1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why English Is.....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

.....Hard To Learn:

We'll begin with box; the plural is boxes
    But the plural of ox is oxen, not oxes.
    One fowl is a goose, and two are called geese;
    Yet the plural of moose is never called meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a house full of mice;
    But the plural of house is houses, not hice.
    The plural of man is always men,
    But the plural of pan is never pen.

If I speak of a foot, and you show two feet,
    And if I give you a book, would a pair be a beek?
    If one is a tooth, and a whole set are teeth,
    Why shouldn't two booths be called beeth?

If the singular's this and the plural is these,
    Shouldn't the plural of kiss be called keese?

We speak of a brother and also of brethren,
    But though we say mother, we never say methren.

The masculine pronouns are he, his, and him;
    But imagine the feminine.....she, shis, and shim!

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

If I recall correctly, Dear Abby printed this poem in the Newspapers back in the 70's.

I actually clipped the poem from our local paper and saved it for many years.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Eye didn't think it was very knew. :smilewinkgrin:

It showed up on my Facebook today. Thought it was worth repeating though.

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I love names like St.John pronounced Sinjin and Featherstonhaugh pronounced as Faunshaw, English place names which sound slightly rude. One line of ancestors come from a Scottish village called Easter Fordell which sound strange to my ears.

Then again some American place names from early settlers sound risque in the extreme but language changes.

A New Zealand place name cracks me up....Whakatane....the Wh is an "F" sound and sounds very rude to me.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want strange, then take a gander at some towns settled by the Pennsylvania Dutch...referring to "Blue Balls" & "Intercourse " both in eastern PA. Not kidding.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I couldn't believe it when we drove through a town in Arkansas called 'Toad Suck'.

7. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

[​IMG]Welcome to Toad Suck

#7 Steadfast Fred, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

There's a town called Buck Snort in TN.....probably not too far from Frog Jump, TN.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I live in Paducah, Kentucky. That's in far Western Kentucky on the Ohio River, where the Tennessee River ends at the riverfront.

We're fond of saying Paducah is located halfway between Possum Trot (15 miles to the east) and Monkey's Eyebrow (15 miles west).

Then, there's a community in West Tennessee about 100 miles south of Paducah called Skullbone. The people who live there call themselves Skullbonians.

They are also fond of calling it the Kingdom of Skullbonia. The name arose from the sport of bare-knuckle fighting that used to be a popular sport in the community. They called it skullboning.

#9 Tom Butler, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  10. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes well I always thought a town called Intercourse could only happen in America.....mind you I love Jacksons Hole and the Grand Tetons as well.

I have a brother who lives in Woolloowin, been to a lake called Lake Neverfillup. There is Tibrogargan and another favourite Micketybumblegrai which sounds like a train going over the tracks. A lot of Australian minor creeks were called things which are no longer politically correct like Chinamans Hat, or Blackboy Hole sort of thing, and slowly being relabelled.

I live in Wanganui which is beside the beautiful river Whanganui.....there was almost blood in the streets over the inclusion of the silent "H" which is dialectically different to the northerners who pronounce the "wh" as "f". A favourite gag name in NZ is Whykickamoocow which sucks in the naive.

11. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Here's the story how Intercourse PA got its name: Many years ago the PA Dutch (who actually were GERMAN, not people from Holland!) built a race course for horses out in Lancaster County.

As time passed, a little community grew up at the entrance way to this race course. One "entered the course" through this little town. However, when spoken in English, the PA Dutch dialect came out as "Inter" rather than "Enter" as the little town's function. Hence, to the English speakers, it became "Intercourse" rather than "ENTERcourse."

(At least this is the story that people from that town will tell outsiders.)

BTW, I'd encourage all you BB folks to visit the PA Dutch area in south central PA. It's a beautiful place to visit.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Maryland : Finksburg and Boring are eye-catchers.