisiana will spend on this disaster."

If they weren't trying to rebuild a city in a bowl below sea level, their spending would be significantly lower. :rolleyes:

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's almost comical how that one hurricane can turn so many people in to absolute overnight experts in history, geography, policital science, psychology, and sociology.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Says one native Louisianian to one resident Louisianaian

Would you care to elaborate on that comment???

16. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, unemployment pay, food, shelter, water, 2 grand charge card, free property, extended benefits later (what that means mr. bush is scary to me), 600 a month housing allowance, 5 grand to help find me a job. Uuuuuuuuu where do I sign up to get told what to do and where to go.

This is the biggest government give away in history, I'd guess and we aren't doing enough to hear the media's spin on it.

It will surprise me if we don't rebuild the houses as well - liberals are already talking about it.

17. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apparantly a number of people all over do not have flood insurance included on their regular home insurance, so it could well be that many people will be left with whatever their land value is, less the cost of the demolition.

How many here have flood insurance on their homes? If we do not, should we assist them to rebuild homes knowing that if the situations were reversed, we would be in alot of trouble?

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Blackbird...I was not insinuating anything about your post. You made much sense. Don't don't get your feathers in a ruffle! Ha!

My church has taken in about 25 people and we have to tell them what to do....everyday. We have to tell them when to eat, how to get to the housing authorities and the like.

I counseled with one women yesterday who was worried sick about her bills. She has so many things to worry about that it didn't dawn on her to call the people to whom she owes money and explain her situation and ask for an extension.

That's what I mean by telling them what to do.

If BB people are not here with our people, that may seem like we are treating them as if they are stupid....but if people on the BB are not here, then....well, they are just not here and can't make that judgment call.

Just based on observations from the past few weeks on the BB....

So many people who don't even live here seem to suddenly know EVERYTHING about New Orleans history, geography, city politics, and city management.

There seem to be so many policital scientists here who can explain EXACTLY what happened between Nagin, Blanco, Bush, and other pertinent politicians.

I guess I just get tired of coming to the BB and hearing so many people spout off their infinite wisdom as to what when wrong and exactly how to solve the problem.

Conjecture is fine. Speculation is fine. Debate is fine.

But declaring to know it all is not.

This thread is not the primary example of what I am talking about, but it is one example.

Just tired of arm-chair experts.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

19. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I could not agree more, that aspect of this whole thing has really saddened me. It is so easy for those of us who do not live in this area to act like we know exactly what is to be done and how it should be done. Therefore, I have tried to keep silent on the whole issue in that regard. I keep the situation in prayer and I am taking my church on a mission trip to help a church in MS.

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Just this past week our church releaved a sister church who was houseing New Orleans refugees---we cooked several hundred individual meals for those people

While I was there in that makeshift housing I "got ta" talking with a New Orleans man and had an opportunity to lead him to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ---the following Sunday the same man went to another "Sister" church and made a public profession of faith!!!

For years and years---missionaries and preachers have traveled into New Orleans to spread the gospel---well---now God has "scattered" New Olreans to Mississippi's "backyard"---and we have the greatest opportunity to spread the gospel than we've had in a long time!!!!

Bro. David