1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does a business outsource overseas?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread the following statement was made:
    " Pastoring is work, no doubt. But it isn't the same type of stress trying to keep a job in an age of outsourcing of jobs overseas, people losing employment through no fault of their own, making mortgage payments (which pastors with parsonages don't deal with either), and having health coverage tied to tenuous jobs. "

I contend it is always easy to look at an issue from only one side.
    For the record, I am currently employed full time {with no fringe benefits}as a livery (kinda like a taxi) driver - {most of my customers do not pay as they are riding on one of various government programs} I also pastor a small church. In the past year my only compensation has been $20 for transporation - I am supposed to receive that $20 per month but I have received it only one time. {not complaining - just a statement of fact} And I have all the stress that goes with it.
    I have also owned a business in the past. I went out of business in part due to the unreasonable demands of one employee.

Now with that all said - it is easy to complain about big business, but do you know all the facts. Mind you I am not blindly giving them a pass, but I want to be fair on both sides.

In the OP it was stated "stress trying to keep a job ... outsourcing of jobs overseas, people losing employment through no fault of their own,...

When employees DEMAND excessive salary and benefits - especially Thur unions - then it is their fault. Do you realize how much tax an employer MUST pay on your behalf (this is in addition to what is taken out of your pay) - Their half of FICA, workers comp, unemployment. We often hear how much a business makes, but first ask is that gross or net. You might change you opinions a bit it you had to sit down with the CFO and see how much the business must pay out just to stay in business.
    Its funny, we always want to find the cheapest item to buy, and often it is made overseas, but we demand that Americans buy the product that we personally make. Along with that, we tell Americans NOT to buy foreign made products, but if we really believe that, then we do not want foreign nations to buy American products.
    I wont even get into some of the ridiculous regulations and paperwork/files that a business must comply with. Just in employing someone; how many forms must a person fill out. It is a bit ridiculous.

Finally, if you think that a business takes advantage of you, I would recommend you start your own business.

Comments?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Unions are the ONLY way to keep jobs going off shore, at least until the middle class is substantially destroyed and the American working class standardized is equalized with the Chinese/Indian working class standard of living.