1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why I am KJV only

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by LarryV2.0, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryV2.0

LarryV2.0 New Member

I found my original post. This was posted back in 2001, apparently I was more eloquent back then.

PS: Moderator, I would appreciate your keeping a tight rain on this thread, as long as you do it in a consistent manner.

Why I am KJV only
    I have been a member of Baptist Board going on one year and have not posted on this topic (although I have followed it) because I have been there and done that. In all the time I have spent on the Internet I have never seen anyone change his or her mind about Bible Versions and I figured that it was a waste of time.
    The other day a man named Chet posted on the Bible Version Board and his post mad it clear to me that I should at least post something on this page so if by chance someone acutely was struggling with what the deal is with Bible Versions, they may see this. I do talk to people about Bible Versions face to face but I'm not very good at doing it on the Internet.

Before I get started a want to say that Ruckman and Riplinger are not representative of all KJVO people and they have flaws in their work.
    You can go to the following address to read articles on Ruckman, Riplinger and James White that go into detail.
    http://www.whidbey.net/~dcloud/fbns/examining01.htm

When I got saved I had a huge appetite for the word of God. The preacher of the church I joined used the KJV and said that it was the word of God so that's what I read. He also used the Greek and Hebrew from Stronges so I got a Stronges and before long I to was "digging nuggets from the original languages" I went threw several note books retranslating the KJV. When I say huge appetite, I mean it. I would spend almost every waking hour (that I wasn’t at work) studding.

That went on for about a year when I got a computer and a program with several different translations and "The Greek and Hebrew"… man I was on cloud nine, I could look at how other translators handled words and then come up with what the better reading would be. Then I came upon Matthew 17:21, when I tried to find it in the newer Bibles and it wasn’t there so I checked the Greek, it wasn't there! No explanation just a blank. By that time I had a pretty good start on a library so a started digging. I found out that the verse was not considered to be in the original manuscripts.

Talk about jerking the rug out from under a guy… I felt like it was no use studying the bible anymore… if that was added at a later date what else had been added? After about a week of agonizing over this something strange happened. A man came in the office and said "I was just driving down the interstate (about five miles from my office) and thought I would stop and see if there were any jobs to be had in this area" I told him that we were not hiring and wished him luck. He was about to turn around and leave when the thought hit me that he was a long way from the interstate and maybe the Lord had led him to me so I could give him a Gospel Tract. He looked at and said I have something in the car for you and came back with a tact called "An Eye Opener" handed it to me and left.

The tract told about how modern Bible versions were based upon a different set of manuscripts than the KJV and listed, I think, two hundred verses that were missing words or even the whole verse. For the next two or three years, I studied everything I could find on bible versions, I got on the Internet and found tuns of stuff on Bible Versions and began debating others on the Internet. In that time I have had men with Drs degrees argue me right down to the ground, with quotes from dead men and fifty dollar words, but I always came back to one simple conclusion…the new bibles are translated from manuscripts that are different from the KJV, they say different things and if the new bibles are correct that means that God let all those generations of Christians, that didn’t have the NIV etc, down by not preserving his word.

For me it’s a matter of authority, I may have to dust off an English Dictionary from time to time but most of the time the context of the verse and the way the word is used in other places is all I need to know to understand what it's saying, but I know that what I'm reading is true.

I know that the posts that follow this will slam me and no doubt some will be very convincing but for me it's a faith thing.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a couple questions.

1. How do you know which set of manuscripts is correct?

2. How do you know which English translation of the manuscripts you decided were correct is the best translation and is thus your authority?

Are you aware that the 1550 Stephens TR, which the KJV is primarily based on, differs from the "Inspired, Preserved, TR" that is touted as the only pure TR, in 283 places? How do you go about determining which reading is correct?

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

A-men. [inflammatory comments snipped]
    You won't find many KJVO's posting here much, they seem to get tired and just dust their feet and move on.:praying:

#3 Salamander, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Just a couple of questions:

1. Why is it you don't know which set of manuscripts best represents the True Word of God?

2. Why is it you can't see the number of MSS beknownst as the Alexandrian MSS differ so much?

A "couple" is two in number, you asked a few questions, not a couple.:laugh:

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You are fully entitled to be KJVO.

That is your liberty in Christ. If others are granted the same liberty then everything is fine.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I am curious as to why this topic keeps getting revived.

No new information is being shared and feelings are strong. We are rehashing the rehashed.

No one from either camp ever seems to change his/her mind.

The moderators almost always have to insert some comment like "inflamatory comments deleted," so obviously we (the collection we) aren't putting our best foot forward in this discussion.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Amen C4K! It might be helpful for you to get a KJ dictionary of words that have changed meaning over the years. There are about 820 words that have changed meaning. David cloud has a dictionary on his site. You can send for a hard copy .35 cents or so or just print it out for free.

8. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MCD,

I just ignore them. I'm not going to be drawn into their useless debate. IMHO, the best Bible is the one someone will actually read and apply to their lives! (Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cewnts worth.)

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I usually do to (well, after I realized that nothing was happening), but I am curious as to the need to keep this pot stirred.

We have any number of unregistered people who read the board. I want to present the gospel and Christ's followers in a wonderful light.

I also agree about the Bible and the one someone will read.

10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MCD,

I agree that it can't be real good for a lost person to stumble in and read how Believers are arguing about what kind of Bible to read, when life begins, etc. I kind of wish this whole KJVO thing would go away, but unfortunately, it won't.

But I do know this: preaching the KJVO message won't get anyone saved. Preaching Christ, and Him crucified will.

In fact, since I'm rambling on, let me say this. I believe that very few Christians are concerned at all about the KJVO debate. But those who are, they're very vocal about it.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Agree on all counts SBCPreacher.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Untold millions are dying without Christ.
    Christians are struggling with sin and the allurements of the world.
    People are hurting with discouragements and fears.
    And we are fighting over which English Bible version to use.
    What do you think Christ thinks about that?

#12 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

... SIGH.... how true. :tear:

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

much better worded than my attempt Roger :thumbsup:

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

How do we reconcile these discussions with

"If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfill ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:"

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Umm, let's see? C4K moderates on the BB instead of reaching the very souls he complains about being allured, dying w/o Christ and also "fights" over which version to use.:flower:

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

.... and as you deem it necessary to allocate the "inflammatory" label at will.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch mercy LOL

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

woah . . .

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Uh, correct. Notice the word "we"

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Must be why i spend so little time in here, too much to do and too many to reach. meanwhile, i'm glad i've got the Word of God in the KJB and all other? well, no sense in wasting redeemable time trying to figure out what they say when i already know what the Bible says.:tongue3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.