1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Why doesn't God speak?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Former Member Amorphous, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He does. Why are you making the claim that He doesn't?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure you're listening?

There's an old joke about a man on the roof of a house during a flood, praying for God to save him. Another man came by in a boat, asking if he needed help; he said no, God would help him. A helicopter flew over, and asked if he needed help. Again he repiled, no God would save him. The flood eventually overtook him. When he met God, he said, "I prayed and prayed; why didn't you save me?" God replied, "I sent you a boat and a helicopter...."

People on this board have counseled you to seek professional help, like psychiatrists; and they've counseled you to read God's Word to see what it says to YOU. In both cases, you've basically rejected that counsel.

Like the man on the roof, it's your responsibility to recognize when God is making an effort, and get in the boat.

James 4 tells us, draw nigh unto God, and He will draw nigh unto you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Former Member Amorphous

Former Member Amorphous Nephilim Slayer

I've sat hours in silence waiting. He has only given me a jet that took me high, and then crashed, and burned, and took me lower then ever. He should just snuff me out and get rid of the garbage.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not realize you were going through a crisis.

If God spoke to you right now, would it make a difference?

Are you speaking to him?

Why don't you pour out your grievances and pain to God - not making ultimatums - and you may eventually recognize His voice?

I have gone through some very dark times in my life where the heavens were silent and I felt quite alone and abandoned. In retrospect, those times were the most pivotal times in my life because I was stripped down to the essentials where I knew very few things:

1.) God is real.
    2.) I was in tremendous emotional/spiritual agony.
    3.) God would eventually restore me after the time of testing.
    4.) I needed to be honest.
    5.) I needed to be faithful so that I would know that my love for God was not just because I was happy and comfortable (see Job1-2).

I will enter into prayer for you during this difficult time.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase "... foolishness to them that perish" comes to mind.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're still not listening, are you? You say you've sat hours in silence waiting; and yet, you've had a lot of people responding to you on this message board, telling you things.

God speaks to us through His Word, AND through His messengers.

Have you considered helping someone who needs assistance? Whether it be a yard mowed, or driven to the grocery store?

Open your eyes, your ears, and your heart; be aware of the little miracles He's working around you this very moment. He's speaking; but you're waiting for a voice, when He's been telling you "I sent you a doctor, and I had a bunch of people tell you what you needed to hear."

And if I may say, if you really think you have it bad, go read Job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just thought I would bump this up.

I know what you mean and I won't give you a verbal beating just my opinion from scripture.

I don't know if anyone has already given this answer but here it is

Hebrews 1
    1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
    4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

I like two other translation which bring out an interesting nuance of "these last days"

But first:

Last - eschatos
    Friberg 02178 - Finally, last of all
    UBS 02625 - Final
    Louw-Nida 02780 - Last in a series of events

The Bible in Basic English
    Hebrews 1:1 In times past the word of God came to our fathers through the prophets, in different parts and in different ways;
    2 But now, at the end of these days, it has come to us through his Son, to whom he has given all things for a heritage, and through whom he made the order of the generations;

The Darby Bible
    Hebrews 1:1 God having spoken in many parts and in many ways formerly to the fathers in the prophets,
    2 at the end of these days has spoken to us in the person of the Son, whom he has established heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

So, God has indeed on occasion spoke via an audible voice to and through the prophets, but now that the second person of the Trinity has come in the flesh and spoken to us audibly those former days are over.

Presumably then we shall not hear Him (God in the flesh) again until He descends from heaven to the Mount of Olives in the very same body in which He left, then we shall hear Him again via an audible voice.

In the meantime:
    Luke 19:13... Occupy till I come.

HankD

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amorphous is no longer a member of Baptist Board. He resigned some time ago.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps he lurks?
    Perhaps he might come back?
    Perhaps others might like my blathering?

:)

HankD

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the OP is no longer a member I'm closing this thread

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.