1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why go to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recieved this in an email today:

I know that we all have read this before, but take time to read it again.

Why go to church?

If you're spiritually alive, you'regoing to love this! If you're spiritually dead, you won't want to read it. If you're spirituallycurious, there is still hope!

Why Go To Church?
    A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals But I do know this.. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!" When you are DOWN to nothing... God is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

All right, now that you're done reading, send it on! I think everyone should read this!

"When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say, "Jesus, could you get that for me?"

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing that. It is indeed a rejuvenation to the inner man for us aliens in a strange land to hear the preaching of the gospel and to fellowship with brothers and sisters of like mind.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Long before I met my wife, I had been taught by my parents to work and feed myself. That prevented me from going hungry. Now that my wife enjoys cooking I can be lazy and let her feed me if I want. If I am not lazy then I have something to give because of the skills my parents taught me.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apart from the little homily there are the Scriptures:

To obey God:
    Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.​

To exhort one another: Same as above Hebrews 10:25

To grow:
    1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.​

Then to learn to exercise our powers of discernment:
    Hebrews 5
    13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
    14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.​

For fellowship:
    1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.​

To edify (promote the growth of) one another:
    1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.​

To have the Lord's Supper:
    1 Corinthians 11:25
    25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
    26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
    27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
    28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.​

These are just a few reasons.​

HankD​

#4 HankD, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just in time to bump this