1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Have Sunday School

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is really good. While we ask women NOT to ask questions/preach in that time, we have men and women participate.

My sermon this Sunday was on "Preaching" (we are doing 20 messages on the form/function of our new church). Afterward we ended the sermon, five or six different folks shared thoughts, affirmed message - like what is the biblical def of "prophesying"; differences in Eastern subjective "feeling" type religion and Western logical objective preaching; what makes a sermon different that a SS lesson or a speech.

These people were THINKING and this really impressed me. And it impressed their children. I had a 9-year old girl talk with me (while ladies were getting lunch out) and I was blown away by her reaction to "church".

I'm finding we teach a little by what we say, more by what we do, but most by what we are.

2. Karen

Karen Active Member

It is really good. While we ask women NOT to ask questions/preach in that time, we have men and women participate.
    These people were THINKING and this really impressed me. And it impressed their children. I had a 9-year old girl talk with me (while ladies were getting lunch out) and I was blown away by her reaction to "church".......I'm finding we teach a little by what we say, more by what we do, but most by what we are.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I take it that women participating in the discussion, but not talking, means they listen?
    ;)
    As for women putting out the lunch later, and teaching by what we do, many men in my church help with church dinners in all aspects from cooking to cleanup. [​IMG]

Karen

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Hey Doc - here's my two cents!

1. I trust you will be preaching as long as the Apostle Paul did - remember he preached so long that one young man fell asleep and fell out the window!

2. I don't see the name Baptist is the name of your new church! I assume that you will be joining the membership of your new church.

Does that mean you can't post in Baptist only sections of the board any more? ;)

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sovereign Grace is an independent Reformed Baptist Church (look at our 1689 London Baptist Confession doctrinal statement).

And no, I am a missionary and retain overall membership in my sending church. It becomes inactive when out for 4-5 years in a new planting ministry, then active again when I am back. Odd situation!