1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I am KJV only

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pioneer, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    Either King James was right or the Bible is a lie. Proverbs 8:15 By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prov 8:15 is referring to wisdom, not God per se. In the context of vv. 12-16, the point is one of wisdom and understanding that comes from Wisdom. It is by wisdom, the eternal attribute of God, is put to use by kings and ruler who decree justice (as opposed to injustice), who judge rightly. In other words, wisdom is the means by which kings and rulers rightly discharge the duties of their office.

While the personification of God or Christ view can be taken, it is more likely not, IMHO. It seems rather that wisdom is the eternal possession of God, an attribute by which he created the order or the world(cause-effect relationships which are so important in Proverbs). Those who get wisdom, this eternal principle from God, understand the world around them much better. They are able to live better and to rule better (in this case).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Of course, you have to have some knowledge of the English language to understand that "of God" does not mean "belonging to God" by "by the grace of God."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like Spirit of God?? Fear of God?? Angel of God?? Mountain of God?? Statutes of God?? Truth of God?? Faithfulness of God?? Son of God?? I could go on and on; however, the point probably shows very well -- it is not a matter of understanding the English language but of understanding the context. The English language affords and in most cases encourages the interpretation of Rockfort though yours is certainly permissible in some cases as are a number of other understandings.

As for what James said and what he meant ... who knows??

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It was "of God" that James sat on the throne of England. Just as Proverbs 8;15 says.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely on the first ... questionable on the second. James certainly didn't rule by wisdom for the most part. He doesn't seem to be particularly just or to have decreed justice.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:

Absolutely on the first ... questionable on the second. James certainly didn't rule by wisdom for the most part. He doesn't seem to be particularly just or to have decreed justice.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you pastor Larry; but am I seeing a trend among KJV only groups trying to make it look as if we "non-KJVO" groups do not accept the KJV? In my opinion, the KJV is a great translation, but it is not without its translational errors any more than any of the new translations (regardless of the source). Specifically, don't you agree with me that we also respect the KJV, but they are trying to make it appear as if we are attacking it just because we may ALSO like other translations? Am I missing something here?

3. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Larry, either God is sovereign or He is not. Either James sat on the throne of England "of God" or he did not. I, for one, believe in the Sovereignty of God and no amount of pedantic obfuscation will change that. Either God is Sovereign or He is not. Either wisdom is an attribute of God or it is not.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Thomas, I agree with that absolutely. It seemed that in the context, James believed himself to be sitting on the "throne of God" (as opposed to the throne "of God") thereby considering himself to be ruling in replacement of God. Whether James actually said that, and what he meant to communicate by it are two things I would not presume to comment on.

My point was simply two-fold.

1) "Of God" should not always be understood as "by the grace of God" and,

2) Prov 8:15 does not address that of "source of rule" (from God) but rather the "means of right rule" (by wisdom), IMO.

But as to your point on sovereignty, I am a FIRM believer in that as well as the eternal nature of wisdom. [​IMG]