1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does God hate sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Plain Old Bill, May 17, 2007.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

That seems like a simple question until some things come to mind, like the ten commandments,when we are told to love one another and to love our enemies.I know God is perfect holiness and cannot tolerate sin but I think it goes way deeper then that. What think you all?:godisgood:

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't get your question. Are you wondering why we are told to love our enemies but God hates his enemies? If so, my answer would be "Because he's God and we're not."

3. Plain Old Bill

No that's not the question.I think God gave us the ten commandments for more than showing us what sinners we are. I think the ten commandments were given to show and guide us into a good relationship with God and man.In addition I think we are told to love one another so we might live good and happy lives.:godisgood:

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God hates sin the same way you would hate
    a wild dog in the backyard chasing your children.

5. Plain Old Bill

I'm understanding the what. the question is why?:godisgood:

6. AAA

AAA New Member

Do you think that GOD hates sin, because it opposses HIS nature?........

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

God hates sin because sin, at it's core, is an attempt to dethrone God. That's why God is so offended by idolatry. He is the only God, the sovereign of the universe, and the only one who is worthy of our worship and service.

When we sin, first and foremost, we are serving ourselves rather than God. Every sin, even the sins we commit against our neighbour, are in that sense grounded in idolatry—the service and worship of ourselves instead of the worship and service of God.

When David sinned with Bathsheba, he says, "Against thee only have I sinned." When you look at it from our viewpoint, it doesn't necessarily seem this way. David had sinned against
    • Bathsheba (whom he lusted after and had an illicit affair with)
    • Uriah (whose wife he stole and whom he had killed)
    • Joab (the commander of the army who he gave sinful orders to)
    • The whole nation of Israel.
    But right at the heart of it, David had served himself and his lusts rather worshipping and serving God alone, and in that sense, his sin was at the deepest level against God himself. It was defying the God who made him.

#7 russell55, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  8. Plain Old Bill

Everybody has been correct so far. I'm thinking there are many other sides to it. How does this read to you? If we were to live a life( not in the sense that Christ did)free from sin would'nt our relationship with God be better and would'nt our relationships with other people be better.Would'nt we be happier more content people?If we were to follow God's dietary laws would'nt we be healthier? If we treated our spouses like God tells us to would'nt our marriages be better?

When we sin we not only sin against God, we sin against ourselves and others as well. One sin affects so many in a negative way.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that God hates sin because sin breaks His fellowship with His creation. Even plants and animals are affected because of sin.

• Lucifer sinned and was cast from God's presence and took one-third of the angels with him.
    • Adam sinned and even the ground was cursed.
    • Noah's generation sinned greatly and the whole planet was wiped clean of life.
    We can't be in fellowship with God if we have unconfessed sin in our lives and sin in general breaks all of creation's fellowship with God.

God created everything for His pleasure, so the book of Revelation says. His pleasure includes a relationship of some kind with all of His creation.

Human beings are to fellowship with God by serving Him and loving Him.

Jesus said in John 8:34 that whoever sins is a servant to sin. You can't serve God and serve sin. Broken fellowship.

Paul said in Romans 6:16 that whomever you obey, that's whom you serve. Even if it's sin and death. Broken fellowship.

I think that God hates sin so much because He loves His creation VERY much, even to the point of offering humanity a chance to be co-heirs with Christ. And sin robs people of a holy fellowship with God, and robs some people of the future joys of heaven.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You sure you're from Louisiana? This sounds just like what my pastor in Missouri preached every sunday. And I mean EVERY sunday. Gosh I recall how much the women in that area loved him and hung on his every word, even if they'd heard the same words in a different order 102 times before that year. And every sunday evening he'd gather together only the women (I'm not sure if they were the only ones invited, just the only ones who attended, save one or two husbands who were there because they were handcuffed), and he'd pull out his guitar and they'd all sing and cry along with praise and worship songs for an hour, with a 1 minute break to preach the same message again. I even went to the sunday evening meetings once or twice, myself, but I survived, thanks to metformin.

Ah, those were the days.

#10 npetreley, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the answer to why God hates sin, is it has no part of who He is, His nature, and His holiness.

This would be like asking me why I hate having prickers sticking into my body. They don't belong.

12. Anabaptist Preacher

Anabaptist Preacher New Member

The Bible does not say God hates sin! That is just philosophy. God hates, but no where in the Bible does it say God hates sin. But contrary to modern Christianity, God hates some people. Those people are as follows:
    1. "All workers of iniquity" (Psalm 5:5).
    2. "The wickes" (Psalm 11:5), which the first group of people in the Bible called wicked were the men of Sodom (Genesis 13:13).
    3. "Lovers of violence" (Psalm 11:5).
    4. Some individuals (Romans 9:13), which the Bible attributes the cause of such as fornication and profanity (Hebrews 12:16).
    Contrary to modern liberal theology, God does not love everyone! Now the above does not mean that God hates all sinners. But all sinners do not fall within the categories above.

13. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heehaww !!!:applause:

Way to go, webdog. I like that example, brother.:thumbs:

14. WaltRiceJr

WaltRiceJr New Member

Comments on pieces of this discussion:

1. Someone re-posed the question as a dichotomy -- why does God hate his enemies and tell us to love ours? The answer is not that "God is God and we are not." I don't think God is asking us to do something he does not do -- in fact, we are to be holy because he is holy, and loving our enemies is part of that. Indeed, we were God's enemies, and HE LOVED US! (Romans 5:10).

2. As for the issue of God hating some people, and not sin, Scripture provides some clear guidance. Romans 1:18 -- "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness." The wrath is against godlessness here, as well as the godless. I'm sure there are other easy passages that can quickly answer this argument. God hates divorce. God hates lying. There are six sins, yea, seven, that the Lord hates?

3. Against the idea that God does not love all people, you have passages like John 3:16 and 2 Peter 3:9. We understand that God's love, in some sense, extends to all people -- for he causes the sun to shine on the righteous and the wicked, and he cares for each and every life. Consider God's rebuke of Jonah, where he was concerned even for Ninevah's cattle! God does not delight in seeing any of his creation perish; although as judge he must punish evil and evildoers.

4. Some extra comments. By definition, everybody can't be right. The dietary laws of the Old Testament would not necessarily produce better health today -- their purpose was primarily to demonstrate God's holiness and that of his people, not their healthiness. And yes, as husbands and wives learn to love each other as God intends, marriages, families, churches, and even society will be turned upside down with the gospel.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to the BB :thumbs: Excellent post!

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible does not say God hates sin?!? You want to rethink that a little bit?

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I would agree that the actual English sentence, "God hates sin" does not occur in any of the translations of the bible into English I have seen, but then neither does the word "Trinity", and we surely believe in that.

The bible does teach that God hates sin. Just a three examples: Zechariah 8.17:

Let none of you think evil in your heart against your neighbour; And do not love a false oath. For all these are things that I hate,’ Says the LORD."
    Thinking evil against our neighbour and making a false oath are both sin.

Deuteronomy 16.22:

"You shall not set up a sacred pillar, which the LORD your God hates."​

That is, the sin of idolatry.

Revelation 2.6:

Re 2:6 "But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate."​

Whatever deeds these Nicolaitans were doing, they were against God's word, and were therefore sin.

Also, I don't agree with your statement that "...all sinners do not fall within the categories above. " Not all sinners love violence, but all sinners are guilty of iniquity. When David prays in his penitential psalm 51, verse 2:

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin,​

he is not asking God to do two things. As often happens in the psalms, and in Proverbs, the second part of the verse repeats the meaning of the first but in different words. I believe the technical term is "Synonymous Parallelism". "Iniquity" is another word for "sin", though as I understand it, the Hebrew word translated "iniquity" can also have the meaning of "the punishment for sin".

#17 David Lamb, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  18. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

We are God's children. I wonder why He put the evil dog with supernatural powers here to chase us. Strange father doing exactly the opposite of your good example.

Regards
    DL

19. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I think that God can tolerate sin with no problem.
    Check Job.
    God and Satan are quite cordial together. God is the creator of evil. Why would He hate His creation?
    He is clearly the master of evil according to many scriptures. He clearly thinks that evil needs to be here otherwise He could rid us of it with a snap of His mighty fingers.

Regards
    DL

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JkdBuck78's analogy made sense. Your's does not.

He likened sin as a wild animal coming to attack a father's child and the father hating the wild animal for it.

You said that the father created the wild animal and trained it to attack his children.

God does not tempt his children to sin. James 1:13-14 - "When tempted, no one should say, 'God is tempting me'. For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone, but each one is tempted when by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed."

God did not create evil (the wild dog) to torment us, but just the opposite....he provides shelter from it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 - "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful, he will not let you be tempted beyond what yo can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it"