1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why does my computer time out?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by thjplgvp, May 31, 2006.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I have called my server and they tell me that they do not time out their customers but when I try to play internet radio and at times even on the BB I find that little window popping up asking I want to reconnect to the internet or stay disconnected.

Any suggestions if it is not my server?

2. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

When you say your server, you mean your Internet Provider? If you're on dial up, a lot of dial up companies used to time you out for no activity. They used to have free applications available for download that will trick the ISP (Internet Service Provider) into thinking you're still active online. But, again, you have to be really careful what you download and install on your computer. A lot of free stuff out there for downloading contains stuff that's not healthy for your computer, such as Spyware. What Internet Provider are you using? AOL, Earthlink, Juno, ....???

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I have broadban cable and my provider is 4grc.com my current system is a Gateway Pentium 4, 3.4 ghz, 504 MB of Ram and H-T I am running Windows XP 2002 service pack 2

4. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

O.K., well that's a different story. It sounds like you might have some sort of corruption going on in your browser, for it to keep disconnecting. The first thing I would do is run some scans and make sure the system is cleaned out. Do a virus scan on the pc. If you need a good free anti-virus program, let me know. I can point you to two different ones. There are a couple of free spyware removal tools that do a good job, and get most of the junk off of your pc. The first one is Lavasoft Adaware. The second one is called Spybot Search and Destroy. You can do a Google search for them, or go to my website (www.computerbroke.com , membership is required for downloads), or go to www.majorgeeks.com, and download these two tools, and run them. If you need help with them, you can get free advice on my site. I usually have a couple of people over there checking for new posts. Remove anything found by these two applications. Then see if that improves the situation. If not, you might need to do a repair on the browser, or try a different browser, such as Mozilla Firefox.

5. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

Another thing to ask, when you say a little pop up comes up, I want to make sure I'm on the same page as you. Does this pop up come from down on the bottom right of your screen, next to the clock? Or, is this a message in your browser? Do you have a router installed, and your pc hooked into it? If so, is it a hard wired router, or wireless?

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Keith,

I have spyware Doctor installed and I thought I had it on automatic block but evidently I did not because it brought up four infections. They are now isolated and imunized.

As to virus protection I get all my email through Yahoo and did not think I would need virus software for that reason.

Thanks for your help.

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I just saw your other post yes I do use a router because I have a laptop as well but I cannot remember if my PC is hard or wireless? I am pretty sure the PC is hardwired.

8. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

Sorry, but yes, you need to run anti-virus software. Things can slip by Yahoo. You can click on a link in a site and get an infection. A site you trust could be hacked without your knowledge, and a link is changed to point to a script that could totally destroy everything on your hard drive if you didn't have some sort of protection. The best free anti-virus program I can recommend is called AVG. They make their money off of the commercial version, and give out the version for home use. The free one is a sort of advertisement for companies and individuals to buy the commercial version. I've run the free version on all of my homecomputers for years, and have never lost any data to a virus infection. The few times I did get an infection, AVG caught it right away. Here's a link to the free AVG download:

Click Here

9. Keith_Hodges

Keith_Hodges New Member

Could be your router is dropping the connection. Try rebooting the router. Routers also go bad sometimes. If this becomes persistent, have someone qualified to test it.

10. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Thanks for all your help Keith. I downloaded the virus program and installed it and thankfully I have no virus.

If it continues I will check the router. Thanks again.

thjplgvp

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

One thing to add is that sometimes it is the individual web server that has the problem. See if you can tell if it happens any where besides that one web radio station.