1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I Am Boycotting Bill O'Reilly

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Therefore let him who thinks he stand take heed that he does not fall" -1Cor 10:12

When I left class on Tuesday night I had no idea that my view of one of America's top tv commentators was about to change. However, it did. As I rode down the highway I turned my XM Radio to Fox News to hear the O'Reilly Factor as I normally do. However what I heard on this night stunned me. In fact I assumed I must be misunderstanding what O'Reilly was saying. Was this man actually claiming that Shawn Hornbeck liked being a hostage? And for what reason? According to O'Reilly it was because he did not want to go to school. I rode in stunned silence. How in the world could someone believe, much less say on national tv, such a thing? Why would a child enjoy being kept from his/parents, abused, and threatend for four years?

Then I heard that O'Reilly went on Greta Van Susteren's show and said the same thing. The following is a transcript of that interview...Prepare to be sick.

Disturbed yet? I was, and I still am. This has bothered me even more after watching Oprah's interview with Hornbeck and his parents. It was very clear that this boy missed his family and it was very clear that this boy has been badly abused both physically and mentally. Bill O'Reilly has crossed a very serious line here. When he actually suggests that a victim of a serious crime "liked" it, he has gone too far. I don't care if it is this Hornbeck kid, the Ownby kid, an old lady who is victim of a purse snatcher, a woman who is raped, or a store clerk who is killed for $40.00. Bill O'Reilly has stepped over the line. For this reason I, and I know others on the internet, are now boycotting Bill O'Reilly. I will not watch nor listen to his radio show again. He has lost a regular viewer/listener. I encourage all people of good conscience to join me. We need to send a message to this man that such stunts will not be tolerated.

These two acts by O'Reilly, on his show and on Van Susteren's show, have undone all the good O'Reilly has done trying to get predators off the streets. The above statements are signs of pride and gross insensitivity.

For example. O'Reilly, without any evidence, stated:
    "Authorities actually say that he taunted his own parents on his website"

That is a lie. Shawn Hornbeck stated that he put those messages on his parents website hoping that they would figure out who he was. He was, in a way, reaching out to them. O'Reilly had no right to say anything he did since he had no proof to back it up. What a sick man!

Victims of crime need to be believed not told they were enjoying it!

#1 Martin, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On tonight's "Talking Points" that I viewed, right after writing the above post, O'Reilly took a less aggressive tone. He said that Hornbeck was a victim and that he should be helped (agreed). However he did not apologize for his earlier statements and still "implied" that something was not right about Hornbeck's account. O'Reilly also said that it was the "far left" who are vilifying him. Well, guess what, I am not far left. I am, according to many, far right and I am shocked and sickened by what O'Reilly has said. He can't take it back, and he refuses to say "I'm sorry, I made a bad mistake". Until he does his show will be a "No Watch Zone" in my house and car.

3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like Bill O'Reilly shot his mouth off again. I've never really liked his show that much, except those letters to him that he reads at the end of the show. And his closing line:

The spin stops here. We're looking out for you.

gets on my last nerve. Even in a friendly interview, he constantly interrupts and then blurts just anything out. It's fine with me if he doesn't believe in the Stockholm Syndrome, as seems to be the case, his judgement has been questionable for me ever since I saw THAT tape on the internet.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Wow, you need to boycott abc, ncb, and cbs news as well because all these stations have questioned why this boy was there so long. Orielly has said nothing different than most everyone else he just does it is a stronger way. There are alot of things that can be labeled "over the line" but this is far from that.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why I Am Boycotting Bill O'Reilly

If I was interested (and I ain't) I would tell you to tell me why.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

O'Reilly doesn't speak for me and never has. I listened to him about a week, a long time ago and that was enough.

7. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

Personally I like O'Reilly. I am glad the context of what he said was put on here as well. Being a news commentator he is allowed to state his opinion, it is his job and you don't have to agree with everything he says. I may not agree with him on this or many other things, but as far as news commentators go, he really does seem, in my opinion, the most fair, by allowing other side (usually the left in most circumstances) to state their view as well, where other shows, rarely let the other side speak in their defense.

My personal view of this case is the boy was likely brainwashed as soon as he was kidnapped, but it could have been a million things, maybe his home life before was horrible...we just don't know, I am sure someone will have the book rights shortly and we can all read with our jaws dropped open...as for me I am personally just not that interested in the case either way. The guy kidnapped and should be hung, period!

By the way, not sure if this is a reading type of crowd, but I think everyone should Culture Warrior by O'Reilly, great book, very quick read and he is right on the money and not affraid to be honest and say what is happening in this country.

8. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

But I thought real, no-nonsense journalism grew out of Inside Edition! :BangHead:

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==There is nothing wrong with that. I think everyone who has followed this story with any level of interest has wondered that. However most of us believe, with good reason, that the boy was brainwashed, threatened, terrified, and doing whatever he had to do to survive. O'Reilly however had the nerve to say that this young man may have stated, in part, because he liked it. Just guessing about the type of horrors this young man endured for four long years makes O'Reilly's statement look silly and abominable.

==Yes, this is far beyond that line. To suggest that a kidnap victim liked his/her situation and that is why they stayed not only conflicts with the evidence it is also an insult to everyone who has been a victim of violent crime. It is like saying a woman stayed with her abusive husband because she liked being beat.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==As far as I have read we have no reason to believe his home life had anything to do with anything. It seems that he believed that his best chance for survival was waiting for someone to help him. I think he thought it was too risky for him to openly reach out. I do believe he may also have been brainwashed to some degree and probably threatened (one article said at gun point on a regular basis). I also think he was abused.

==Personally I think hanging is too merciful for this man. However I doubt I will buy any book that may be published about this case. These type cases hold my attention only for a short time. I am a modern microwave American after all.

==Personally I think when O'Reilly said "The situation here with this kid is looks to me to be a lot more fun then when he had under his own parents. He didn't have to go to school, He could run around and do what he wanted...I think when it all comes down what's going to happen is there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances" he destroyed any good he had done with Culture Warrior. How can someone be a Culture Warrior if one honestly believes a child enjoys captivity, mental, and physical abuse more than school and family. O'Reilly's "logic" is sick and twisted. Also I think, based on the interview I saw yesterday, the media (etc) may have over-hyped what freedoms this boy had.

11. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

As bad and as odd as it sounds there are women who have been raped only to marry their rapist. Again, we just do not know all of the facts in this case yet. If you want to quit watching O'Reilly then that is great, it is your prerogative; however, to be so emotionally outraged at this before knowing the facts is, I believe, premature. What will your reaction be if Shawn writes a book saying his life was better there than his home life? I am not saying it was at all...but these are questions yet to be answered in this case. I think Bill's statement was also premature.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think we do know enough to know that O'Reilly's thesis was wrong.

==Well I doubt any of us will ever know all the facts. After all the media will probably have forgotten this story within two weeks. My problem with OReilly is that he made that kind of statement with zero proof backing him up. The victim should always be given the benefit of the doubt and there are real psychological reasons why young victims may do the things these boys did. O'Reilly can ignore that till the cows fly, and no doubt he will, but that does not change the facts.

==Then I will say that O'Reilly was right and I was wrong. However I think, based on that interview I watched and the reports I have read, that is not likely to happen. Really I hope that he does not write a book. I hope that we all forget who he is and that he can get his life back on track and move past these events. As for the theory that he was happier with his kidnapper, well I can't accept that. That boy seemed to be over-joyed at being home. I also don't believe that being physically and mentally abused is ever fun or better.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Really, the matter between this teenager and criminal is none of our business. It is for the authorities to investigate, bring the adult to justice, and seek help for the victim. This has no place being part of the national media frenzy. It gets back to the same point as other threads, who cares what Bill OReilly, Rush Limbaugh, Keith Oberman, Chris Matthews or Hollywood stars think about any issue. Really, why should anyone care?

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==In a very strong way I fully agree. However it is part of the media frenzy so it is an issue. OReilly speaks to a large audience each night and what he says matters. Whether it should or not.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't watch O'Reilley so I don't know the context of his comments. I will say that I've seen some psychological research that debunks some of the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing. It's not beyond the pale of reasonable discourse to question its validity. I'm not saying I think it isn't real. I'm saying that there seems to be enough evidence/research to say that it's a likely theory but not scientific fact or a moral certainty.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I have no problem with any person questioning the "Stockholm Syndrome". That seems like a good debate that those who are qualified should engage in. What I took such extreme exception to is the following statement made by OReilly,

"when it all comes down what's going to happen is there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances"

There is the beef I have with OReilly. To imply or to just suggest that this "CHILD" liked anything about the last four years is, in no uncertain terms, sick. You know I can't imagine what that child has suffered for the past four years, I don't even want to. So I must not try to figure out his actions during those four years. I have never been in that situation, and neither has Mr OReilly, so I have nothing to judge his behavior by. I assume he did whatever he had to do to get by. If that was sleeping, listening to loud music, playing video games, or whatever else. I imagine he did what he did to get by and I will never be critical of him for that. As for why he did not try to escape? Well I think it was clear from that interview that he "did" try to get attention by posting on his parents website and we don't know how many other little things he may have done trying to reach out. Why did he not tell the police or a friends parent (etc) who he was? I have no idea. However I have to imagine that he probably was unsure who he could trust. It is also likely, according to stories I read, that he was under constant threat (maybe his family as well). We don't know what this kid faced, and we probably don't want to know (truth be known). So I am not going to be critical of anything he did (playing video games, making friends in the community, going along with his captor, etc) because I assume he did what he had to do to get by. Let's keep in mind that he was eleven when this horror started. This is a abused, scared, tramatized child. Let's keep that in mind. Maybe now he can move on to a normal life.

Look I got really angry at OReilly this week, I don't regret doing so, and I will not watch/listen to his show ever again. However now I really would like to move away OReilly and on to other issues. I don't want to give OReilly anymore of my attention. Honestly I think my attention would be better spent watching the grass grow than worrying about Bill OReilly.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I think I agree with O'Reilly in a certain sense. An 11,12, 13, 14, 15 yr old kid is going to LIKE not being in school, playing video games all day, and generally having no responsibilities.

Rare is the kid who LIKES responsibilities and goes out of his way to get them. And that is what this kid would have had to do after a while with this creep. He did NOT try calling the police. He was allowed to ride his bike around (I understood), why not go to a neighbor and call 911?

Why not? Because he is an adolescent who can get away with no school, play games all day, sleep in, no responsibilities.

I do not think O'Reilly is sick at all. He is just being realistic and assessing the situation in its context with today's youth and the tendency of adolescents to want to "do their own thing". It appears this kids was allowed to have it his own way and he would have had to make a determined and definite effort to call the cops but he did not.

I am not saying the kid deserved it, all I am saying is the kid did nothing to help himself. If you have ever known any 11-15 yr old kids like I have you will realize that if an 11-15 yr old kid decides he doesn't like something he will rebel like the dickens against it. Why did he not????

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did he not tell?

Jim, yours is an attitude that is not uncommon. People who haven't been in this child's shoes or who have not been around adults in similiar situations have no clue.

<edited - LE>

People who harm children do so much more damage that just the physical.

Perhaps this boy was ashamed to the point of becoming mute, frightened that this man would find him no matter where he went, frightened that this man would harm his family, or deeply brainwashed.

I promise you that this boy was not enjoying his 4-year vacation from school and family.

I watched the interview with boy and Oprah. Something happened to that boy. What, I don't know. But I could tell.

So many children and women appear on the surface to be functioning normally. But if you could see inside, they are terrified and don't always think straight enough to cry out for help.

I am what I like to call "recovered". I don't feel like a victim anymore. I only hope, if this boy did undergo something terrible, that he will someday come to that place too.

#18 Scarlett O., Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin

You pay XM radio for the trash it broadcasts . . . and thereby encourage more of the same.

You get what you pay for.

:BangHead:

#19 El_Guero, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Regardless of OReilly's position, Stockholm syndrome does explain the attachment of a victim to an abuser. However, claiming that this child suffered in this manner without any support is just as dangerous as claiming that the child did not suffer.

MHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.