1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does God require holiness?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Jun 6, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

<JUMP>
    God is not requiring holiness in some distant dimension and just obeserving if we do so or not. As the Holy Spirit is in us, we constantly have a "hint" of what it is to be Holy as God, so we can always just follow up on that suggestion, and either pray for more, or go on what you have so far. Sadly some people just need more willpower or medication to do so.
    </JUMP>

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

willpower

Will power is a dangerous term meant for those who dont fully place their faith in Christ and trust Him to guide their life. Guidance and information required for the course of 'life' is found in the pages of scripture. There is a famine of the word in this country! Read the bible until you truly know it everyday for the rest of your life and you may glean a hint of who God is and what is He expects from us about the meaning of holiness! Holiness has nothing to do with what the world expects, or the law requires but is a state of a heart starving for God above all else! For starters read, Holiness by J.C. Ryle, one of the very best books ever! The holiness you read about will give you goose bumps! Challenging!!

3. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Thanks very much. It's a good question and you have me really thinking about it. The more I think about it, the more I realize I've never really thought about it except in the broad sense. Not only that, I don't recall anyone else having much to say about it. So I'll continue to think about it, particularly the second part of your question. :)

I agree with that. While poverty is not required for a close walk with God, nevertheless God wants us to be dependent on Him. Often we are in the abstract, but I believe He wants to be involved in all the details as well. Anyway, my long-term observation is that most of God's people are poor or struggling, by our standards, and I suspect that cannot explained by chance alone.

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I use the term will power has having the peferred thought process wiring. People with Autism for what I hear of it, may alwways need constant group study instead of coming to know the Lord alone. "Meditation in the Desert" is only for who God calls to do so. Not everyone can handle that. According to Alistar Begg a few years ago, The Lords Prayer implys that we shouldn't want a desert event as Christ had. Like I said, whatever mental programming, if the Holy Spirit is there, you will long to know more about him

I'm more of an audiable learner-does that mean i won't get Holy by listening to the bible on CD? And I never take book suggestions unless It's in a free libaray, for future refrence, but I'll be sure to look it up, Maybe I could get it via interlibrary loan.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I agree with you.

The lies changed the world; the lies changed the Christian's life.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, how true. I often think GOD won't bless most of us monitarily because he knows we will depart from him.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Prosperity?

Holiness!!! That is TRUE prosperity.

Prosperity begins with salvation.

There is great danger to equate true prosperity with monetary gain. You risk falling into the rut of the love of money.

Psalms 1: 1-3 is a very good guide to what True prosperity really is.

Ivey, I appreciate your time spent on this subject and I agree wholeheartedly with your premise for it is RIGHT!!! Though sad to say it is also very true.

That is exactly what I am "getting at".

The Church needs to awake out of sleep and see the importance of living holy.

Legalism is nothing more than one trying to attain salvation through good works or to maintain salvation through them. Since neither is possible in regards to salvation, legalism is a waste of time regarding eternity. But living holy is NOT ever legalism, it is commanded by our Lord.
    :praise: :Fish: :praise:

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I have noticed how much we do agree, my Brother.:praise: :Fish: :praise:

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree and would add Jesus' teaching in MT 6:19, 20, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:" and I am always reminded to "Seek ye First etc..."

My concern is of course this fad of teaching prosperity in the Church. I know for a fact every rich may is not going to hell, but there was a certian rich man which Jesus suggested to get rid of his fortune as it would always be first nd an henderance in his life.

Secondly, it appears the more we get (especially in America) the less we need GOD. Thoughts?

10. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

This is from one of my devotionals this morning. It was 'written' about 100 years ago and it was not talking about money alone. But the lesson certainly applies to the materialsim and the dominant culture of self-fulfillment in America today.

#30 IveyLeaguer, Jun 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2006
  11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

A man's reliance on God for every breath is excited the more when his breath has been shortened or knocked out of him. The same goes with money. Those who don't have the "love" of money can be defined as those who, no matter how much or how little they have at their disposal, they're just plain happy in Jesus.:praise: :Fish: :praise: