1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Earn a PHD?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jamal5000, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Bugman

Bugman New Member

Tom, schooling can be a really good thing, but schooling alone will not make a good pastor, perhaps a very knowledgable one but it's God's calling that makes a good one. When you go to get a degree or phd do it not so you will know a lot but becasue you will be able to help guide the flock better with it.

Bugman

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He received his D.Min back in 1983 or 1984, so things may have been a little different... but the Religious Education schools has not had the turnover the Theology school has had in the wake of the "resurgence". It was my understanding that the R.E. degrees were much easier to obtain than the theology degrees (at least that's what I told myself while I was working on my M.Div!).

As I understand things, this friend should have tried to get an D.Min in the R.E. school since he was a pastor. (Frankly, I think he went after the degree simply for the title.) It is my understanding the D.Min degrees in the theology department have always been a substantial degree.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When I was growing up, my mother, wanting me to go to college, always told me, you can't be too educated, and there's never been a class that's been a waste: Even if you didn't learn what you wanted, you learned something.

I'm sure that's the case. God may be no respector of persons, but if you feel called to the ministry you darn well better make sure you equip yourself well for the task.

If pastor chooses to seek a third stripe on his/her sleeve, then more power to him/her, because the congregation will get to reap the rewards.

Yeah, there are ALWAYS going to be people to say that college degrees don't get someone into heaven, but they can equip a pastor to get someone there.

So to all the Reverend Doctors Fill-in-the-blanks out there, I thank you for your hard work and dilligence. Take a bow!!