1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does faith+works=not saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A question which puzzles me: why is it that some here assert that because Catholics believe that salvation is through faith and works (whatever those terms mean ;) ) that that means they are not saved. Surely if they have saving faith, then that is enough? It matters not if they also believe in works; that does not negate or detract from that saving faith, otherwise that faith is not sufficient for salvation.

So, which is it: is faith alone sufficient for salvation - in which case then who cares from a soteriological POV whether some folks who have that faith also believe that has to be worked at; or does believing that some kind of works are necessary in addition to having that faith somehow fatally negate that faith, in which case faith is insufficient for salvation?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you believe that faith + works is necessary for salvation, it is no longer faith but works only. If I believe I am saved by faith and a bunch of works, faith becomes just part of the works. It's like multiplication. Anything times 0 equals 0. Works is the "0".

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But if an individual actually has that faith, then surely s/he is saved regardless?

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Why?

Because Almighty God condemns that false gospel in the book of Galaciens.

He places his curse upon it.

btw, its only those Catholics who are trusting the Catholic gospel of faith plus works who arent saved. Just like an evagelical or pentecostal trusing in faith plus works isnt saved.

Any Catholic resting in faith alone is saved.

Gotta leave for work, be back later...

Mike

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I see. So it isn'tenough to have that saving faith, you have to actually be 'resting' in it as well. Sounds like a work to me...

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would make entirely too much logical sense, now wouldn't it?

If faith alone = salvation then
    faith + works should = salvation + works

But then we couldn't have Catholics be saved now could we? ;)

7. mman

mman New Member

I think what you'll find is much inconsistency among the answers.

What is faith?

Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days.

My question to all, Did the walls of Jericho fall by belief only or because of works?

If one were to answer belief only and no works were required, then they didn't have to march around the city for 7 days. Yet the walls didn't fall down until they were obedient.

If one answers by works only, then it was because of merit and God owed it to them. We could perform those same actions today and God would owe it to us also.

No, the walls fell by faith. God told them what to do, they did it (they didn't earn anything) and God caused the walls to come down. Now that is biblical faith.

Notice in Joshua 6:1-2, "Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in. And the LORD said to Joshua: “See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor.

God gave them a gift. They didn't earn that gift, else it wouldn't have been a gift. God gave them Jericho. Now was there any action required for them to receive that gift? Any action on their part is summed up in the simple statement "by faith".

Doing what God said is biblical faith.

8. riverm

riverm New Member

I think what you'll find is much inconsistency among the answers.

What is faith?

Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days.

My question to all, Did the walls of Jericho fall by belief only or because of works?

If one were to answer belief only and no works were required, then they didn't have to march around the city for 7 days. Yet the walls didn't fall down until they were obedient.

If one answers by works only, then it was because of merit and God owed it to them. We could perform those same actions today and God would owe it to us also.

No, the walls fell by faith. God told them what to do, they did it (they didn't earn anything) and God caused the walls to come down. Now that is biblical faith.

Notice in Joshua 6:1-2, "Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in. And the LORD said to Joshua: “See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor.

God gave them a gift. They didn't earn that gift, else it wouldn't have been a gift. God gave them Jericho. Now was there any action required for them to receive that gift? Any action on their part is summed up in the simple statement "by faith".

Doing what God said is biblical faith.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Better yet, how about Noah? Noah I’m sure had faith that God would spare him and his family, but Noah still had to build an Ark…

9. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I've heard it said this way.... We must place our faith in Christ and in Him alone if I also believe that my works are going to get me to Heaven then I'm not trusting in Christ alone for my salvation.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

but if you take salvation squared minus the product of faith squared times works,

do you have the square root of a seventh-day adventist?

Now, after that bit of silliness, back to regular programming...

11. Tazman

Tazman New Member

John Chapter 8
    Did these Jew's not believe? No they believed that Jesus was who he said he was earlier in the passage, but if they "REALLY" wanted to be HIS disciples then would they ONLY need to "Just believe"? Nope. They already done that. They must "HOLD TO HIS TEACHINGS" to be set free from sin.

This is true Faith when you obey Him. Not "Works" with regard to the Mosaic law, but Faith according to Jesus.

12. Jacob Dahlen

Jacob Dahlen New Member

faith without works is dead....

13. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

While we can't earn our way to Heaven, God does expect us to do good works: For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is God's gift. It is not by works, so that no one may boast; for you are His handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God previously prepared for us so that we should live in them. Ephesians 2:8-10 Modern Language Bible aka New Berkeley Version.

14. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you can find this throughout Christianity in many different forms.

For example, you will find those will say you to believe plus you have to be baptized. Even if some who will say you have to be baptized a certain way and some in the name of Jesus only (rather than Father, Son & Holy Spirit).

Are these good folks not Christians too? After all, they are adding something to their faith.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

James talks about faith by itself is not a saving faith but rather an empty creedal faith. Faith which is a genuine saving faith is accompanied by actions which are the proof of their faith. Faith without works is dead. The Jews held that their faith was in the shema and that they were God's people. Tey did not have agenuine saving faith in Chirst but their faith was in the pages of the OT. James teachesd that a genuine saving faith is dynamic and written in the hearts of men. James teaches that a genuine saving faith is clearly demonstrated in works which accompany faith. Faith by itself is not faith. Faith in the NT is a verb not a static head knowledge. A genuine saving faith is dynamic. Works come as a result of a genuine saving faith in Jesus Christ. Faith does not come as a result of works.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

When you add works to faith, you change the gospel, and are preaching ' a different gospel' that is to be rejected as untrue according to scripture. God told us how He saces, and thats how He does it, works are not part of it. It's His way or not at all.

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt Black,

I said...

And you said...

Only someone mired in the confusion and contraditions of Rome could possibly find "doing works" in the word "resting". How desperate one must be to find some saving works to trust in.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a Catholic recently. I brought up the publican in the Temple who, in contrast to the Pharisee who had lots of works he was trusting in, said...

Faith alone. And Christ clearly said he was justified.

"God be merciful to me a sinner" = Justified

This dear Catholic I was speaking with actually spent several minutes desperatly inventing all of the supposed *good works* that the publican was actually doing!

Same thing when I brought up the thief on the cross. He of course said...

Again...faith alone. And Christ accepted him on that basis and said he would be with Him in paradise that day.

"Lord, remember me" = Justified

And again, the incredible confusion just poured forth as this dear one tried to explain to me all the *good works* this man actually did!

Its just so very sad. Its almost beyond comprehension how said it is.

But the thing is...it must happen. The Catholic Church absolutly MUST go to whatever ridiculous and absurd lenghths are necesarry to refute Gods gospel of justification through faith alone, so as to continue the perpetuation of their gospel that will not save anyone.

Justification through faith plus works.

The very false gospel that Almighty God curses in Galaciens.

Its so much more than just the mangling and twisting of the "justified by works" passages in James. Its the mangling of Romans, Ephesians, Galaciens, Hebrews, the words of Christ, etc etc etc.

It so very very sad.

Mike

18. mman

mman New Member

Actually, when you take works out of faith, you change it.

Faith includes works, else it is dead and useless according to James.

The bible says the walls of Jericho fell by faith. Use your definition of faith and explain that to me. -- Thanks

19. mman

mman New Member

Actually baptism is water is by faith. Have you not read, "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." - Gal 3:26-27

I could make your same comparison to confession.
    For example, you will find those will say you to believe plus you have to confess. Even if some who will say you confess in a certain way or say a sinners prayer.

Do you accuse anyone who says you must confess as adding something to their faith?

How about repentance? Is belief without repentance acceptable.

John 12:42, "Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue;".

I guess these guys were good to go because they added NOTHING to their belief.

Please use your definition of faith and explain how the walls of Jericho fell. The bible clearly says the walls fell by faith. Using the bible's definition, it is easy, but using your definition, it can't be done!

20. Tazman

Tazman New Member

How is a faithful baptism adding to the gospel of Christ? :confused:

Does Christ ever teach you that baptism is a "Work"?
    :confused: